How bad is Kirk Hammett - let's be honest.

He's garbage and wasn't that great of a live player but he did put in a solid 10 years and his work up and Including the black album was good and fit the music. Might have been pentatonics and basic tapping but he played it with fire and had some really cool lead breaks. I think his studio work during that time was very good. Boredom, other interests and wah pedals ruined him. He's total shit now.

Hammett is part of a machine, you can pick any guitarist you want and, in the words of Andriy Vasylenko, "You sure could go heavy on your own, but four dudes will still kick your lone ass."

I've always thought Kirk was the luckiest guitarist in metal. To get that gig was enormous. Whether he deserved it or not he got it. I think he's fine in the rhythm department. The thing that bothers me about Kirk is his solos. Its not just his vibrato that stinks but also when he tries to bend up to a note he just always seem to fall short of the mark and is flat or sharp. Just bugs me to no end. I appreciate Ride the Lightning , Master of Puppets and Justice for some really good thrash. But I'll be honest I've always been way more of a Megadeth fan mostly for the musics consistency and because Dave picks virtuoso guitarists.

Kirk has always been kind of choppy, weird and limited, but he had a style that worked well for early thrash and has wrote some really awesome solos.

If Mustaine wasn't sacked from the band, I don't think the solos would have been better, but he could have helped a lot more with the riffs and the singing parts.

The thing with Kirk, IMO, is that he's gotten worse as a professional guitarist. He had fire and played some greats stuff on the first few albums. I'll go so far as to say he was good up until after the Black Album. He's been on a steady decline since then. I think he got so much success and money, that he never picks up the guitar to practice or move forward as a player. He'd rather spend his time and money surfing and collecting monster stuff. Also, all the accolades he received back in his younger days served up everything he needed to boost his ego as a player. And yes, I think he stole a career Metallica.
Think about creeping death and fade to black . You’re right that was great stuff for guitar until yngwie and vai took over

He's garbage and wasn't that great of a live player but he did put in a solid 10 years and his work up and Including the black album was good and fit the music. Might have been pentatonics and basic tapping but he played it with fire and had some really cool lead breaks. I think his studio work during that time was very good. Boredom, other interests and wah pedals ruined him. He's total shit now.
That's pretty much where I'm at.

And yeah, I like Megadeth better too. Dave getting let go was the best thing that could have happened to him :yes:

I was bummed when they announced Kirk was the new lead guitar after Mustaine. I didn't like him in Exodus, don't like him pretty much on everything else he's done..... I am happy for his success and wish him the best, but I'd rather listen to Anthrax, Testament, or Megadeth for killer lead playing....

Back