Hey DET1973 - Marshall 2555 Jubilee does NYHC - VIDEO

killertone

Y'all do yourselves a favor and watch it on YT so you can see the description and recording details. :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/3CcJNUOwSw0

Raw tone test to see how the Jubilee can get some some SOIA and Agnostic Front style guitar tones. A bit fatter in the low mids and chunky as a fat girl at an ice cream shop. :D

I liked the BB and the tube screamer. The first real hardcore show I went to back around 1988 at the Metroplex in ATL was Agnostic Front, UK Subs and Verbal Assault :rock:

Sounds good. Do you mind sharing your amp settings? I have never gotten my 2553 to sound that heavy. I have run and eq in the loop and usually boost with a maxon od808, which is probably why the Tubescreamer is my favorite in your clip.

Jason what are your settings for that video? the amp sounds amazing! which tubes do you have in yours? i'm getting ready to install some Ruby BSTR

DET1973":2ui95m8e said:
Jason what are your settings for that video? the amp sounds amazing! which tubes do you have in yours? i'm getting ready to install some Ruby BSTR

No idea what is in the preamp...haven't changed them in forever. The power tubes are original Tesla (not JJ) EL34s. They are killer tubes and I like them just as much as the famed Mullard XF2s.

blackba":2ui95m8e said:
Sounds good. Do you mind sharing your amp settings? I have never gotten my 2553 to sound that heavy. I have run and eq in the loop and usually boost with a maxon od808, which is probably why the Tubescreamer is my favorite in your clip.

I think the 2555 has the best EQ of any of the amps they made in the 80s. I have a 2205 as well and the eq is not as sweet as the 2555. Owned many 2203/4s and feel the same way.

Here are the settings for the clip.

I can actually make it even tighter and brutal but that wasn't the point with this video. :rock:

null_zpsf800df3c.jpg

I get the feeling the BM would be more present in a mix. The others seems muddy by comparison. Perhaps leads would be a different story, but from this example, I think the BM would be the best in a mix.

killertone":1egi481t said:
DET1973":1egi481t said:

No idea what is in the preamp...haven't changed them in forever. The power tubes are original Tesla (not JJ) EL34s. They are killer tubes and I like them just as much as the famed Mullard XF2s.

blackba":1egi481t said:

I think the 2555 has the best EQ of any of the amps they made in the 80s. I have a 2205 as well and the eq is not as sweet as the 2555. Owned many 2203/4s and feel the same way.

I can actually make it even tighter and brutal but that wasn't the point with this video. :rock:

null_zpsf800df3c.jpg

I couldn't get the gain above that either or it starts flubbing out. Used a Jub for a few years in the 90's for a drop C, heavy band but ended up geting mch better results with a 5150. Back then I wasn't savvy to pedals in front of amp gain at all. I was all about straight into the amp. The Jub has a very strong EQ, I recorded a CD with it and while the sound is nice and thick I never liked the top end too much.

Rogue":q4lvrsgm said:
I get the feeling the BM would be more present in a mix. The others seems muddy by comparison. Perhaps leads would be a different story, but from this example, I think the BM would be the best in a mix.

I also have the mic off of the dustcap so it sounds much darker than it really is. What I really wanted to do was just use the mics on my camera but I kept clipping them even though I lowered the camera's mic gain all the way down. Didn't want to record the video with the amp volume too low as this is a Marshall after all and sounds much better turned up a bit so I stuck a 57 on it and let it rip.

Interesting.. would have thought diodes on diodes would sound shitty but in this case it only did with the bad monkey!! Very surprising seeing that is my go to and it made me get rid of my BB. The BB sounded flat to me. Added some low mids that just didn't do it for me here either. I liked the direct drive but the TS-9 most of all. Makes me want to try a stock TS-9 now! Never tried one with my amps.

killertone":1733fein said:
DET1973":1733fein said:

blackba":1733fein said:

null_zpsf800df3c.jpg

Maybe that's part of my problem i never run my output master above 3. Do you use or did you use the pull out gain boost at all?

Kapo_Polenton":24eujvdl said:
Interesting.. would have thought diodes on diodes would sound shitty but in this case it only did with the bad monkey!! Very surprising seeing that is my go to and it made me get rid of my BB. The BB sounded flat to me. Added some low mids that just didn't do it for me here either. I liked the direct drive but the TS-9 most of all. Makes me want to try a stock TS-9 now! Never tried one with my amps.

It is funny how the TS9 gets no love on forums even though it kicks all kinds of ass...come to think of it, most readily available gear gets no love on forums. :aww: I picked this particular TS9 out of a few other TS9s, a Maxon OD808, and an OD820. This one had something going on in it the others didn't have...my go to boost since.

I did this video pretty quick...I probably could have dialed them in to sound closer to each other but my ears were shot after a while at that volume. :LOL: :LOL:

DET1973":24eujvdl said:
Maybe that's part of my problem i never run my output master above 3. Do you use or did you use the pull out gain boost at all?

I prefer this channel on the 2555. The rhythm channel with the clip engaged is cool too for a different sound but not for heavy riffing IMO.

killertone":1g4hrf82 said:
Kapo_Polenton":1g4hrf82 said:

It is funny how the TS9 gets no love on forums even though it kicks all kinds of ass...come to think of it, most readily available gear gets no love on forums. :aww: I picked this particular TS9 out of a few other TS9s, a Maxon OD808, and an OD820. This one had something going on in it the others didn't have...my go to boost since.

I did this video pretty quick...I probably could have dialed them in to sound closer to each other but my ears were shot after a while at that volume. :LOL: :LOL:

DET1973":1g4hrf82 said:

I prefer this channel on the 2555. The rhythm channel with the clip engaged is cool too for a different sound but not for heavy riffing IMO.

I use the same channel on mine. sometimes i use the clip engaged with this channel, supposedly it adds more gain.

Stramm8":rh88wgfn said:
I liked the BB and the tube screamer. The first real hardcore show I went to back around 1988 at the Metroplex in ATL was Agnostic Front, UK Subs and Verbal Assault :rock:
Subs were one of my favorite bands ,agnostics first album was pretty great too.

I will try those settings Killertone. I typically run my output master at 4 and lead master at 6. Input gain between 5 to 8. In the last band I was in, I was able to crank my 2553 a lot more, to about 6 on the output master, man did it sound good there. At the time I was running it through a Marshall 1936 212 cab copy with 2 Classic Lead 80's. I now run mine through the matching 212 with 2 WGS ET-65's. I changed the back panel to a plywood back, that helped tighten up the sound considerably.

I have been kicking around putting new electrolytic caps in mine, but the line if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind.

I love the Direct Drive. I put one in front of my Mark III and it has been there ever since but I must say the TS9 is now on my want list.
Nice comparison and as always great playing.

Back