I tried a Les Paul Classic, and I loved it. Would I be happy with an Edwards, rather?

Here's the thing.... for better or worse, only a Gibson Les Paul sounds and plays like a Gibson Les Paul. Yes, there are other Les Paul shaped guitars on the market. Some sounds really damn good, but very few actually sound like a Gibson Les Paul. I personally feel like Gibson is cranking out some of their best guitars since the early 2000s. They all come PLEKed from the factory now. The Jr that I bought last year is stellar.

Another point to ponder if you flip gear. You will have a better chance of getting your money back with a Gibson than you will with an Edwards.

For me, the most Ibanez-like, the better. The epitome of a fast neck for me is a Super Wizard Prestige. I'm not even a lead player, but the first "nice" guitar I ever had was an Ibanez Prestige, so my hands and my brain immediately associate a thin neck with a good guitar.

But I can live with a regular more rounded thin-ish middle-of-the-road 60's neck. I just don't want another 50's neck. The neck on my Strat, for example, is not Ibanez-thin, but I feel it fits my hand so much better.

I've never personally felt so much discomfort from playing a neck, though, that it hurt. I have my preferences, but I don't think I've come across a neck that I couldn't get used to.

I've never played a V neck with a 7.25" fretboard for an extended period of time, though. Not that I want to, LOL.
To me a perfect neck on a Strat/super strat would be a soft V that morphs into a regular rounded shape as you go up the neck but also with a 12” or higher fretboard radius. Love the feel of a soft V for the cowboy chords but don’t care for it on play above the 7-9th fret.

I enjoy a thin neck as well, but I've noticed that thicker necks force my left hand into a posture that's better for vibrato and bending. With a thinner neck, my fingers end up flatter to the board and I lose leverage, so I have to consciously hold my hand in a certain way and do get a bit fatigued after a while.

So... honestly, from what I've read, I might be better off getting a used Classic. For the price of a new Edwards, I could very well score an old Classic.

I'll keep an eye out on Marketplace for a Classic or a 60's Standard. The only "bad" thing I guess is I can be less picky about which color I get. I really don't want an orange or a burst Les Paul either.

So... honestly, from what I've read, I might be better off getting a used Classic. For the price of a new Edwards, I could very well score an old Classic.

I'll keep an eye out on Marketplace for a Classic or a 60's Standard. The only "bad" thing I guess is I can be less picky about which color I get. I really don't want an orange or a burst Les Paul either.
I've been looking at Classics myself and I have a 2013 already. I played one a few years ago and was awesome and I own a 2019 Standard that is amazing. I wish the Classics were lighter though.

I've been looking at Classics myself and I have a 2013 already. I played one a few years ago and was awesome and I own a 2019 Standard that is amazing. I wish the Classics were lighter though.
Don't the Classics have Ultra Modern weitght relief? The one I tried wasn't heavy (for a Les Paul).

Don't the Classics have Ultra Modern weitght relief? The one I tried wasn't heavy (for a Les Paul).
Standards have insane weight relief. Classics don’t and some years of traditionals don’t either. My 2018 traditional is non weight relieved.

I have an Edwards LPC, Traditional, and three LPCs.

The Edwards hangs tooth and nail with my standard. It doesn’t compare to my LPCs as they have a more complex tonal character going on. My traditional is way better than the edwards even though it has a rosewood neck.

I bought the edwards to have a “beater” guitar with an ebony FB and stock jumbo frets. Mine has locking tuners on it and I put NOS witchhat speed knobs on it. I haven’t had any problems with the nut.

As far as playing, the edwards has a 59 baseball bat neck like my traditional. It all comes down to personal preference but I don’t mind a heavier neck.

For the money it’s an amazingly well built guitar and keeps me from getting the others out just to practice when I don’t want to. Sorta like a grab and go guitar.

I do agree with others the stock pickups aren’t my cup of tea either. I’d like to put either EMGs, aldrich pickups, or a Duncan distortion in the bridge.

Last edited:
Ne
Standards have insane weight relief. Classics don’t and some years of traditionals don’t either. My 2018 traditional is non weight relieved.

I have an Edwards LPC, Traditional, and three LPCs.

The Edwards hangs tooth and nail with my standard. It doesn’t compare to my LPCs as they have a more complex tonal character going on. My traditional is way better than the edwards even though it has a rosewood neck.

I bought the edwards to have a “beater” guitar with an ebony FB and stock jumbo frets. Mine has locking tuners on it and I put NOS witchhat speed knobs on it. I haven’t had any problems with the nut.

As far as playing, the edwards has a 59 baseball bat neck like my traditional. It all comes down to personal preference but I don’t mind a heavier neck.

For the money it’s an amazingly well built guitar and keeps me from getting the others out just to practice when I don’t want to. Sorta like a grab and go guitar.

I do agree with others the stock pickups aren’t my cup of tea either. I’d like to put either EMGs, aldrich pickups, or a Duncan distortion in the bridge.
Newer Classics have 9-hole weight relief, my bad. The onen I tried must have.

I'm not a purist when it comes to weight relief or not. I mean, if a guitar sounds and feels good, it is good.

I also personally prefer Rosewood fretboard. I kinda like the woody feel and tone from Rosewood.

Last edited:
Back