I think I hate the AXE FX III.

Could be user error....but doubt it. It’s ok but still has all the shortcomings of a modeler IMO. The plastic-ish crispy highs, hollow mids etc. BTW I’m only talking high gain. Cleans are there 100%.
kinda laughed reading the title. I'm with ya man. My buddy Ron has one. The fender type cleans with effects was Lovely. i could play shit off operation mindcrime and just smile. But would hit the Splawn or Friedman patches and was like "this doesn't sound like a Splawn at all." I've owned 4. That brings up the point I miss my old splawn. haha

Depends, there's so many ways you could tweak to fix things like that.
How well you know the beast?

And ya, QC > the AX8 I owned a few years back.
The AX8 I tried 2 yrs ago didn't sound any better than the Digitech GSP 21 I still have all these yrs, with the MP1 mini rack. Unimpressive to say the least.
But, a few who's ears I trust say the FM3 is much better.

AX8 was a weird product for Fractal. It really didn't have a long shelf life
and I think updates for it stopped a while back because of it's older tech.

The FM and AX3 are said to be a big improvement.
Same with the new Helix/Stomp upgrade. Big leap forward according to owners.

Anyone out there ever tried Bluecat`s Axiom at all? I have the hardware so the software came as a nice surprise.

Some of the AFX models are just not good. Many sound good though.

Part of dealing with the unit is learning to give up on the sims that aren't good.

The Brit 800 sims sounds awesome. The 5150 sims are close enough to enjoy. I just use those at this point and am happy with it.

Trying the Marks or Rectos or Diezels just makes me sad.

EDIT: the really trick bit is setting the master volume right. Too low, the thing sounds thin and anemic. Too high, and it's woofy and rubbery. The sweet spot is fairly narrow and different for each model. Why the hell would it be designed like this? Real amps have a huge zone where the master volume sounds fine.

I've tried them 3 times they are too far above my head but if you can take the time to learn the whole system they are incredible.

🤷‍♂️

The only post processing on this is a multi-band comp on the master bus sucking out some lower mids. PVH 6160 with the 666 settings, didn't touch any deep parameters, boosted with a TS808 and double tracked.

What are you using for IR's? Are you tweaking the authentic page or the ideal page? For most high gain shit, I tend to turn down the High Treble because it adds a really shitty nastiness to the high end. I just turn it right off and use the Treble and Presence for all the highs. Also some hi cuts in the cab blocks help as well.

The FM3 into a 2:90 sounded, after a bit of tweaking, just about exactly the same as Mesa Mark V. I haven't heard anything from the QC that would make me want to dump the FM3 yet but the interface does look awesome. Of course just FX, Fractal is unbeatable. Well shall see how the GC evolves, it looks promising.

I’ve only recorded direct tones. Straight in from the unit and through the power amp of a tube amp through a captor X
Since you’re using a power amp, have you turned off the power amp modeling in the AxeFx?
What are you plugged in after the CaptorX?

Just to add fuel to the fire
I had a QC and just sold it off
Nice unit but needs a lot of work in some of the effects and other things
I had it sitting right beside and FM3 and could dial in the Freidman HBE and Jcm800 to be pretty much the same on both units but the effects
Were really no competition the
Drive mod delays and reverbs in the Fractal killed it
And things like auto engage on the wah , the Fractal just had similar tones and a lot more

Back