I tried a Les Paul Classic, and I loved it. Would I be happy with an Edwards, rather?

To be honest, I feel like the "poor Gibson quality" thing is internet BS, in the same vein as T75s being bad speakers.
My Les Paul Tribute has a couple cosmetic flaws, but it plays and sounds incredible.

I don't like T-75's, but not because they're objectically bad speakers, but because they're just not my thing, much like Creamback H's and H30 Annis aren't either.

My Les Paul Tribute has a couple cosmetic flaws, but it plays and sounds incredible.

I don't like T-75's, but not because they're objectically bad speakers, but because they're just not my thing, much like Creamback H's and H30 Annis aren't either.
Edwards are cool single cuts. Grecos are way closer to a real LP feel. I've had 2 Edwards Sykes, and 4 Greco LPs. I feel Grecos are akin to a Standard/Classic for much less $. But if you want the real deal, get it.

I had both an LPC, and John Sykes. Both were extremely muddy/muffled with zero clarity. They felt nice, but cheap at the same time. I hate the plastic white looking binding, it looked cheap..

This was also my experience with Edwards.

Edwards are cool single cuts. Grecos are way closer to a real LP feel. I've had 2 Edwards Sykes, and 4 Greco LPs. I feel Grecos are akin to a Standard/Classic for much less $. But if you want the real deal, get it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS!

Having owned an 1983 LPC years ago and an Edwards Lemondrop LP recently I felt the Gibson was a more substantial guitar weight and feelwise. The Edwards was just MEH... at best was my take away and it didn't hurt my feelings when I resold it for what I paid for it. While the Edwards was a nice guitar and worth the money if you just can't swing the coin for an actual Gibson I didn't feel it was on par with a good Gibson.

You're also going to sift through alot of Gibson's to get that keeper IMHO!

It's possible the older Grecos are more correct weight and construction-wise I dunno..........YMMV..... You can find decent prices on LP classic popping up on CL all the time. $1500 bucks or so....

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Edwards but can't recall playing one. As far as resale value you'll likely lose your shirt on an Edwards, Gibson likely not, maybe just 1 sock.

My experience with any LP style guitars, especially Gibsons, is that if you find one that speaks to you for a price you're ok with, grab it.

Gibson QC isn't the most consistent, and I've learned that a lot of us players have vastly different expectations of how a LP should sound & feel.

Another vote for get the guitar you know you liked. 90’s Classics came with Ceramic humbuckers, the 500T and 496R. Very hot pickups. I find their necks too skinny for me, with an almost flat section in the middle but you may like it.
Yep. Love my Classic, was my main guitar back in the day for quite awhile but now the Slim Taper, it's just too skinny. I much prefer the beefier necks of my other Standards and Customs. That said it's a beautiful Wine Red with good grain, love those pups, it's built solid, sounds great and I just can't bring myself to sell it.

Yeah, I've heard those 90's Classics have a really thin neck. I was playing a friend's Ibanez yesterday, and damn... I really miss having a thin neck, LOL.

My Strat has the Flat Oval neck with the 12" fretboard, and I actually like that neck a whole lot more than my Gibsons "Rounded" profile, whatever that means. I assume 50's.

Edward’s???! Les Paul classic? You must immediately get this nonsense out of your head. Immediately purchase a Gil Yaron. It’s quite simply the only single cut/ Les Paul worth playing. Of course, if you get a late December of 1958 to February 3rd of 1960, that’s also acceptable.

OK, so the context is I have a Les Paul Tribute. I love it, but the one thing I would change about it is I'd prefer a thinner 60's neck. Plus I want to upgrade to a full-thickness body and a gloss finish, so I'm in the market for something new.

I tried a Les Paul Classic at Long and McQuade, and I loved it. I liked it way better than the Standard, honestly, as I prefer a solid finish, and I don't mind the weight-relieved body.

However, I've also been wanting one of those Edwards E-LP Gold Tops for a while now. Those are cheaper than the Gibsons, but those aren't cheap either. What I'm dubious about with those is the neck profile and the finish. I don't want to pay a bunch of money to find out they feel like fat-necked Epis, LOL.

So... I mean, I could shell out the money for a Classic, but is it worth it over the Edwards? Would an Edwards be good enough? What are your opinions?
I got a black LP classic. I was shopping for a single cut for a couple weekends and would try everyone I could put my hands on.. I went in thinking about an ESP/LTD or something other than a gibson. To my surprise the gibsons were always my favorite. I too, preferred the Classic to everything except for the 60's standard. I want another LP with a nicer top so I'm going to follow this thread

To be honest, I feel like the "poor Gibson quality" thing is internet BS, in the same vein as T75s being bad speakers. I've not personally experienced Gibsons being dogs more than any other meaningful brand.

That being said, I feel its worth the clarity that Edwards aren't "worse" guitars, just different. They look like Gibsons, but don't feel or sound like them. That is not a good/bad thing. If you like how they feel and sound, you can get the same vibe as an LPC for way less money than a Gibby LP Custom.
Yeah I feel like the LTD, ESP single cuts are like playing a superstrat that is shaped like a single cut. The ones I tried were nice but the LP experience just isn't there.

OK, so the context is I have a Les Paul Tribute. I love it, but the one thing I would change about it is I'd prefer a thinner 60's neck. Plus I want to upgrade to a full-thickness body and a gloss finish, so I'm in the market for something new.

I tried a Les Paul Classic at Long and McQuade, and I loved it. I liked it way better than the Standard, honestly, as I prefer a solid finish, and I don't mind the weight-relieved body.

However, I've also been wanting one of those Edwards E-LP Gold Tops for a while now. Those are cheaper than the Gibsons, but those aren't cheap either. What I'm dubious about with those is the neck profile and the finish. I don't want to pay a bunch of money to find out they feel like fat-necked Epis, LOL.

So... I mean, I could shell out the money for a Classic, but is it worth it over the Edwards? Would an Edwards be good enough? What are your opinions?
I bought an Edwards Les Paul custom/John Sykes clone, last fall. It’s my first LP-type guitar in 44 years of playing. I’m digging it. However, I had to have the nut and saddles replaced, because it had some annoying tuning issues. Graphtech nut and saddles solved the problems. Eventually, I’m going to have to replace the stock Duncan pickups.
It clocks in at just under 8 pounds.
I’d recommend an Edwards!
71944678251-FD3-A968-E-C8-F7-482-C-A0-DC-0-F07986-A1-AFA.jpg

I’ve never played any Edward’s guitar, but I do own a quality ‘03 MIJ Epiphone Elite LP Custom.

It has USA pickups, quality hardware , and 60’s or slimmer neck.

The neck is very fast and makes speedy runs very easy.

It plays and sounds amazing.

These can be found used between $1300-$1600. + /-

By the way I picked up this Elite used a few years back for $277

I also own a ‘00 Gibson Trans Amber Classic Premium Plus I picked up a few years ago for $1500.

It is bone stock with a very comfortable 60’s neck and the original Ceramic pickups.

I personally think if sounds and plays amazingly well.

Of the 2 , it’s no contest as the Classic is a way better guitar overall.

If I were you , I’d seek out a late 90’s or early’00’s Classic.

Here’s my Elite.

IMG_2009.jpeg

Here’s a pic of my ‘00 Classic Premium Plus

IMG_2336.jpeg

Check out Orville. Gibson had those made in Japan. I've read Gibson stopped selling them because they are so good that they give USA made Les Pauls a run for their money. I haven't played any Orville's so I can't confirm that.

Back in the late 90’s I had bought a Classic that just had a monster flame top and it was a decent price. I stubbornly thought that I could get used to the skinny neck but a month later of hand cramps and discomfort I had to sell it. Damn it was pretty. I’ve always loved the early one they did that was all gold finish but the neck is what it is 😥

The neck on the classics has definitely changed over the years though. After the mid 2K’s they seemed to be a little less “wizard” flat in the back, slightly more rounded.

For me, the most Ibanez-like, the better. The epitome of a fast neck for me is a Super Wizard Prestige. I'm not even a lead player, but the first "nice" guitar I ever had was an Ibanez Prestige, so my hands and my brain immediately associate a thin neck with a good guitar.

But I can live with a regular more rounded thin-ish middle-of-the-road 60's neck. I just don't want another 50's neck. The neck on my Strat, for example, is not Ibanez-thin, but I feel it fits my hand so much better.

I've never personally felt so much discomfort from playing a neck, though, that it hurt. I have my preferences, but I don't think I've come across a neck that I couldn't get used to.

I've never played a V neck with a 7.25" fretboard for an extended period of time, though. Not that I want to, LOL.

Last edited:
Back