How would you configure these speakers?

ledvedder

Hey guys, I'm curious how you would configure these speakers. This would be for gigging and rehearsal. Not so much recording.

I have a 212 that can be open or closed back, a Laney 112, and an EVH 112.

Here are the speakers I have.
Celestion Vintage 30 - 16 ohm
Celestion G12h30 anniversary - 16 ohm
Celestion Greenback - 8 ohm
Celestion G12H-80 - 8 ohm
Laney H1280 - 8 ohm
WGS et65 - 8 ohm
WGS Veteran 30 - 8 ohm

Last edited:
Separate the small dust cap from the large dust cap models (G12-80, ET65) because they soften the treble, while the small dust cap models allow more upper mids and treble. Running small and large dust caps together makes it harder to properly EQ the upper mids and treble. Gotta keep the ohms matched for the 2x12, past that it's testing time to see what you like the best. Good luck!

Separate the small dust cap from the large dust cap models (G12-80, ET65) because they soften the treble, while the small dust cap models allow more upper mids and treble. Running small and large dust caps together makes it harder to properly EQ the upper mids and treble. Gotta keep the ohms matched for the 2x12, past that it's testing time to see what you like the best. Good luck!
So, would the larger dust cap speakers work better in the 112 cabs?

So, would the larger dust cap speakers work better in the 112 cabs?
I'm saying use the large dust cap speakers separately, and not mix with the small dust cap models, even if they're in separate cabs. Of course if you're talking about using only one LD speaker at a time, then putting it in the 1x12 would be the way to go.

Thanks!

At any point, I could be playing my JCA or EVH amp through the 212. Then, most likely the EVH through the EVH, if I'm only needing a 112. Same with the JCA, if I'm only needing a 112. So I'm trying to decide which speakers would be best for my 212, as well as each of my 112's.

I'd also like to have a speaker for my DSL40. Right now, I have the ET65 in it.

In general I’d agree that large and small dust speakers often don’t mix well, but there are some definite exceptions to this. A couple of the best sounding speaker combos in my Kerry Wright 412 have had a mix of small and large dust caps. You’ll just have to experiment and see what sounds good to you. EVH mixed Greenbacks and JBL’s, which is another example of a small/large dust cap mix

Hey. Have you ever changed a dust cap on something like a Celestion G12H30 anniversary? I’ve always wondered what it would do the the EQ curve.

I think I'm gonna try this. Let me know what you think.

WGS ET65 (8 ohm) in the EVH 112 cab.
WGS Veteran 30 (8 ohm) in the Laney 112 cab.
Vintage 30 (16 ohm) and G12H-30 (16 ohm) in the 212 cab.

I think I'm gonna try this. Let me know what you think.

WGS ET65 (8 ohm) in the EVH 112 cab. LARGE DUST CAP
WGS Veteran 30 (8 ohm) in the Laney 112 cab. SMALL DUST CAP
Vintage 30 (16 ohm) and G12H-30 (16 ohm) in the 212 cab. SMALL DUST CAPS
1x12's one at a time, can't mix or it gets weird with both at once.

2x12 by itself, no problem.

1x12's one at a time, can't mix or it gets weird with both at once.

2x12 by itself, no problem.
Maybe the Veteran 30 and the Hellatone 30 in each of the 112 cabs? The only other speaker with a large dust cap is the G12H-80, which was some Line 6 knockoff that I got cheap from Avatar years ago. Or should I try to have large dust caps in the 112 cabs? What difference does the dust cap make sonically?

@ledvedder, you really need to just try what you've got and figure out what you like the best. I don't have the speakers you have, obviously I make my own, so other than the large vs small pairing, you'll have to figure out what works in what with your rig.

An update to my speaker quest.

I put the Vintage 30 and G12H-30 in my 212 cab. I left it semi open back. I really like this combination!

I put the ET65 in the EVH 112 cab. I'm not real crazy about this one.

Surprisingly, the G12H-80 sounds great in the Laney 112 cab.

On the large dust cap versus small dust cap when mixing, the Ubercab is a very popular cab that does this very thing.

Also, WGS states that their most popular pairing is a Vet 30 with an ET65. Small and large dust caps. Who knows?

Several people are also mixing Redbacks and either V30’s or H75’s. Either combos are large and small dustcaps combined. Those combos seem to be growing in popularity.

V30 and H30 is an awesome pair. I had an Avatar cab with that pair back in the day. It was great.

Back