Hello, Rig-Talk noob!! Some Bogner Uberschall questions. .

koury73

Hello all, after sifting through the forum I figured I'd finally get my feet wet and post on here. I am currently interested in getting a Bogner Uberschall head. Unfortunately there is NO store in Houston TX that has one on the shelf. I know there are several revisions to the head, and I would like to know the pros and cons to each of them. Clean tone I am not too worried about but it would be nice to have. My main concern is which one is the meanest of all gain wise. I have had several nicer end high gain tube heads, but nothing in the "botique" range. Just something about the uberschall that sounds so freakin awesome. Thanks in advance guys for your replies.

Check out the Bogner forum on here and look back thru the countless threads and you will find the info you seek...that is what I did when I bought my uber. And welcome to the forum from a new member myself.

Head over to the Bogner subforum - we'll see you there :thumbsup:

Uberschall TJ is fuckin' monstrous :D

Thanks for the welcomes fellas. And thanks for the info on the bogner dealer in Austin. From all that I read, it looks like the twin jet would be the best suitable for me. I was under the impression that the clean channel on that particular amp would not clean up but after reading some it looks like it will.

koury73":s61xnsj9 said:
Thanks for the welcomes fellas. And thanks for the info on the bogner dealer in Austin. From all that I read, it looks like the twin jet would be the best suitable for me. I was under the impression that the clean channel on that particular amp would not clean up but after reading some it looks like it will.
You can clean it up with the EQ, or, you can get a mod done in house at Bogner that cleans it right up via taper, and doesn't sacrifice the gain on tap when it goes from clean to mean on the 1st channel.

Mo

I got my uber TJ with the purple mod thru Brad, the HMFIC here.

It may sound like heresy, but the clean channel sounds pretty good. MV up and gain down with a tele and a compressor, for shits and grins was not bad. Great amp and very versatile. The high gain is epic...

Welcome on and enjoy the ride.

Well I found one I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on. Its a rev blue, with the metal grill. Its 1450, and from what I can find thats a pretty good price. I'll know within a few more days whether I can get it or not.

The Twin Jet is arguably the meanest of the bunch, but with the trade off of also having the highest resale value, so expect to pay a little more for one over the other revisions. If you buy an used one make sure it's got KT88's and not EL34's, it sounds like crap with EL34's.

The revision blue is arguably the "softest" of the bunch.

As far as what an Uberschall sounds like, some people may not agree with me, but it has some very similar characteristics of the Rectifier Solo heads. That in your face grind comes to mind, but with the Ubers having a stronger mid focused sound that cuts a little better than a recto to me.

RJF":2d1fzh07 said:
The Twin Jet is arguably the meanest of the bunch, but with the trade off of also having the highest resale value, so expect to pay a little more for one over the other revisions. If you buy an used one make sure it's got KT88's and not EL34's, it sounds like crap with EL34's.

The revision blue is arguably the "softest" of the bunch.

As far as what an Uberschall sounds like, some people may not agree with me, but it has some very similar characteristics of the Rectifier Solo heads. That in your face grind comes to mind, but with the Ubers having a stronger mid focused sound that cuts a little better than a recto to me.

I'm not sure I completely agree about the TJ being the "meanest". I've owned a TJ and a Green Uber and the original Uber sounds WAY heavier in my opinion, lots more mid range bite while the TJ sounds more round. Both are great amps. Just my 2c's. Friendly debate. :)

I own a rev blue and i used to have a tj, i owned both at the same time and liked the rev blue better and sold the tj. Lately it seems like theres more tj fans but i wasnt a fan.

The green is my favorite of the bunch had a blue, green and twin jet. The only one I truly miss is the green. It was very hifi and tons of nice bottom and a bit of sag to go along.

I've never seen a Rev green for sale?? I got my sights on a couple right now and will be pulling the trigger on one in the next few days. I can't wait to get my hands on one. I hope it lives up to all of the anticipation I have had trying to make this happen.

koury73":1ja2k3qm said:
I've never seen a Rev green for sale?? I got my sights on a couple right now and will be pulling the trigger on one in the next few days. I can't wait to get my hands on one. I hope it lives up to all of the anticipation I have had trying to make this happen.

Funny thing about boutique amps and anticipation. It all really comes down to your ears and what you want/need to hear to be satisfied. Lot of guys here (and elsewhere) love the VHT/Fryette Pittbull Ultra Lead. I owned one for the better part of a year and it did little for me. Didn't hate it, but wasn't even close to a "holy grail" amp for me. Same goes for the Elmwood Modena that I'd lusted after for years. And same goes for the Twin Jet Uber that sat at my house for a couple of weeks (it was a friend's). By itself it was "pretty good", but only acheived orgasmic status when run in stereo with my XTC. That tone was the HUGEST, grindiest, meatiest, etc tone I've ever had. It was awesome. But take one away and it was "meh" for me. As a stand-alone, drop-tuned metal amp I much prefer my current Engl Powerball 2 over the Twin Jet, Modena and the Ultra Lead. But a lot of guys dismiss the Powerballs. So ultimately ONLY your ears count and if you find an Uber that lights your fire then great! Cause Bogners are great amps, period! :rock:

The powerball II is a close runner up for me for sure as well. Definately my second choice. I have played the original powerball and have never gotten the chance to play the newest model. The thing I liked about the ENGL is that it seems to be a little more flexible than the Bogner. Of course the XTC and The Diezel amps etc. . are a little out of my price range at the time, but something about the Uber just stands out to me. Hopefully it WILL be my holy grail, but I've played this game long enough to know that my expectations usually exceed the reality of how good the stuff is. Heck I'm playing through a Peavey JSX now which I actually really like. I am just hoping it at least smokes that.

koury73":1nb5coy5 said:
Hello all, after sifting through the forum I figured I'd finally get my feet wet and post on here. I am currently interested in getting a Bogner Uberschall head. Unfortunately there is NO store in Houston TX that has one on the shelf. I know there are several revisions to the head, and I would like to know the pros and cons to each of them. Clean tone I am not too worried about but it would be nice to have. My main concern is which one is the meanest of all gain wise. I have had several nicer end high gain tube heads, but nothing in the "botique" range. Just something about the uberschall that sounds so freakin awesome. Thanks in advance guys for your replies.

Try Guitar Center on Westheimer - they carry Custom Shop Bogner. Last time i was there they had Twin Jet, Goldfinger 45, Ecstasy heads. Ask for Brian Lacher...he's into those kinda amps

Back