Herbert for thrash tones???? Sickkkkkkk!

Man, I really need to try a Herbert. Never experienced one. Only experience with a diezel was a vh4 when I was 12 and practically jizzed my pants never having played an amp that nice before.

Man, I really need to try a Herbert. Never experienced one. Only experience with a diezel was a vh4 when I was 12 and practically jizzed my pants never having played an amp that nice before.
Herbert is the only amp I live as much as Hermanson and Wizards . It’s just phenomenal.

I hadn’t plugged in my Herbert in awhile, and I forgot how much it rules. The clarity and hi Fi nature of it is really addicting, makes me fall in love with it all over again everytime.

ESP horizon EMG 57/66
Herbert Channel 3
Maxon 808
Marshall BV Cab 57/421 mic combo

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/sqwj...rt-4.wav?rlkey=u7xeb98nve3ue8wmgl676gzlw&dl=0
Yeah man sounds awesome. I didn't think you were a mic blending kinda guy? Proof's in the pudding, that combo just works.

Yeah man sounds awesome. I didn't think you were a mic blending kinda guy? Proof's in the pudding, that combo just works.
Without the 421 you'd miss a ton of low-end info that a 57 typically won't convey.

Indeed sounds awesome! Maybe it could use a -1.5 to -2dB scoop around 180-250Hz to make it just a pinch tighter sounding (I'm aware you'd trade in on 'massiveness' for the sake of clarity/tightness, but in thrash, IMO a small offer to make ;-) ), but if this tone was on a recorded album, the band should praise the engineer fer sure. (y)

Everyone associates the Herbert with HUGE fat tones, but man, I couldn't agree more that it works insanely well for thrash. The first show I played with it, we played with a band called Sworn Enemy. Their bassist Mike and their Guitarist Jeff are big time NYHC dudes, (Jeff actually techs for Anthrax and Testament o_O) and they came up to me after we played and said "dude, I've never heard a Diezel sound like THAT! - They usually sound so big and slow!"

One of my finer achievements in tone chasing :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, the tones you posted sound a lot like what I remember from the amp (haven't played it in a while, either) Channel 2 in + mode, boosted, gain around noon, mids and treble PUSHED, bass and depth around 11 o clock and the mid cut ON, but intensity dialed all the way off, level dialed up to 11 oclock - that was the trick, really made the amp more aggressive overall.

Thanks for posting this. I was looking at amps I had not played in a while last night and the Herbie was staring me in the face under a pile of other amps. I guess it's time to break it out

I had a Herbert for a hot minute back in the day and while it didn’t jive with our down tuned death metal due to said huge fatness, both the bass player and I agreed it had sick thrash tones for days.

Everyone associates the Herbert with HUGE fat tones, but man, I couldn't agree more that it works insanely well for thrash. The first show I played with it, we played with a band called Sworn Enemy. Their bassist Mike and their Guitarist Jeff are big time NYHC dudes, (Jeff actually techs for Anthrax and Testament o_O) and they came up to me after we played and said "dude, I've never heard a Diezel sound like THAT! - They usually sound so big and slow!"

But yeah, the tones you posted sound a lot like what I remember from the amp (haven't played it in a while, either) Channel 2 in + mode, boosted, gain around noon, mids and treble PUSHED, bass and depth around 11 o clock and the mid cut ON, but intensity dialed all the way off, level dialed up to 11 oclock - that was the trick, really made the amp more aggressive overall.

Thanks for posting this. I was looking at amps I had not played in a while last night and the Herbie was staring me in the face under a pile of other amps. I guess it's time to break it out
ya I’ve noticed most people set them up so weird. But they can be beyond tight if needed.Herbert to me is a piece of art . Only amp I like as much as my Hermansons and Wizards

Phenomenallllll amp man. It’s just such a banger. I will tell you straight up, the Herbert to me is THE single most dynamic high gain amp I’ve ever heard. It is not at all as super compressed as everyone makes it sound like it is, to me . It has wayyy more headroom than the VH4 as well. I’m sure not everyone will agree with me on this, but it is 100 percent true in my opinion from what I’ve experienced.

Thanks zen! Man I dunno, I think if I put this in a mix I’d “probably” still prefer just a 57. But I’m not sure. The 421 gets rid of some of the boxiness of a 57 as I’m sure you are quite aware. So I do enjoy it for that purpose. I’m just always looking for the most in your face upfront sound you can get for stuff like this, and Atleast for me, it’s very hard to do that with multiple mics. The 57 is boring to most, but it just works so perfectly for the guitar voicing and transient response to me personally. Another mic I absolutely love with the 57 is the TUL G12. I need to make some clips with that for people, they need more press because thats a phenomenal mic to me and phases better than anything else I’ve heard personally with a 57.

Without the 421 you'd miss a ton of low-end info that a 57 typically won't convey.

Indeed sounds awesome! Maybe it could use a -1.5 to -2dB scoop around 180-250Hz to make it just a pinch tighter sounding (I'm aware you'd trade in on 'massiveness' for the sake of clarity/tightness, but in thrash, IMO a small offer to make ;-) ), but if this tone was on a recorded album, the band should praise the engineer fer sure. (y)

Thanks homie, I appreciate it. And yes I agree with the cut in the 180-250 area for sure just a smidge. I’m always so worried and focused on the 330-500 range and getting rid of boxy ass midrange that I lose focus on everything else. Ironically I’m not a huge fan of API EQ’s, but the 550B with its 180hz setting is perfect for cutting. I like to cut the 180hz knob down 2-4 db, and then boost 100hz 2-4 db on the EQ, thus making the bass sit lower, and better clarity in the low mids. When it works, it’s a neat trick.

Thanks Kyle, I appreciate dude! Man I remember sworn enemy, haven’t listened to them in years. They were a solidddd fucking band I thought, really sick. I go back and forth between channel 2 and 3, they both are just so sick. Channel 3 I like a lot because it’s more saturated, even though it’s less tight. It’s got that squish that I like. My Herbert is biased pretty cold, this tightens it up and makes it brighter, which I prefer personally. I can’t even remember what I have in it right now, I “think” all genelex KT77s but I could be wrong.

I know you have a ton of shit, but if you have a good parametric eq, put it in the loop of the Herbert. I didn’t do it on this clip, but if you do roughly the same cut as the midcut knob on the amp but with the parametric eq ( roughly a Q of 1.4 at 400hz I believe is what it is on the Herbert) it sounds sooooo much better to me than using the midcut on the amp for this purpose. Engaging the midcut does something to the top end, it’s strange. Super nerdy stuff but it’s definitely there. The parametric works so damn well in the Herbert for all kinds of shit, but doing this is one of my favorite tricks on the Herbert. I definitely wouldn’t use the midcut live ( we all know how that works out if you’ve tried it) though for sure, and I love that trick of just engaging it but the intensity at zero.

Everytime I plug into it when I haven’t in awhile it’s just like man, this amp is absolutely incredible. It’s so ridiculously clear. People would always say when you mic it up it just sounds like a perfectly recorded tone, and it definitely does. Honeymoon phase reappears everytime I plug into it when I haven’t in awhile.

whats the preamps your running on V1 V2 V3 and PI .... Herbert Mk1 ? nonetheless sound awesome !!! i have an MK2 but many are keeping the MK1 lol it makes me pondering what am i loosing out... yet have heard the MK1 can be saturated and mk2 will just be less to that...

whats the preamps your running on V1 V2 V3 and PI .... Herbert Mk1 ? nonetheless sound awesome !!! i have an MK2 but many are keeping the MK1 lol it makes me pondering what am i loosing out... yet have heard the MK1 can be saturated and mk2 will just be less to that...
Really the clean channel of mk2 is only difference . I love both mk 1 and 3 . I just think mk 1 is a tad bigger sounder . Both are awesome

Back