Herbert for thrash tones???? Sickkkkkkk!

I've never been able to get along with basically any Diezel at all, including the Herbert, so I gotta say... much respect to anybody who can make a Diezel sound that good, lol. :ROFLMAO:

Haha they ain’t for everyone! And honestly for some things yea I mean it wouldn’t be my first choice. I guess it times they may be too “smooth” and pretty sounding for some things. But sometimes, you REALLY want that sound. I guess that’s why it was such a breath of fresh air because lately I’ve been gravitating towards really raw, aggressive, borderline dryish type tones, so to plug into this thing was a complete 180 and felt great. One of the few amps to me that truly lived up to the hype at its release ( to me anyways).

Haha they ain’t for everyone! And honestly for some things yea I mean it wouldn’t be my first choice. I guess it times they may be too “smooth” and pretty sounding for some things. But sometimes, you REALLY want that sound. I guess that’s why it was such a breath of fresh air because lately I’ve been gravitating towards really raw, aggressive, borderline dryish type tones, so to plug into this thing was a complete 180 and felt great. One of the few amps to me that truly lived up to the hype at its release ( to me anyways).

Man I hear that. Sometimes you just want something out of left field from what you normally do, and it's great when you can find it in unexpected places! I find a lot of amps to be more or less straight upgrades or downgrades in terms of being closer or farther to the ideal tone I'm hearing in my head, so it's cool (but rare) to find true "sidegrade" amps that give you something completely different, but that still sit in the spectrum of "your" sound.

Same deal with me and the XTC 101B. It's normally not my go-to amp for the modern tight high gain tones where I typically live, it's way more vintage, raw, jagged, greasy etc, but man is it perfect for "that" sound, and with pedals it can even do a different flavor of the tight modern thing too.

people make the 57/421 sound great, every time i try it its "what the fuck is this shit?!" :LOL:

The key for me is to just to barely blend it in. People turn up whatever secondary mic they are using far too high a lot of times. This May be your problem, but it’s hard to say without hearing it of course. The 421 I put up the highest, and it’s still 10-12db below the sm57.I really like the m201 with the 57 as well, and I never put that higher than about -16db under the sm57, sometimes as low as -20 or -22db. It fills out the low midrange but it’ll get real messy real quick if you are listening intently.

This is the least sexy part of all of this, but this is the single most important thing: you gotta compare fairly, and this means at the exact same levels. Compare a reamp of just a 57, and then compare it with the track that’s a 57/421 mix, but at the same volume. Get a plugin like waves WLM for super cheap to do this. It’s crucial when comparing so that you aren’t fooled into thinking something is better just because it’s louder. I know for a fact most don’t do this, but if you truly want to compare anything really, it is a must. When you do this, a lot of people are very surprised and then often see why I prefer ( personally) a single 57 a lot of the times. Gotta volume match, absolutely have to. For anything.

Phenomenallllll amp man. It’s just such a banger. I will tell you straight up, the Herbert to me is THE single most dynamic high gain amp I’ve ever heard. It is not at all as super compressed as everyone makes it sound like it is, to me . It has wayyy more headroom than the VH4 as well. I’m sure not everyone will agree with me on this, but it is 100 percent true in my opinion from what I’ve experienced.
Sounds insanely good mate! Love the clip!

How do you rate the Herb against the recto rev f?

I own both myself but haven't had the chance to put them up against each other yet.

Also what version of Herbert is this?

amazing tones!
in the early days when tone merchants in orange county was the main dealer for the VH4, peter brought his herbert prototype to the shop and i was in the room when he cranked it up. it had a quartet if 6550s and no mid cut switch at the time and it was a cannon to the chest.

the subsequent revisions he made really sculpted it into a monster amp. not my wheelhouse but i admired the amp’s capabilities and highly recommend it to two of my friends looking for brutal, and they both fell in love with their herberts.

the sleeper in that amp is its clean tones. beautiful.

amazing tones!
in the early days when tone merchants in orange county was the main dealer for the VH4, peter brought his herbert prototype to the shop and i was in the room when he cranked it up. it had a quartet if 6550s and no mid cut switch at the time and it was a cannon to the chest.

the subsequent revisions he made really sculpted it into a monster amp. not my wheelhouse but i admired the amp’s capabilities and highly recommend it to two of my friends looking for brutal, and they both fell in love with their herberts.

the sleeper in that amp is its clean tones. beautiful.
It’s my favorite cleans fr . Beautiful they are !

Sounds great, thanks for sharing! IMHO the absolute key to tracking Diezels well is the right mics. Sennheiser 906 works well for me, the 421 also, as well as large dia condenser mics like Neumann for room sounds. The Shure 57 - even though it's awesome and very versatile - never worked well for me (volumes matched), only blendend in like you used it.

I've never been able to get along with basically any Diezel at all, including the Herbert, so I gotta say... much respect to anybody who can make a Diezel sound that good, lol. :ROFLMAO:
When it comes to the VH4 and DMoll, me neiter; there remained this thick, almost fuzzy/wooly saturation in the low-mids that I couldn't dial out.
The Herbert however has some options to circumvent this. @VESmedic did it right by using CH2 in + mode with the mid cut engaged mildly.
Otherwise, CH3 would be too thick too for rhythm tones.

I really hoped the DMoll would be closer to the Herbert in that respect, but the DMoll had that unwanted thickness in both gain channels. Gorgeous cleans though! Like top 5 best ever!

It’s my favorite cleans fr . Beautiful they are !

When it comes to the VH4 and DMoll, me neiter; there remained this thick, almost fuzzy/wooly saturation in the low-mids that I couldn't dial out.
The Herbert however has some options to circumvent this. @VESmedic did it right by using CH2 in + mode with the mid cut engaged mildly.
Otherwise, CH3 would be too thick too for rhythm tones.

I really hoped the DMoll would be closer to the Herbert in that respect, but the DMoll had that unwanted thickness in both gain channels. Gorgeous cleans though! Like top 5 best ever!
There a recipe to keep off least the fuzziness... u need put in a hf bypass cap on the plate of the V1 and V2 .... you could compare the mk1 and some mk2 i guess... that helps, and running ya power tubes with kt77 or el34bstr would help too these are tighter cleaner tube !! Not sure about 6l6 have not tried those in yet...

Back