Have you noticed gear sales slowing way down last 2 months ?

Man,
Maybe in the general sense of things but I just seen that Helios Eclipse pop fast in the sale ads.
I think people are being careful with the flim flam of used gear price gouging because of manufacturing excuses.

Covid my ass. Excuses are like assholes. Someone would be getting fired if it was my business.

Good point. there be some price gouging for sure.
My local CL has had practically nothing worthwhile in months.
And if one or 2 "worthwhile" things pop up the asking price is 3 times the gear value.

My local Craigslist is the same way. I think people are moving away from Craigslist a lot for more visibility to more people on reverb. Maybe they also feel they can charge more when everyone around them is charging inflated prices.

I used to see Dual recs every week for 850, Marshalls about the same. Now it’s pretty dead regardless of price point. I think people are being selective with their gear too because the barrier to entry to try some stuff is just high as hell now.

I've bought and sold a lot on Reverb since I joined in Fall 2019 (over 100 transactions) and right now is probably the slowest sales have been. I think people just have other priorities for their money right now since Covid restrictions have all been lifted. Also, prices have climbed to astronomical heights: Vintage gear that was previously undesirable (e.g., 70's Gibsons) has more than doubled in value and a lot of used gear is selling for 90% of new.

That all said, while sales have slowed and will probably continue to slow for some time, I don't see prices coming down drastically. Sure, new-ish guitars from the last 10 years or so will probably drop but I think the vintage market has been permanently altered. If you're buying a 70's or 80's Les Paul right now for $5000+ or an 80's JCM 800 for $3000, there's no way you're just going to take $1500. Sure, there might be a slight reduction, maybe, but I thinkin the collective zeitgeist no one wants to lose money and so these prices will hold. The Pre-Covid days of 70's Les Pauls that were $1800 and JCM 800's that were $1200 are over and I don't think those prices will ever be back.

I’m honestly not sure what’s up with the constant threads here bitching about the used market, I’ve found all sorts of deals on both reverb and eBay, Craigslist, Facebook market that would be great deals even pre-covid lately. Yeah, there’s some people still asking silly prices for stuff, who really cares? Not sure why that seems to bother people as much as it does either

Youtubers are what is driving vintage gear up, all it takes is one popular guy to make a video on a piece of gear that isn’t available anymore and it will 3x in price. Every time JHS does one of those “$50 pedals you gotta have” vids you can’t find one of those pedals for less than $200 an hour later, and those prices don’t come down too soon after that.

Youtubers are what is driving vintage gear up, all it takes is one popular guy to make a video on a piece of gear that isn’t available anymore and it will 3x in price. Every time JHS does one of those “$50 pedals you gotta have” vids you can’t find one of those pedals for less than $200 an hour later, and those prices don’t come down too soon after that.
Agreed 100%. YouTube "influencers" are more of a problem today than a help. I wish YouTube would move to an algorithm more like Tik Tok to spread the views around. Instead, as you say, as soon as Fluff or Rabea or Aguafish does some video on something, it immediately drives the price up and/or empties the stock of whatever is available. YouTube is great, and I'm glad we can find out about gear on it (more than has ever been available before, really) but I'd like to hear from some different voices instead of the same dozen Influencers.

I kinda kick myself for not doing that whole you tube influencer thing with gear, but the timing just wasn't right. In the 2000's when i bought and sold gear like a heroin addiction, and had like a few dozen pieces of gear coming through my home every month, and put it all through the ringer, opened it up, etc... you tube just wasn't the juggernaut that it is now. instead i just talked about everything on HCAF... oh well. :(

Used prices went to ridiculous levels in the last year or two, so no reason to buy right now.

I got some good deals near the beginning of Covid, and some of the things I bought are 3x the price now a year later. Ridiculous.

Used prices went to ridiculous levels in the last year or two, so no reason to buy right now.

I got some good deals near the beginning of Covid, and some of the things I bought are 3x the price now a year later. Ridiculous.
I agree there's no need to buy right now, and as Phil McKnight always says, "You don't need any of this stuff." That said, I doubt prices on high value or vintage gear will ever fall to the levels they were pre-pandemic. Maybe you might see a 10-15% reduction over the next 6-12 months as things cool off a bit, but I doubt you'll ever see those old prices return. So sure, wait it out and see what happens; but, I wouldn't set your expectation that you'll be grabbing gear at pre-pandemic prices ever again. That was just a time that is over.

Back