Helios owners: new vs 2014? Which revision?

cecilbag

So I've wanted a Helios since trying one out a few months ago. A local one just came up for sale but it's from 2014. I had been looking at the current 50w version but this is a 100w. I know they had some hum issues early on and I thought it had a loop issue as well. Just looking for any owners to chime in on what to look for and/or avoid. Thank you for the help

I had a Helios, one of the first 50 or so. It sounded fantastic. I would go with the 100w, because you can always run it in JTM30 mode, which is what I did. Killer.

HOWEVER

This amp is sorta Bogner's SLO. It doesn't sound like an SLO, but it shares a similar philosophy - it gets that one unbelievable killer sound that makes you feel like you are on top of the mountain, and sorta facilitates other tones. But it is really about that one killer tone. If you need more flexibility, you have to plot out a solution because the amp isn't designed with that in mind.

Furthermore, I feel like the Helios has more modded metal-panel than Plexi in it. The attack is faster and tighter than say a '68. That will make it more adept at modern stuff, but if you are looking for Bogner's take on a 12000 this really isn't it.

Cool amp though. I did a video back in '14 that I think is pretty representative of how the amp sounds through a quality cab.

I actually saw your clip last night. Thank you for the response. I have an SLO and a Splawn so perhaps the Helios isn't what I really need. I just really liked the thickness of the tone when I tried it at low volume. Thank you for the response. I will decide today the guy will be around later on and I will take a look at it.

It's a tough choice. I can drive one way and get a Helios for 1950 or the other way for a multi watt dual rec, with head case and brand new cab for 1600. Decisions. Thanks for the replies.

With those two, I'd go Helios. That's a good price and it is a good amp (with the caveats I mentioned).

cecilbag":1yiblblf said:
It's a tough choice. I can drive one way and get a Helios for 1950 or the other way for a multi watt dual rec, with head case and brand new cab for 1600. Decisions. Thanks for the replies.
That's a tough choice! The recto is the better deal if you look purely at money. If it's a Mesa cab, you could sell it and the case and end up with a newer Rectifier for under a grand :yes: That's a good price on the Helios too though. I guess it comes down to old school modded plexi vs high gain modern metal goodness. The recto can do a lot more than that, but still.

I'd like to see Bogner put out a more "full featured" Helios amp at some point. Full on clean channel, footswitchable modes, MIDI...the whole shebang.

Helios all day if your looking for great modded marshall tones. Recto if your looking for no tone. LOL

Yes the cab is a few month old Mesa traditional cab. I like rectos but the Helios clips sounded great. Was able to check it out today and I didn't find anything I don't already get from my old Splawn. Thanks for the help guys, glad I was able to skip another amp I would've ended up flipping anyway. Skipping the Helios. Now my switcher took a crap so I need them figure out if I get a boss es8 or just grab an fx8 and go all in one..

CaseyCor":u0fhkhb6 said:
I'd like to see Bogner put out a more "full featured" Helios amp at some point. Full on clean channel, footswitchable modes, MIDI...the whole shebang.

Yes that would be killer. I pretty much lived in Hot 70s mode. If it had real deal Clean Channel would be it.

I have a QR and a Helios 100. For harder rock gain tones they are definitely very similar. The QR can get heavier in gear 3 and I like the Helios lower gain tones.
The Helios has some of that Bogner signature mid grind going on. I have been favoring it for that as well as the top end which I find easier to dial in. Both are aggressive but there is something a bit more raw about the Helios.
Overlap for sure but also some things that set them apart.

peckhart":28urkfft said:
I have a QR and a Helios 100. For harder rock gain tones they are definitely very similar. The QR can get heavier in gear 3 and I like the Helios lower gain tones.
The Helios has some of that Bogner signature mid grind going on. I have been favoring it for that as well as the top end which I find easier to dial in. Both are aggressive but there is something a bit more raw about the Helios.
Overlap for sure but also some things that set them apart.
Very well said! The Helios is probably the most raw/lively sounding amp made today. It can almost get as raw as the old marshalls and mesas but still not quite. Great amp though!

LP Freak":le2eo8za said:
Still nobody's answered the OP's original question...Which is better..new or 2014?

Can't answer that with any first hand experience. Mine is from 2016 and there are no noise issues like early ones were reported to have. I tried to stay away from getting an early one.

The newer 50 watt Helios have the gold piping across the front now from what i've seen. Mine does and its a kick ass amp. I like it way more than early 100 watt I had.

there were no confirmed noise issues with the Helios, only user error
and that may have been one user who went very quiet after receiving a replacement

I run a 50 from the first batch and it is as quiet as can be
a stonking amp

zewango":3uv953y2 said:
The newer 50 watt Helios have the gold piping across the front now from what i've seen. Mine does and its a kick ass amp. I like it way more than early 100 watt I had.
Tone is in the piping

Even though you already made your decision I would have gone with the recto deal as you had the Helios covered in spades with what you already have. I'm not a big recto fan but still would like one as they have a unique sound that only they can do and it's fun in the room. Just terrible for me recorded.

It's a great amp for sure. I much preferred it over bogners ive personally owned but wasn't different enough from what I have to justify getting it. Thanks for the help guys

Back