I think it’s about Time RT evaluated the future of Guitar Rigs

Modelers are trying to copy the sound of the real thing.
So I just play the real thing, easy, done.

I'd say more pros are still using real amps touring too from what i've seen.

I bet one day, all you’ll need is a guitar and your telephone(cellphone),
The history of your amps/tones etc, will be in your
gear folder.
Just show up, “pair” your phone to the mixer/cabinet whatever and it’s party time Motherf’er’s….
Straight up Charlton Heston moment from
the tail end of the movie
Planet of The Apes…”you finally did it,
didn’t you..”
-You crazy bastards”…
Rock & Roll will never die..you filthy apes.

imo there's too much amp being used; somebody will come up with something so they can still continue to function without "classic" tubes.. a kind of ss/digital self contained plugable power amp simulation "tube" that you just plug in the tube socket

imo there's too much amp being used; somebody will come up with something so they can still continue to function without "classic" tubes.. a kind of ss/digital self contained plugable power amp simulation "tube" that you just plug in the tube socket

Jetcity did the retro valve which was an analog preamp "tube" which could replace standard preamp valves. I think it was called a retro valve. It seemed to work well in demos, but never caught on and was discontinued.

I'm not sure what you mean by resources diminishing for amps. There's no way I'm ever going away from having an actual amp and cab. There's something about it that I just don't feel in modelers. Don't get me wrong, modern modelers sound great. I did meet a touring live sound guy who was like me but now has come to embrace the silent stage and swears by Kempers. He started selling his gear and I got his Mesa OS because of it. So, I'm all for encouraging you guys to switch to modelers and profilers so I can get your amps/cabs.
+1

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm happy with my Fractal FM3. More amps,tones,cabs and effects in there than I could ever need. I hate having a mess of cables, pedalboards, pedals, attenuaters, micing cabs and all that clutter. Having everything in a nice little box that I can run my guitar cable into and just an XLR out to either my cab or FOH is great. I still have tube amps and fire them up once in a while but that's it.

Last edited:
Jetcity did the retro valve which was an analog preamp "tube" which could replace standard preamp valves. I think it was called a retro valve. It seemed to work well in demos, but never caught on and was discontinued.
Yes, that's what I had in mind.. AMT still sell SS preamp tube who must act like the retrovalve

01_04bm-s6.jpg

https://amt-sales.com/other/tubes/amt-12ax7-warm-stone-tube/

but it's not power tubes.. and the "made in russia" doesn't really solve the situation here.

I'm pretty sure there is people thinking right now about that problem.

Why not have all of it? Bands do it all the time. For me, weight is an issue and I'll never go back to a stack. I've had two hernia surgeries and not wanting to do that again.

I bet one day, all you’ll need is a guitar and your telephone(cellphone),
The history of your amps/tones etc, will be in your
gear folder.
Just show up, “pair” your phone to the mixer/cabinet whatever and it’s party time Motherf’er’s….
Straight up Charlton Heston moment from
the tail end of the movie
Planet of The Apes…”you finally did it,
didn’t you..”
-You crazy bastards”…
Rock & Roll will never die..you filthy apes.

Funny you say that have you seen that new guitar mooer put out that has the amp modeler and fx built in ? Fricken crazy

The modeler versus tube amp thing is definitely a feel thing and not so much a tone thing. Tones are definitely achievable on these modelers but something about them tube amps.

I'm not touching the Modeler vs Tube amp thing outside of saying they are both very useful tools and up to the user (or sound guy) to bring out the best in them. Either way, tube amps aren't going anywhere anytime soon friends.

Back