Hypothetical Would you rather question

ClintN667

I have 3 guitars and roughly 3-4 amps.

If you were in a similar situation what would you rather have, a Quad Cortex or a new guitar? I'm like 55% leaning towards cancelling my QC order. Im already planning on getting the new Monomyth amp whenever it comes out so I kinda feel like I should just get a guitar instead(I just got a bonus so most of it is going to responsibilities but I have a chunk allocated to toys)

This is the last time I can really make any notable purchases for the rest of the year so I want to make it count.

If you were in my shoes what would you do?

I personally keep 2-4 guitars and 2-4 amps, but tuning stays standard, D standard, Drop C. I almost only play thrash, blues, and core nearly exclusively LOL. I hold onto amps longer because I have a better idea of what I want from them usually. So if it were me with already getting the new monomyth I'd probably look at a guitar. Although you probably play more styles of music than myself so that changes things.

Guitar!! I have 5 guitars and 5 amps, but wanting to trade my 71 Superbass for a LPC

About 9-12 months ago I had at one time in my small 10 x 12 room:

- 1 x 12 Bogner cube (everything else is heads)
- Friedman Pink Taco, Dirty Shirley Mini, JJ Junior
- Bogner XTC 101B, Atma
- Mesa Mark V:25, Mini-Rectifier
- Marhsall SC20, Ceriatone ODS20
- a dozen electric guitars

This is now:

rig.jpg

- Quad Cortex > Powerstage 170 > 10dB attenuation > 1 x 12 cab
- Two Strandberg Progs

I'm turning 61 this month and simply got sick of having to switch out heads/guitars just to change sounds/moods.
Using the Quad with the guitar speaker (Scumback 12") and Duncan amp gets so close it's scary.

The Quad does this 'thing' that no other modeler has done - and it has nothing to do with how close the models
or captures sound to the physical amp. Extremely hard to explain but you know when you're playing a good tube
amp and using lots of picking and volume dynamics during slow phrases, there's this sponge/sag/drag ???? thing
that happens and it's what I've always missed with digital. This has that - my only proof is that it's the first digital
amp I've ever played where I can get just as lost while playing as with tubes.

The Quad needs some work but let me explain. Think of it like a new library. The Quad is the most amazing one ever
designed. It's truly a paradigm shift for the product category - BUT - they decided to open the doors with only
about half the shelves filled. And after walking through it a few times there's better ways they can organize the
sections.

Everything that can and will get revised via firmware updates. Doug Castro just dropped a positive note today:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...p-quad-cortex.2110791/page-1134#post-32505334
Anyway, you got my suggestion. :D

Last edited:
New guitar, if you already have an amp in the 'next to buy' bin. I just don't think the digital compares..yet.
That's exactly how I'm feeling also I want to ditch the digitech drop. So that settles it. Guitar it is.

I'm leaning towards getting a chubtone or some sort of single cut. I'm kinda stuck on SS frets so that limits the single cut options.

About 9-12 months ago I had at one time in my small 10 x 12 room:

- 1 x 12 Bogner cube (everything else is heads)
- Friedman Pink Taco, Dirty Shirley Mini, JJ Junior
- Bogner XTC 101B, Atma
- Mesa Mark V:25, Mini-Rectifier
- Marhsall SC20, Ceriatone ODS20
- a dozen electric guitars

This is now:

View attachment 77517

- Quad Cortex > Powerstage 170 > 10dB attenuation > 1 x 12 cab
- Two Strandberg Progs

I'm turning 61 this month and simply got sick of having to switch out heads/guitars just to change sounds/moods.
Using the Quad with the guitar speaker (Scumback 12") and Duncan amp gets so close it's scary.

The Quad does this 'thing' that no other modeler has done - and it has nothing to do with how close the models
or captures sound to the physical amp. Extremely hard to explain but you know when you're playing a good tube
amp and using lots of picking and volume dynamics during slow phrases, there's this sponge/sag/drag ???? thing
that happens and it's what I've always missed with digital. This has that - my only proof is that it's the first digital
amp I've ever played where I can get just as lost while playing as with tubes.

The Quad needs work but let me explain. Think of a brand new library. The Quad is the most amazing library ever
designed. It's truly a paradigm shift for the product category - BUT - they decided to open the doors with only
about half the shelves filled. And after walking through it a few times there's better ways they can organize the
sections.

Everything that can/will get revised via firmware update. Doug Castro just dropped a positive note today:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...p-quad-cortex.2110791/page-1134#post-32505334
Anyway, you got my suggestion. :D
I ordered the QC based on getting the KSR PA50. It is interesting to hear that you are digging it.

I think I'm going to grab a guitar though

I think I'm going to grab a guitar though

File under the "No Brainers" section. :ROFLMAO:

Note: My 3 favorite Quad presets to hang on are their model of a 2203 (ridiculously good)
and a stock capture of a Mark III Red and then another capture I got from the cloud of the
red channel of a Mark IV.

You're good to go! (y)

Another amp. Always.
For it to be another guitar,it would have to be a dream piece...something unreal or unobtainium.

Back