Have your say now (so you can't blame me later)

I love your descriptions, and the fact that you are so thoughtful in your analysis. Dont ever think otherwise. I was, as you pointed out, innacurate in your wording. But i was also having a bit of fun at your expense, but not in a negative way at all. No offense meant, bud.
Haha I know. If we didn’t make fun of each other after a certain point that would be weird. I have fun with my long winded posts. I basically try to be the opposite of the guys that just say things like “dude that sounds killer bro”

Mids, if pleasing, are fun to play. Period. I hear a sweet singing quality to them IF they are right. And Marshalls have that quality every time. The vintage ones especially. And that’s where I think the transformers come into play; not that they are so special or unobtanium but I think when they age, they just get better sounding. That’s my take anyway.
I think you’re right also, like you said when a piece of gear has great mids they seem to always be more satisfying to play even if they’re not a keeper or the best quality (vintage or new). Seems though when the mids are not on point, even if it’s still an incredible piece of gear I tend not to pick those up that often (even if keepers). The most fun things for me to play all seem to bring the mids: 20w GB’s, Klon, PAF’s, other pickups, Marshall’s, Purpleface, aged nitro Charvel, my vintage lp jr, Sg jr, Fortin 808, etc

I don’t play my JBL’s or Crescendo’s as often for that reason even though they sound huge and chug like nothing else

Haha I know. If we didn’t make fun of each other after a certain point that would be weird. I have fun with my long winded posts. I basically try to be the opposite of the guys that just say things like “dude that sounds killer bro”
I was starting to worry about you after your recent 2 - 3 month absence. I thought you went on a cross-country Antiquing road trip to hunt down the oldest nitro cellulose stained mahogany furniture you could find. A master plan to scrape off enough old finish to recycle and reuse it. Then you could fulfill your wish to strip all the poly off your non-vintage guitars and spray them with this tone of the gods recycled nitro nectar. I wonder which re-finished modern guitar will send your prized '56 LP Junior packing the soonest! I've got to hand it to you, your plan was sheer brilliance.

You've been roasted.

I was starting to worry about you after your recent 2 - 3 month absence. I thought you went on a cross-country Antiquing road trip to hunt down the oldest nitro cellulose stained mahogany furniture you could find. A master plan to scrape off enough old finish to recycle and reuse it. Then you could fulfill your wish to strip all the poly off your non-vintage guitars and spray them with this tone of the gods recycled nitro nectar. I wonder which re-finished modern guitar will send your prized '56 LP Junior packing the soonest! I've got to hand it to you, your plan was sheer brilliance.

You've been roasted.
Hah I don't know what to say, but I appreciate you missing me. My parents are really into antiques. I find it to be one of the most boring things. Funnily enough, it's just this '84 Charvel SD I have that has poly (it really irks me as you've noticed), not my newer guitars (they're nitro (newer nitro), 2 have oil sadly (not a fan either. I even prefer thin poly to oil). My '57 LP Jr is somewhere in the top 3 for me, but not sure about #1 anymore. I don't think anything will send it packing. It has a very specific sound that I think would be too hard to make obsolete even if I could somehow get a real '59 LP

Hah I don't know what to say, but I appreciate you missing me. My parents are really into antiques. I find it to be one of the most boring things. Funnily enough, it's just this '84 Charvel SD I have that has poly (it really irks me as you've noticed), not my newer guitars (they're nitro (newer nitro), 2 have oil sadly (not a fan either. I even prefer thin poly to oil). My '57 LP Jr is somewhere in the top 3 for me, but not sure about #1 anymore. I don't think anything will send it packing. It has a very specific sound that I think would be too hard to make obsolete even if I could somehow get a real '59 LP
Ahhh....obsolete. I knew I forgot one of your favorite buzz words!

Yes, I’ll take credit for that poly.
Mwuahahaha!

We had the enigmatic Leon Todd come in for some video stuff a while back, and now we're just about ready - first set of videos will be going up Sunday evening Aussie time. Thanks again for everyone who's been supportive, offered advice and opinions, cheers!

IMG_2123.jpg

Just a few things to clarify: I never used the term "weird" to describe anything tone related because "weird" is too vague of a word to be helpful. It's others who coined the term "weird mids". I've been saying that Hiwatt's, Wizard's and Fryette's have this hollow quality (sorta like a notch) somewhere in the midrange. My ears don't like that, but that's me. If you listen around the 5:30 mark in that Hiwatt video I think that's pretty good demo of the Hiwatt crunch. The speakers and pickups used have the opposite of that hollow sound and I think offset it a little bit (the pre-rola GB's used in other parts especially are the complete opposite of hollow), but I still hear the Hiwatt crunch and it's very good sound (never said otherwise) but it has that quality to it. A direct AB comparison clip to a Marshall it would make it clearer about the big difference in nature of the midrange in those amps. I think this hollow quality is possibly what could've been meant at the end of the video with the players comments when they said it wasn't as aggressive to them as Marshall's

Check out this vid (Hiwatt at :40 and Marshall at 1:05)
This is a good example of what I'm talking about with Hiwatt vs Marshall. Both sound very good, but the Marshall is to my ears so much more aggressive and imo just plain better in the midrange. If this doesn't show what I'm talking about then I'm not sure what else will. We all hear things a bit differently I guess

The Marshall has that sizzle that the Hiwatt doesn’t. More aggressive.

We had the enigmatic Leon Todd come in for some video stuff a while back, and now we're just about ready - first set of videos will be going up Sunday evening Aussie time. Thanks again for everyone who's been supportive, offered advice and opinions, cheers!
Good luck for tomorrow night brother! :rock:

Back