How similar are the EVH striped series to a Charvel?

KentC

So I’ve been toying around with the idea of getting one of these new Charvels for a few years now but the one thing that always turns me off about them is the lack of truss rod adjustment without having to take the neck off. I never looked at the newer EVH strat style guitars that came out recently because I seen right off the bat that they don’t have a neck pickup. But I was looking at the model that has a pickguard,and I noticed how the EVH stuff has an adjustment wheel at the bottom the neck similar to the Wolfgang and Music Man stuff. I’m pretty sure that these EVH guitars as well as the new Charvel stuff is all made in the same factory now, is it not? Why couldn’t I just get the EVH model with the pickguard, and then just replace the pickguard with one that is set up for whatever configuration that I want? This is the model i'm referring to.
5107902576_frt_wlg_001.png

If anyone has played one of own one, how close is it to a Charvel? Seems almost identical unless I'm overlooking something other than the paint job, different tremolo, and the name on the head stock.

Just noticed that the EVH stuff is made out of basswood and not alder like the Charvels. Seems like that should have made the EVH stuff a little cheaper...

Basswood wouldn't make the guitar cheaper. A basswood Suhr costs the same as an alder Suhr if all other options are identical.

I have both guitars and they do feel a little different from each other. The neck on the EVH feels just a bit thicker. It's still very comfortable but does have a different feel to it. Hard to compare tone wise because they have different pickups. I really like the Wolfgang pickup for all the 80's stuff but to me it's too strong in the mids and not tight enough for "modern" stuff. Haven't had the Mexican Charvel long enough to see how stable the neck will be but do have three USA promods and the necks on two of them have been very stable and rarely need adjustment. The third I do have to tweak every time the season changes. It's a bit of a pain taking the neck loose to adjust but not too bad. All in all both are great guitars for the money. I do like the feel of the Charvel just a bit better than the EVH but not night and day difference. To me you can't go wrong with either one.

I played one of the EVH guitars the other day and it felt really light. If you get either model, you're going to have to route the guitar for a neck PU. The black/ white model doesn't have a swimming pool route or anything.

Just some food for thought... If you want a neck PU, an alder body and don't want to worry about a truss rod, have you looked into a Vigier?

the rossness":1xmgigz5 said:
I played one of the EVH guitars the other day and it felt really light. If you get either model, you're going to have to route the guitar for a neck PU. The black/ white model doesn't have a swimming pool route or anything.

Just some food for thought... If you want a neck PU, an alder body and don't want to worry about a truss rod, have you looked into a Vigier?

Aww man, I would have thought that the body would have had a route under the pickguard. Well never mind then.

Back