I have to say, there are very few amps that cure the constant search...

lessarti

I have to admit, ever since I have gotten my MC II, I've unloaded gear. Do I still look for deals ?, Yes I do, and am always curious. But that "yearning" for something else cool or whatever is completely gone. Literally rocking the MC II, and a Mesa JP2C for the lower mid spikey "C+" tones etc.

I don't really crave anything marshall upper mid wise in sound, the Wizard does it all for me.

I actually am finding myself looking at possibly snagging one really nice guitar and shifting ... anyone else do this as well?

Yeah. I was looking for a vintage marshall for a bit. And then i played a few. Then I heard a guy play my amp that plays more classic rock. I will be damned if my amp didn't marshall 10x better than a fucking marshall. I guess i just needed to play simple little acoustic chords. Lmao.

My MTL and early Uber do that for me.

there was something about the MLT just not right to me.. sounded a bit dead and wasn't quite in your face enough... changed pre amp tubes and WOW.. there it was 👍

I piddled for years; this and that; good amps but never pulled the trigger… finally I think I found the perfect sound (for me:) I finally said: I’m buying it. SLO 100 as dry and axe FX/Mesa stereo power amp… I now find myself playing for hours now where as I used to not play much at all.. there is something to my sound/tone/feel? That pushes me to do more. I still look. That damn charvel guitar that went for nothing earlier today; I needed that like a hole in my head but…. It’s worth looking at. I guess. Do I need a Caswell/soldano? Yeah. Why? I want one. Will it be better than I have now? Idk. Keep searching or you become stagnant.

I don't really crave anything marshall upper mid wise in sound, the Wizard does it all for me.
I felt that way about all mine (Wizards) when I first got them. I mostly still do.

BUT........time and experience has imparted a certain wisdom to know there are other different, unique, and (useful to me) tones that only other amps will give me.

Which is why I hang onto my vintage Mesas, my Matchless, vintage SLO's, and finally my Friedmans.

They are all unique and great in their own special ways.

So I keep all of them.

I would say my MC I has become a gateway drug. I only own two amps this and a JCM 800 4104 combo and I was completely done until all of a sudden Rick started having new models pop up that I now wanted to try. Now I am hunting a used W800 el34 100 watt.

I would say my MC I has become a gateway drug. I only own two amps this and a JCM 800 4104 combo and I was completely done until all of a sudden Rick started having new models pop up that I now wanted to try. Now I am hunting a used W800 el34 100 watt.
Did you finally make that acquisition?

Inadvertantly I come across this thread looking for something new in content. Anything Wizard is my interest dujour.

And finally motivation to power up one of mine. I haven't played through either one for over a year.

The wizards are enough amp a man needs . But then we all like different flavors . I like one to complement it and Hermansson is my other . But curiosity never stops lol
Yes to all of that.

And especially the curiosity. My Wizards aren't going anywhere. But I haven't used them in over a year.

And oddly enough for me, I'm not looking for anything new. I don't churn a lot of gear. I keep just about everything I get and space limits me so I'm done for now.

Everyone else still digging your Wizards, or is the thrill gone?

Share the love.....or anything else.

Yes to all of that.

And especially the curiosity. My Wizards aren't going anywhere. But I haven't used them in over a year.

And oddly enough for me, I'm not looking for anything new. I don't churn a lot of gear. I keep just about everything I get and space limits me so I'm done for now.

Share the love.....or anything else.
I absolutely love mine still

I piddled for years; this and that; good amps but never pulled the trigger… finally I think I found the perfect sound (for me:) I finally said: I’m buying it. SLO 100 as dry and axe FX/Mesa stereo power amp… I now find myself playing for hours now where as I used to not play much at all.. there is something to my sound/tone/feel? That pushes me to do more. I still look. That damn charvel guitar that went for nothing earlier today; I needed that like a hole in my head but…. It’s worth looking at. I guess. Do I need a Caswell/soldano? Yeah. Why? I want one. Will it be better than I have now? Idk. Keep searching or you become stagnant.
That's a cool and unique set of perspectives. Cool that you share them.

I don't usually goose necro threads, but I stumbled across this one searching for new content. I clicked old content instead.

Old is new.

I had that with my VH4 and BE100 Deluxe, only thing i'd still like to add is a wizard, either MCii or MTL
Yes Friedman. I only have one....a SB Combo I got back Xmas 2016.

It's one of those amps that always puts a smile on my face. I can, and do use it for virtually everything. I had a EV in it for a while. The clean and slightly gainy was great, but the higher gain stuff had a raspiness I could not completely dial out. So back the stock Cream Back went. I understand now why Dave chose that speaker (if he in fact did).

I would love another Friedman but I have no place to put it or anything else. More accurately I should say I don't wish to sacrifice anymore free space in my house.

Did you finally make that acquisition?

Inadvertantly I come across this thread looking for something new in content. Anything Wizard is my interest dujour.

And finally motivation to power up one of mine. I haven't played through either one for over a year.
I bought one last year new. Moved it along though as I had Rick mod my MC 1 with the pull shift which brought it close. The w800 is more raw a little less gain and can get very bright. Sort of like a healthy 800. I currently have two Wiz’s the MC1 and an MC II KT75. Right now I’m using them with a Marshall hw with g12m green backs. Currently have g12m creambacks on route as well to put in an empty evh cab.

Hell yeah, all I'm still playing live.. we're still busy avg 4-6 gigs per month, the MC25 gets the call for all of them. I've still got the SLO30 as a backup but still haven't used it in the band ever.

I did stumble onto a little amp that may interest you though, knowing what I know about what you like. 3rd Power Wooly Coats combo. Kind of in the Princeton vein of things, maybe best amp I've run across for my Tele / semi dirty tones. Does things the Wizards can't / won't but that goes both ways.

Hope you're well!

Hell yeah, all I'm still playing live.. we're still busy avg 4-6 gigs per month, the MC25 gets the call for all of them. I've still got the SLO30 as a backup but still haven't used it in the band ever.

I did stumble onto a little amp that may interest you though, knowing what I know about what you like. 3rd Power Wooly Coats combo. Kind of in the Princeton vein of things, maybe best amp I've run across for my Tele / semi dirty tones. Does things the Wizards can't / won't but that goes both ways.

Hope you're well!
Hey Steve!.....how in the world are you brother? Good to know you are still happy with that MC25. I may in the distant future have to give the MC25 another try.

An aside.....oddly enough that amp opened up a new rabbit hole for me. Amps with 6V6 power sections. Long story short it fed my curiosity. Without going into a long diatribe of pontification I finally chalk it up to severe cognitive bias.

But it led to two more 6V6 powered amps the 40W version of the Matchless LC (placed the order w/deposit earlier in the year Phil says expect delivery in 12mo), and a Mesa 4:40 California Tweed. For me it's an acquired taste but I really dig it. These things have a different personality than anything I've used.

I've still got all my big iron, but haven't used any of them in many months. 30yrs ago I would have already unloaded all this stuff that sets for months unused. Only to buy some or all of it back again later, not giving it much thought. Jeez the money I pissed away doing this years ago.

These days I just hang onto all of it. My tastes will change again along with my hearing.

I love a big tool box with great tools.

I'm going to check into the Wooly Coats. Been curious about the 3rd Power stuff for a while. Dylana has some intriguing designs.

LOL But you have a new Mesa MK VII... are you sure you're done for now??

LOL But you have a new Mesa MK VII... are you sure you're done for now??
The MKVII and California Tweed were the last two I bought. I put in an order to Matchless for the 40W version of the Laurel Canyon in JAN2023. Matchless tells me it will be a year before delivery.

I should be more specific to say that I don't want to give up anymore room in the closets or back bedroom for more.

Yup.....I've slowly turned into a senile old clod that hoards amps :eek:

Back