I think I hate the AXE FX III.

I did a poll over on TGP a while back where I provided two options for each of the top modelers:

1. Owned XXX and kept it.
2. Owned XXX and sold it.

More people bought and kept the Helix than Fractal or Kemper - by a healthy margin.
And I let the poll run long enough to have enough votes to form a consensus.

Doesn't mean anything - just a data point.
I do find it interesting that generally, Kemper and Fractal always beat Helix when people
talk about which sounds and feels the most realistic.
My assumption is the more intuitive user interface with Line 6 wins out in the long run.

Note: Both Cygnus and the latest Helix updates were not available at the time of the poll.

Last edited:
I’ve got the Fm3 dialed in where i prefer it with the band over my Marsha that I’ve had forever...lol, I guess that means my ears are shot and I’ve sold out.

I still love amps (just bought a plexi for at home) and there’s nothing wrong with preferring them, but to insinuate that all modelers have “the modeler sound” at this point just seems silly to me.

But I’m not really trying to argue...ymmv, horses for courses, blah blah blah.

This guy did a whole series of videos for dialing in a tone. Some of his tips really improved the sound I get using FRFR. Still not a match for my cranked up tube amp but pretty good nonetheless. He has like 26 videos in this series and covers high gain presets in a few of them

Metallicas tone is the proof. They do not sound good after they went to axe-fx. Listen to the difference from SM to SM2. Shitty tone. For live sound Kemper sounds the best to me hence why I use it with in ear with band.
I haven't seen Metallica in years; yet I've heard this from multiple people who have seen them live. I wonder if they are just resistant to trying other amp sims? We know some sound better than others...I saw a Canadian metal band Threat Signal a few years back at a club here; their tone was killer. Both guys used the AXE II direct to the PA.

But neither guy had sold their tube amp collections lol.

I haven't seen Metallica in years;

At an arena show with those volume levels could anyone really tell the difference?
Even in a small intimate club it'd be hard to tell these days.

Maybe their road crew has just gotten lazy about dialing in the house sound.

At an arena show with those volume levels could anyone really tell the difference?

It is very obvious when they switched. Saturated and thin

Always good to keep an amp around to keep your ears honest. I've not kept one because I'm really happy with what I get out of my III and FM3. No issues. I have a couple of ASC-10s that I added the Fender tilt back arms to and it works perfectly for me.

I really hope we can start to get some live gigs and rehearsals again in the next year. It has been far too long due to this lockdown.

You can find out why directly from the horse's mouth-

FWIW, I've seen very few bands sound great in an a stadium, which is pretty much all they play these days. Floyd sounded fucking fantastic, but they actively developed PA systems for playing in stadiums instead of taking what was available. Depending on where you're sitting, the window can be blowing the sound all over the place, or if you're in an enclosed joint....Jesus, I could only imagine what it sounds like in the nosebleed seats. Arenas sound like shit up there, never mind quadrupling the space sound can travel around in.

Last edited:
The AFX units, all of them, have been always super enticing. Least to me they have been. And I've owned and sold various iterations 4 maybe 5 times now; I've learned they're just not for me and ALWAYS go back to my main heads. Biggest game changer for me was the CaptorX - I have my amps - they're lifers - and they're all I want and need...and I have all the cabs I want or need for any situation. I know my tone. Recording was always trickier with mics cabs and SPL, and that's been remedied now with the TwoNotes units.

Just have zero need for a Fractal or any modeller. To each their own.

Could be user error....but doubt it. It’s ok but still has all the shortcomings of a modeler IMO. The plastic-ish crispy highs, hollow mids etc. BTW I’m only talking high gain. Cleans are there 100%.

Thanks god... there are still humans with an ear!

The AFX units, all of them, have been always super enticing. Least to me they have been. And I've owned and sold various iterations 4 maybe 5 times now; I've learned they're just not for me and ALWAYS go back to my main heads. Biggest game changer for me was the CaptorX - I have my amps - they're lifers - and they're all I want and need...and I have all the cabs I want or need for any situation. I know my tone. Recording was always trickier with mics cabs and SPL, and that's been remedied now with the TwoNotes units.

Just have zero need for a Fractal or any modeller. To each their own.

Completely understand Bud and agree!! It's not for everyone. You are an amp guy and have stated that for years now. You have some killer amps as well. I totally get it. (y)

However, Two-Notes hasn't changed their load for what, 8-9 years now? It's the same load that is in the basic Captor unit. That same load is in the Studio and the Live. I've had and sold all of them after some time.
I sat down last year and compared the X to the Waza and the OX as I had all three in my possession for some testing. (The Waza was mine and I borrowed the other 2).

I just wish they would update it at some point. It's not a case of if it ain't broke...it's a case of can we make it sound better? The software part is fine. It works well.

I hope they come up with something newer in the future. You use what makes you happy so all good!
In a good mix, no one is going to be able to tell the difference.

@PBGas

I tried everything and it was the Fryette stuff that won me over. Ever played one?

https://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

I have heard nothing but GREAT reviews on that! Have not tried one. Would love to at some point!

(y)

I just need to get an amp again at some point....and believe me, I am always thinking of that!
A 212 cab I wanted for quite some time has come up on the local list up here so I am just thinking again.....damn GAS!

I have heard nothing but GREAT reviews on that! Have not tried one. Would love to at some point!

(y)

Up to -10dB it's completely transparent. No hyperbole.
I'd just about given up on the whole product category after starting
with the very first Power Brake 30? years ago.

Later in the evening as everything else toned down I'd inch up to
11, 12, and then 14. Any higher and I'd start to hear it - even at low
volumes.

One other thing, it can be used as a silent load box at the highest attn setting
which is basically silence. The DI is also pristine.
Fryette knows his shit.

I actually use an axe efx 2+ Ultra often in paid pro studio sessions.
for immediate results and diversity if can’t be replaced .
is it the same as my jcm800 50 watt or monomyth modded 1976 jmp, 1968 twin or 1967 ampeg gemini 2?
Nope
But as an all around tool for sessions that takes minutes to dial in for a wide range of music it can’t be beat…..by anything I’ve tried so far.
The effects put it above the kemper for my line of work.
i can only imagine that the 3 is even better but I’ve yet to outgrow the 2+ Ultra.

BATMANSRIGTALK 3...2...1... What happened to that guy, did he vacate the premesis?

Just so you don't miss him too much... I would infer that you must have GOLDEN EARS and could not differentiate a freight train and great guitar amp tones if your life depended on it.......... as modelers are exactly the same in every way to real tube amp....:p:D:poke:

Sorry... I couldn't help myself. Now back to your previously scheduled programming...

Back