I just bought an Axe-FX AX8 !!

Ok, it's not a tube amp but the idea here is to get a cleaner tone for recording. You have to admit that micing an amp is sort of like black magic, especially in a crappy lath and plaster room where sound bounces around and all sorts of things rattle.

I watched about 60 youtube videos on the AX8 and it seems it can generate just about any amp and tone I want... it's really pretty amazing if you think about it. I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference once it's all recorded just like you can't tell the Roland drums aren't real drums.

The only question is: Can it do bass guitar well? :gethim: Anyone here have experience with the Axe Fx and recording?

NeubyWanKaneuby":2u8qe5dp said:
I use my Axe FX II to record bass. It does just fine.

That's good. Bass and drums are always the hardest for me to get a good punchy mix on. I'm still old school though and record on an old crispy Alesis HD24. Someday I'll get up to speed and do some computer recording.

Bass works great, I use the AxeIII for recording and did an album on the Axe-Ultra. It’s hard to beat the flexibility for recording.

nice score!
I'm on the lookout for one but don't need it, so I'm hoping to find a nice discount one day.

Now that it is discounted (along with fx8) I wonder if they'll put out another version? The fm3 is so small, but I guess if you get the expander that combo is the new product

For moi most of the high gain amps feels like plastic to play but sound great in a mix and can dial them up in minutes.
the effects are amazing as are the clean tones.
the possibilities are literally endless and the support from cliff and all of the free patches is nuts.
the fractal message board is very helpful and any question can be answered fast.
i have the 2+ xl and have not even updated to the aries OS yet and it's an audio Swiss army knife in the studio.
There's very little it can't do and we put everything thru it
basses, synths, vocals etc
for a pro-semi pro working /gigging/ session player that needs fast results it's the most incredible device.
for replacing a real amp or the feel of a real overdriven / high gain amp as any cork sniffer will whine it's not the same .....duh

crankyrayhanky":37gex1wk said:
nice score!
I'm on the lookout for one but don't need it, so I'm hoping to find a nice discount one day.

Now that it is discounted (along with fx8) I wonder if they'll put out another version? The fm3 is so small, but I guess if you get the expander that combo is the new product

i'm reading that the fm3 has issues with the fan and squealing high pitched sounds after an hour of use.
I'm sure cliff will get it sorted
he always does.
I realize many people hate him but he stands behind his stuff 10000000000 %

controlled_voltage":sa3cgaz7 said:
For moi most of the high gain amps feels like plastic to play but sound great in a mix and can dial them up in minutes.
the effects are amazing as are the clean tones.
the possibilities are literally endless and the support from cliff and all of the free patches is nuts.
the fractal message board is very helpful and any question can be answered fast.
i have the 2+ xl and have not even updated to the aries OS yet and it's an audio Swiss army knife in the studio.
There's very little it can't do and we put everything thru it
basses, synths, vocals etc
for a pro-semi pro working /gigging/ session player that needs fast results it's the most incredible device.
for replacing a real amp or the feel of a real overdriven / high gain amp as any cork sniffer will whine it's not the same .....duh

Awesome! I'm glad you mentioned vocals because I wasn't sure if it was designed to include that as well. I've been using a Presonus preamp and then through a Kurzweil reverb for my vocals and it's hit or miss and could be better. I can't wait to try it out, I've been reading up through the manual. I don't think I'll get bored with this thing anytime soon.

I figure a good tube amp is probably still going to win in a direct A-B, but that aside I'm sure the AX8 will sound awesome on it's own and probably sound better on tape considering there will be no 'room' to record to muddy things up.

I've been recording with an AX8 and I dig it. Finding a good cab ir was the final piece of the puzzle for me. I have plenty of clips.

I love my AX8. Yes, there is a learning curve to it, but I came from the rack world with midi, switchers, multiple units, but the depth that you can go in this unit is unreal. I use it for both acoustic and electric gigs, and it always delivers. I am going on two years with it now, and it has made me realize I no longer need my Triaxis and 2:Ninety setup. That has only been played a handful of times since the AX8.

It is such an inspiring unit, and I love being able turn it on quick, even super late at night at a lower volume and get the sound in my head from the speakers. It has also taken away all amp and effect gas and has made gigs a breeze.

eecamichael":l0u183p1 said:
I love my AX8. Yes, there is a learning curve to it, but I came from the rack world with midi, switchers, multiple units, but the depth that you can go in this unit is unreal. I use it for both acoustic and electric gigs, and it always delivers. I am going on two years with it now, and it has made me realize I no longer need my Triaxis and 2:Ninety setup. That has only been played a handful of times since the AX8.

It is such an inspiring unit, and I love being able turn it on quick, even super late at night at a lower volume and get the sound in my head from the speakers. It has also taken away all amp and effect gas and has made gigs a breeze.

That's what I'm thinking, I'll be having a massive pedal sale soon. :cry:

One thing though, what kind of monitors/amp bring the best out of this beast?

I use the XiTone 1x12 active wedge and love it. I decided when I jumped into this, to go in 100% and go FRFR. One side of the AX8 goes to the PA, one to the XiTone, and never had an issue. It sounds great.

Dr. Tweedbucket":z7bm9kzn said:
eecamichael":z7bm9kzn said:

That's what I'm thinking, I'll be having a massive pedal sale soon. :cry:

One thing though, what kind of monitors/amp bring the best out of this beast?

I use a pair of Adam A77X with an 8 inch Adam Sub and it sounds incredible. I use them for everything. Even with my amps I go into a Suhr Reactive Load and end up in the A77x’s. Can be loud as hell if you need it and hear all the detail. You can find them used out on sale at goff prices for the quality they have.

I use a pair of Adam A77X with an 8 inch Adam Sub and it sounds incredible. I use them for everything. Even with my amps I go into a Suhr Reactive Load and end up in the A77x’s. Can be loud as hell if you need it and hear all the detail. You can find them used out on sale at goff prices for the quality they have.

Those sound pretty decent. Well, this is an old thread but I thought I'd update.

I ended up going to a music store and they had a pair of Yamaha powered monitors for sale that was returned, so open box and I snagged them for like $650 They sound really good.

have them for 10 years , great monitors !

Those sound pretty decent. Well, this is an old thread but I thought I'd update.

I ended up going to a music store and they had a pair of Yamaha powered monitors for sale that was returned, so open box and I snagged them for like $650 They sound really good.

I have a pair of Yamaha HS8s that I use for my home monitors. I think they are great, for the money.

Back