Help. Thinking about a Les Paul

stratjacket

Never owned a Les Paul. Never owned any Gibson, not because I have anything against Gibson, just don’t like any of their designs. I love Super Strats and that’s pretty much all I go for. However a few years ago I branched out and tried PRS and really liked them. Recently I’ve been thinking hard to try a Les Paul and been researching the ESP Eclipse and very recently looking at Gibson’s.

I want to stay below $2k, and probably used, preferably a good used guitar in the low $1k that represents a good LP. Looking for brand and/or specific model recommendations. I’ve been eye balling this as it seems different and pretty cool:
gibson-electric-guitars-solid-body-gibson-les-paul-classic-seafoam-green-2017-u3602562401-28853727690887_160x160.progressive.jpg

For your price range? Get a traditional specced ESP E-ii.

over 2k? play a shit ton of standards and find a good one.

There's good studios, traditionals out there too, but its very hard to find them and youre very lucky if you do.

I've just had better luck with the slightly higher end guitars from gibson.

In the low 1k the Eii eclipse simply CANNOT be beat, as far as specs and setup.

If you HAVE to have more traditional, or new, from that price range, I would suggest Prestige guitars out of vancouver BC. I have one that easily hangs with anything Gibson USA has to offer.

I would definitely say try before you buy if possible. Gibson is going to feel very clunky and uncomfortable coming from a Super Strat. It’s one of those things that you have to stick it out until it feels natural. Strat’s used to feel uncomfortable to me until I started playing them on a regular basis and now I can go between an LP and a Strat and neither feel odd

I would definitely say try before you buy if possible. Gibson is going to feel very clunky and uncomfortable coming from a Super Strat. It’s one of those things that you have to stick it out until it feels natural. Strat’s used to feel uncomfortable to me until I started playing them on a regular basis and now I can go between an LP and a Strat and neither feel odd

This is so true, about sticking with it. I HATED strats, forever. But after playing some really nice ones, I eventually adapted and got it.

I've always loved singlecuts, but i totally understand a new person not being able to adapt.

My advice would be, when you start playing gibson style guitars, stick to distorted ACDC riffs and power chords at first - so you can feel the ease and muscle that people love. After youre used to THAT, then start playing leads on a les paul - its very different feeling compared to strats or SSs.

Another great option for LPs is Edwards. Had a Jimmy Page relic model for a few years.
It didn't have the sheen like a US custom shop but totally got the job done
and sounded killer both plugged and unplugged. Even had a long tenon joint.

Think they make all the different flavors (standard, goldtop, black and white customs, etc.)

jimmy_page2_021.jpg

A note about Edwards.
The tops are solid maple but any figuring will be a thin veneer.
One of the reasons their prices are a bit lower.

I've heard good things about the FGN single cuts. I had the same question a few months ago and I spent an entire weekend trying out single cuts. The LTD/ESP's were close to the feeling of a super strat imho. The full thickness models might me the closer to the gibson style. Personally I ended up with an LP Classic after trying every single cut I could get my hands on in my city.

I would love to have an E-ii but the EC1000 LTD's are damn good.

The only Les pauls I own that I didn’t play first needed full refrets on both and they were original Norlins north of 4k. In your price range I cannot state how important it is to play the one you plan to buy if you’re going Gibson. I played 9 different Les pauls the day I found my traditional (the one on my Bogner XTC clip I’ve been passing around). The standard I have was something I found in a guitar center too and played first.

I only trust a Gibson that’s had the piss played out of it or I can play first. I trust nothing else sight unseen.

I do recommend checking out a heritage but you’ll need to swap pickups on the 150 series IMO. When I played them they were more vintage PAF style and not hot like players on this forum normally like. I’d say I actually like the stock BB2 in my traditional over whatever is in the heritage 150.

ESP makes a great intermediate guitar but I wanted Gibson on the headstock and wanted some different tastes of Les pauls.

When you find one that speaks to you, you’ll realize what all the hype is about. There’s a lot of duds out there, but you’ll find one eventually.

When you find one that speaks to you, you’ll realize what all the hype is about. There’s a lot of duds out there, but you’ll find one eventually.
This. They vary wildly as far as era and model, but everyone just "knows" if its a good les paul. Theres some weird voodoo that happens more often in expensive vintage and custom shop stuff, but still happens in production models too. If you can find one, whether its a traditional, standard, supreme, good wood, whatever era - theres just this unquantifiable thing that they all have, and everyone knows it when they play one.

The only Les pauls I own that I didn’t play first needed full refrets on both and they were original Norlins north of 4k. In your price range I cannot state how important it is to play the one you plan to buy if you’re going Gibson. I played 9 different Les pauls the day I found my traditional (the one on my Bogner XTC clip I’ve been passing around). The standard I have was something I found in a guitar center too and played first.

I only trust a Gibson that’s had the piss played out of it or I can play first. I trust nothing else sight unseen.

I do recommend checking out a heritage but you’ll need to swap pickups on the 150 series IMO. When I played them they were more vintage PAF style and not hot like players on this forum normally like. I’d say I actually like the stock BB2 in my traditional over whatever is in the heritage 150.

ESP makes a great intermediate guitar but I wanted Gibson on the headstock and wanted some different tastes of Les pauls.

Yeah, that’s what’s got me so gun shy, all the quality issues that are constantly reported. I’ve purchased some $3k+ and a couple $4k guitars and couldn’t imagine paying that much for a screwed up guitar.

I just want to get something that’s “real” to satisfy the itch so if I do or don’t like it, I won’t be thinking ‘I cut corners and didn’t give it a real shot’. But it’s also not a $2k+ itch.

You know, what’s silly is this started because I sold a guitar a while back and took cash + a set of Suhr Aldrich pickups. The Bridge is 50mm and I don’t have any guitars that are 50mm bridges. So I started thinking about what I could put them in and that led me to start thinking fuck-it, go ahead and try a Les Paul for once. Funny how this shit goes…

You’ve got a set of 50mm pickups, of course you need a Gibson to put them in! :rock: 😎

Go hit up every guitar center/Sam ash in your area and the first thing to do is just start playing them. Traditionals are for sure thicker 59 style necks and baseball bats, but I like necks like that as it brings in some VERY solid lows and low mids that thin necks don’t. Standards are thinner and 60’s profile. Les Paul customs are 60’s profile, but mid to early 70’s Les pauls tapered more aggressively from the factory from nut to heel.

Don’t worry about sticky necks on Les pauls - you can take 0000 steel wool to knock that down so that when it gets warm, it doesn’t stick. When /if you want to sell it, you’re just a buff away from good as new.

Traditionals don’t have weight relieving but some years recently did. Standards do have weight relief. Classics are similar to traditionals but have different pickups and no figured tops.

It takes time to find good gibsons. I have 4 and the two non Norlin models were a once a year find looking pretty aggressively. Keep an open mind and treat all as if they are the one. The guitar will sound and play the part and tell you whether it’s the one or not. I will say I’ve played many more duds than good ones.

Never owned a Les Paul. Never owned any Gibson, not because I have anything against Gibson, just don’t like any of their designs. I love Super Strats and that’s pretty much all I go for. However a few years ago I branched out and tried PRS and really liked them. Recently I’ve been thinking hard to try a Les Paul and been researching the ESP Eclipse and very recently looking at Gibson’s.

I want to stay below $2k, and probably used, preferably a good used guitar in the low $1k that represents a good LP. Looking for brand and/or specific model recommendations. I’ve been eye balling this as it seems different and pretty cool:
gibson-electric-guitars-solid-body-gibson-les-paul-classic-seafoam-green-2017-u3602562401-28853727690887_160x160.progressive.jpg
If you are used to super strats then a Gibson will feel clunky in comparison. The PRS single cuts are sleeker than Gibson.

But try many Gibsons and you may fall in love with one. I have a 2000 Les Paul Special that is not only sentimental to me, but the notes really sing off of the fretboard. Very full and resonant. I'll die with that guitar.

For me, it comes down to where I can
seat my right hand on the bridge, the distance
from that "posting up" palm position, to the volume control and tone controls..
wtf's the toggle again?
So for me it's a matter of vibing with the ABR
or the tremolo style end of it.
Strats/335's hang & rest against human bodies
in awkward feels for many and the ole'
SG heavy headstock syndrome-- (HHS)..
Dude!, find a strap that's not smooth on the inside!!, that works man!!

They vary wildly as far as era and model, but everyone just "knows" if its a good les paul. Theres some weird voodoo that happens more often in expensive vintage and custom shop stuff, but still happens in production models too.

I call them happy accidents. You can tell almost immediately when playing them unplugged.
IMO, don't even bother plugging in an LP if it first doesn't feel and sound real good unplugged.
It should have an almost acoustic quality to it. Very even sounding across the entire fretboard.
Plugged in is just icing on the cake after that.

Another trick (again unplugged) is to hit an open chord and then lightly touch the tip of the headstock
to see how long the vibrations ring. You'd be surprised. Some will choke off pretty quickly.
You want one that tails off nice and evenly.

Last edited:
Back