HP+LP Filter for a tube amp

You have any experience with the other 2 models in the line? The tilt EQ looks very cool too.

Untitled.jpg

I used the Dragon a lot. It works good if you want more gain. Kind of his version of a Tube Screamer. But has a pretty unique voice.
The Pinball I only tried a few minutes.
The Standout is my favorite.
I like it better than anything similar I have tried. It really works great to get control over a high gain amp or to boost a medium gain amp. Like Dave said it works with every amp and guitar.

I used the Standout but now use that same Broughton pedal. It's easier to find unity gain so it's not boosting unless I want it.

And it's much easier to actually buy the Broughton pedal.

I had them all. Pinball didnt do as much as I wanted. The Dragon was great, but I felt the sound was a bit clinical. I like the standout the most. I've used it with both high and low gain amps with lots of success.

I had them all. Pinball didnt do as much as I wanted. The Dragon was great, but I felt the sound was a bit clinical. I like the standout the most. I've used it with both high and low gain amps with lots of success.

I'm thinking....

Never mind. Dumb idea.

Last edited:
No, find one and buy it.

If I use it in the loop of the Quad It'll lose the analog benefit as soon as it hits the FX return and goes thru the A/D chip.
Might as well just stick with the internal EQ.

Nice KoT. I'm been on the waiting list for over two years. :D
Have a PoT in the meantime.

I didn't mind the stand out as a boost. It has a ton of output, and the filters keep the tone from getting too furry (which happens if running a pure clean boost).

I just thought it lacked the character or sweetness of the classic OD pedals.

Along the lines of the Standout, I prefer something like the VFE Rocket: a PEQ with bass and treble shelving controls. The shelving controls prevent the bass and treble from getting unruly, and the PEQ lets you spike something in the midrange to add some character.

How does shelving differ from a standard LP or HP filter?
Or does it?
The shelving usually is set at a particular frequency, and you tell it how much to roll off.

A typical HP or LP will let you select the frequency where the roll off starts, but tend to offer more limited control over how steep the roll off is.

Lately I've been spoiled by the Axe FX PEQ block, because you can boost by up to around 20 dB, select the frequency of the high and low shelving and how much it rolls off to tame the furriness on the highs and lows, and then use the middle bands to spike the mids around 650 Hz or so with an adjustable Q.

I've used it in front of a real JMP 2204 and it's killer. Kind of expensive and a hassle just for that use, though.

Someone needs to make an EQ pedal like that.

I didn't mind the stand out as a boost. It has a ton of output, and the filters keep the tone from getting too furry (which happens if running a pure clean boost).

I just thought it lacked the character or sweetness of the classic OD pedals.

Along the lines of the Standout, I prefer something like the VFE Rocket: a PEQ with bass and treble shelving controls. The shelving controls prevent the bass and treble from getting unruly, and the PEQ lets you spike something in the midrange to add some character.
Agreed on the character and sweetness part. I liked the stand out quite a bit (it sent all my Fortin’s and Precision drive packing), but was sent packing by some of my old rack PQ’s. They did everything the standout did but more of it and with a better, more organic tone. I thought the standout was a bit clinical sounding (I thought all the VFE’s were except the Merman that I still have)

Agreed on the character and sweetness part. I liked the stand out quite a bit (it sent all my Fortin’s and Precision drive packing), but was sent packing by some of my old rack PQ’s. They did everything the standout did but more of it and with a better, more organic tone. I thought the standout was a bit clinical sounding (I thought all the VFE’s were except the Merman that I still have)
The VFE pedals are interesting. I agree they can sound clinical... I owned 4 Standouts and the first one I got is the only one I have left. It just had a little more magic and to me didn’t sound clinical. The two Dragons sounded great, but both sounded too clinical for me...they just were missing a little character. Kind of like the difference between the JRC4550 and TL072 op amps. Like you said, the Merman never had that clinical sound...but it’s a Klon clone so the design is quite different.

I love my TC1140 PEQ, but it’s not always easy to swap out for different sounds... pedals make doing that super easy. 😉

Back