Help with Mills cab.

Hi guys. I have a Mills Afterburner straight 4X12 with an X pattern of v30's and K100's. When I first got it, it was hands down the best cab I ever heard. Super deep lows but tight and had highs to match. Every other cab sounded like a tin can. These days I've noticed it sounds really really dark and muffled. Lows are boomy and not tight. Not as pronounced as they were. Still a huge sounding cab but sounds kind of blah. Every amp I play through it I have to crank presence super high to get it to brighten up but then the amp sounds to shrill. Could this be due to speakers finally being broke in? Is it the K100's? Did the dude design the cab around brand new unbroken in speakers?

Can you try a different amp through it? Maybe one of your pre tubes is going and affecting your tone instead of the cab...

Racerxrated":21asyv62 said:
Can you try a different amp through it? Maybe one of your pre tubes is going and affecting your tone instead of the cab...
No I've played quite a few different heads through it recently.

If the cab was sealed with silicone when it dries it offgasses stuff that degrades some of the adhesives in the speakers. If you have other speakers I would swap them to see if it is speakers, or cab.

I've got 3. Sound great and get the tits knocked off em on the regs. High gain and low tuning's, loud playing. Had them for a few years too. I've got EVM 12L 200 watters in 2 cabs and Scumback H series in the other. My guess would be speakers. Get in and have a look around. Have a knowledgeable mate help you out if you don't know what you're doing. If that's not an option take to a reputable store. Not Guitar placenta!!!

Intimidator333":2k7mkneg said:
Could this be due to speakers finally being broke in? Is it the K100's? Did the dude design the cab around brand new unbroken in speakers?

Could be, could be, and could be. A friend's Orange 4x12 got used regularly very loud for 2 years, louder than necessary really. It lost a lot of its bite and sounded warmer/rounder afterward. I don't blast amps that loud very often so I never stress the speakers that much so I've never experienced that kind of "break-in", to that extent. I guess it could also be the speaker cones picking up a bit of moisture from the basement it was played in, although it wasn't particularly damp in that basement.

JamesPeters":8gxbp5sq said:
Intimidator333":8gxbp5sq said:
Could this be due to speakers finally being broke in? Is it the K100's? Did the dude design the cab around brand new unbroken in speakers?

Could be, could be, and could be. A friend's Orange 4x12 got used regularly very loud for 2 years, louder than necessary really. It lost a lot of its bite and sounded warmer/rounder afterward. I don't blast amps that loud very often so I never stress the speakers that much so I've never experienced that kind of "break-in", to that extent. I guess it could also be the speaker cones picking up a bit of moisture from the basement it was played in, although it wasn't particularly damp in that basement.
Thanks for the replies guys. Funny James, I read your reply literally just seconds from writing you an email to the Peters address about your amps.
Yeah I did push it pretty dang hard. My old band I used to play in had a drummer that had some ridiculously loud maple double bass Pearl kit and he hit hard too. After that band broke up it had only been used in my bedroom at whisper quiet volumes for a few years. Just recently, I have gotten some new projects together and started jamming that cab loud again and that's when I started to notice the problem.
Guess I should try some different speakers before giving up on the cab considering how much I paid for it new and how awesome it used to sound.

No.matter the issue it can be fixed, its either the cab needs resealing or the speakers need replacement. Nothing else can happen.

moltenmetalburn":2ukc26an said:
No.matter the issue it can be fixed, its either the cab needs resealing or the speakers need replacement. Nothing else can happen.
Yeah I don't see how it could be anything else. Only thing with changing speakers is will I have the same problem again after they break in? I guess I can try swapping some already broken in speakers with a friend to test it out.

I'd definitely try swapping speakers. First I'd check that there aren't a bunch of loose screws in the cabinet in case air is escaping out a handle, the back panel, etc. since that can warm up the sound and make it "looser" too. (Plus don't over-tighten your speaker bolts! You can bend the speaker frames if you do.) But after that I'd think the next step is swapping speakers.

Eventually you're going to end up with the same situation if the speakers changed sound due to use at higher volume for extended periods of time. Things you can do to mitigate that (pick one or more:)

-don't play quite as loud
-don't play with quite as much bass when you are playing very loud (since all that extra low end energy is basically being wasted anyway, and making your speakers work that much harder)
-use a second cab to augment your overall volume (this is why I don't break in my cabs quite as much as some people; if I were blasting an amp super loud, it was usually going through two cabs)

But hey, some people are looking for broken-in speakers as long as they're in good condition overall. Mention that in your ad, saying you'd gladly swap for new since you're looking for the extra bite and don't want the warmth you're getting from these broken-in speakers. You might find someone willing to trade, even if they expect a bit of cash on top.

JamesPeters":24ke4twa said:
I'd definitely try swapping speakers. First I'd check that there aren't a bunch of loose screws in the cabinet in case air is escaping out a handle, the back panel, etc. since that can warm up the sound and make it "looser" too. (Plus don't over-tighten your speaker bolts! You can bend the speaker frames if you do.) But after that I'd think the next step is swapping speakers.

Eventually you're going to end up with the same situation if the speakers changed sound due to use at higher volume for extended periods of time. Things you can do to mitigate that (pick one or more:)

-don't play with quite as much bass when you are playing very loud (since all that extra low end energy is basically being wasted anyway, and making your speakers work that much harder)
-use a second cab to augment your overall volume (this is why I don't break in my cabs quite as much as some people; if I were blasting an amp super loud, it was usually going through two cabs)

But hey, some people are looking for broken-in speakers as long as they're in good condition overall. Mention that in your ad, saying you'd gladly swap for new since you're looking for the extra bite and don't want the warmth you're getting from these broken-in speakers. You might find someone willing to trade, even if they expect a bit of cash on top.
I always thought cabs were supposed to sound better after the speakers were broke in. I definitely played it loud and hard but not so loud that I think it would push the speakers that far. My main thing with this cab is I don't want to put new speakers in it just to go dull on me again. I want a cab that sounds good after the speakers are broke in.

Intimidator333":21fcos6n said:
JamesPeters":21fcos6n said:

I always thought cabs were supposed to sound better after the speakers were broke in. I definitely played it loud and hard but not so loud that I think it would push the speakers that far. My main thing with this cab is I don't want to put new speakers in it just to go dull on me again. I want a cab that sounds good after the speakers are broke in.

Speakers sound different when broken in. If you loved the cab new, it makes sense to think it wouldn't improve when the speakers are broken in.

People who claim speakers "always sound better when broken in" happen to like the sound of broken-in speakers. :) They tend to get warmer and rounder, and some people like it and some people don't. It's a preference, not an absolute. I find stock off-the-shelf V30 (made in China) to sound great right out of the box, for instance. At least for how I use them. Actually I like a bit of break-in, but I mean like 2 weeks of use at moderate-to-loud volumes. After that I find (for how I use them) that they sound basically the same for years.

Speakers will change in their sound as they're broken in especially if you're blasting the amp very loud very often. If you want to ensure less break-in is possible though, other than what I mentioned already you can buy speakers that are rated for very high power output and have lots of doping around the edges. I can't name any speaker in particular you might like, but if you've used enough speakers maybe something will come to mind.

Alternately you can try your current speakers in other cabs, and then just use a cab in which you like the sound of them. I wouldn't be surprised if you preferred them in a Marshall slant for instance. A lot of talk about broken-in speakers sounding better seems to come from people using the most common and relatively brighter sounding cabs like that.

JamesPeters":y0vchiw9 said:
Intimidator333":y0vchiw9 said:
JamesPeters":y0vchiw9 said:

Speakers sound different when broken in. If you loved the cab new, it makes sense to think it wouldn't improve when the speakers are broken in.

People who claim speakers "always sound better when broken in" happen to like the sound of broken-in speakers. :) They tend to get warmer and rounder, and some people like it and some people don't. It's a preference, not an absolute. I find stock off-the-shelf V30 (made in China) to sound great right out of the box, for instance. At least for how I use them. Actually I like a bit of break-in, but I mean like 2 weeks of use at moderate-to-loud volumes. After that I find (for how I use them) that they sound basically the same for years.

Speakers will change in their sound as they're broken in especially if you're blasting the amp very loud very often. If you want to ensure less break-in is possible though, other than what I mentioned already you can buy speakers that are rated for very high power output and have lots of doping around the edges. I can't name any speaker in particular you might like, but if you've used enough speakers maybe something will come to mind.

Alternately you can try your current speakers in other cabs, and then just use a cab in which you like the sound of them. I wouldn't be surprised if you preferred them in a Marshall slant for instance. A lot of talk about broken-in speakers sounding better seems to come from people using the most common and relatively brighter sounding cabs like that.
Cool. I have been borrowing a Marshall slant from a buddy that has 4 of them. This one has V30's and Greenbacks in an X pattern and I actually really like it. Doesn't have the chunk like the Mills or a Mesa has that I like but I like how tight and punchy it is. The first cab I had when I had my Engl Savage was a Marshall slant AV cab and I really liked that cab alot.

I hope you get this sorted. It does seem a bit perplexing.

I think it is safe to say that most recorded tones that we love and hold dear were recorded with broken in speakers.

I personally find brand new speakers to be stiff, shrill and just all wrong on frequency response - and I'm talking Celestions and Splawn Small Blocks.

I guess I'm a bit out of the loop in a way, since I only use my own amps now. With them, I don't have any problems getting the sound a bit more soft/warm by turning the damping control down.

Yeah, for sure.

Wasn't trying to call your comments out directly James.

Different amps will have different characteristics and variables. Forgot all about the dampening control. Dooh!

No problem! I just had realized I was talking from my own bubble. :) I still play other amps once in a while but usually at other's houses or at stores.

Well look at that! #05010 has a new home! :) 11 years old now. I hope you like it!

311splawndude":2kidlhhu said:
I hope you get this sorted. It does seem a bit perplexing.

I think it is safe to say that most recorded tones that we love and hold dear were recorded with broken in speakers.

I personally find brand new speakers to be stiff, shrill and just all wrong on frequency response - and I'm talking Celestions and Splawn Small Blocks.
I've always felt the same about new speaker. That's why I'm curious if he designed the cab around new unbroken I'm speakers and it will always dull out with speaker break in.

Intimidator333":20k4rfkd said:
I've always felt the same about new speaker. That's why I'm curious if he designed the cab around new unbroken I'm speakers and it will always dull out with speaker break in.

The thing is, I've known people with Mills cabs they've owned for years and none of them have mentioned what you have mentioned. For all we know it could be a loose panel (or some other screws), one faulty speaker (if you haven't tested each one who knows), etc. Or, it could just be that you punished yours more and then that sort of thing happens. Marshall for instance didn't design cabs to sound better with broken-in speakers; they picked speakers they liked and ran with them. Same for every other cab maker I know of actually. If the speakers get "old and tired" sounding to that degree, maybe something about the cab's design could've been responsible for it happening a bit sooner (such as greater internal volume allowing the speakers to flex more without "back pressure" from the internal reflected waves...like an open-back cab versus a closed-back cab for instance). And if the cab were specifically built around the sound of a new speaker, since they're not expected to change dramatically in their sound unless used excessively loud for years, that's fair too.

Anyway good luck getting a proper (truthful) answer from any cab builder about them building a cab "meant to sound good with broken-in speakers". The actual truth is: what do you mean "broken-in" because to some it means "not quite fresh-out-of-the-box sounding" and to others it means "beaten to death for years". :)

Back