I finally scored an Ecstasy 101B!

I forgot to mention that this kind of rattling sound increases as I increase volume. When I lower the volume at 12o'clock and lower it disappears but I lose that sweet power saturation
What you’re hearing is normal. It’s not the TAE that’s causing it. You can faintly hear sound coming from the output transformer on any amp all the time as it’s cranked but you’d never hear that over the sound of the speakers. It freaked me out the first time I used my TAE but it’s nothing to worry about.

What you’re hearing is normal. It’s not the TAE that’s causing it. You can faintly hear sound coming from the output transformer on any amp all the time as it’s cranked but you’d never hear that over the sound of the speakers. It freaked me out the first time I used my TAE but it’s nothing to worry about.

thanks. It just made me worried. Some of my previous amps did it too but not that loudly, and my mesa stiletto ace was completely quiet even with master at max

Congrats on the 101 b!! I would suggest tweaking with ears vs eyes. The presence knob IS the difference between "blanket over speakers" dark voicing to "Nice, crisp and cuts" sound. Presence at 2 o clock and up is that difference.

Congrats on the 101 b!! I would suggest tweaking with ears vs eyes. The presence knob IS the difference between "blanket over speakers" dark voicing to "Nice, crisp and cuts" sound. Presence at 2 o clock and up is that difference.
This is exactly right. For channel 2 I now run the treble on 0, mids above 1 o clock which acts like a treble, and I have the presence easily on 4 o clock or there about. bass to taste. This is not an amplifier you can tune with your eyes - you must use your ears.

The green channel and the plexi mode suck on this amp imo. Youd think he could have done better for an amp that cost $1960.00 in 1992-93.

I didn’t buy the XTC for the plexi mode and anyone who has the coin for one probably has the ability to build or buy a plexi type circuit for those tones if desired.

I disagree - the clean is similar to channel 2 discussed above. Crank on the presence and keep the treble low around 9 o clock or so. It’s very spanky and stays clean even with high output pickups. If you want discuss a cheap sounding clean channel for an expensive amp, let’s talk about herberts and their inability to have enough headroom to keep up with the lead channels.

I don’t even use channel 3 on my XTC anymore. I boost channel 2 with an SD-1 and use a parametric eq with a frown face and level shift in the loop for a solo boost. It’s killer sounding all around.

My only gripe is this damn footswitch and the problems you get connecting it. It wasn’t designed with aging in mind and does worry me taking it to band practices.

I didn’t buy the XTC for the plexi mode and anyone who has the coin for one probably has the ability to build or buy a plexi type circuit for those tones if desired.

I disagree - the clean is similar to channel 2 discussed above. Crank on the presence and keep the treble low around 9 o clock or so. It’s very spanky and stays clean even with high output pickups. If you want discuss a cheap sounding clean channel for an expensive amp, let’s talk about herberts and their inability to have enough headroom to keep up with the lead channels.

I don’t even use channel 3 on my XTC anymore. I boost channel 2 with an SD-1 and use a parametric eq with a frown face and level shift in the loop for a solo boost. It’s killer sounding all around.

My only gripe is this damn footswitch and the problems you get connecting it. It wasn’t designed with aging in mind and does worry me taking it to band practices.

Sorry for the unrelated quote but I have no idea how to get in touch with you via PM here about a sale item. (I'm the same guy from TGP). Could you message me please? Thanks!

Sorry for the unrelated quote but I have no idea how to get in touch with you via PM here about a sale item. (I'm the same guy from TGP). Could you message me please? Thanks!
Messaged you on TGP multiple times and you’ve not replied once? 🤷‍♂️

This is exactly right. For channel 2 I now run the treble on 0, mids above 1 o clock which acts like a treble, and I have the presence easily on 4 o clock or there about. bass to taste. This is not an amplifier you can tune with your eyes - you must use your ears.
A-fucking-men. The midrange knob on these is the voice of the amp to me. Down is still midrangey but dark while up is brighter. Between that and presence you can tune in your feel and smooth/aggressive venue. If you can use your ears and not what your eyes typically see you will be rewarded supremely.

Last edited:
If you want to hear the amp as RB did, stick the T/M/B at 1 o’clock at use the presence as a tone knob. This is why you have the assignable presence. Adding presence also cuts NFB which makes the amp come alive and more dynamic. I love it Greenbacks, but it was designed with V30s in mind.

Back