Ibanez guys - Older Prestige RG vs new Genesis Collection

JerEvil

I have a hankering for an RG550 type guitar. I see some nice looking sub $1k Prestige models on Reverb used but the new Genesis Collection are Japanese made as well and $999 new.

I haven't followed Ibanez in years so I am not sure which is a better guitar. I just understood Prestige to be the top of the heap.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... sun-yellow

I’m interested in this topic too... really want to get a new Genesis in desert yellow... but reviews so far have been mixed. Especially some mentioned cheese grater fret edges and neck pocket cracks right out of the box.

Wizard of Ozz":13g1n7ji said:
I’m interested in this topic too... really want to get a new Genesis in desert yellow... but reviews so far have been mixed. Especially some mentioned cheese grater fret edges and neck pocket cracks right out of the box.
Oh man! not what I wanted to hear. I have a line a great deal on a Prestige RG. Just seems like the resale is all over the place. At least on the Genesis stuff, you can return to Sweetwater easily enough. I haven't played an Ibby in years and have gravitated towards thicker necks. Nostalgia is a "B" though...

JerEvil":16jzqckb said:
Wizard of Ozz":16jzqckb said:
Oh man! not what I wanted to hear. I have a line a great deal on a Prestige RG. Just seems like the resale is all over the place. At least on the Genesis stuff, you can return to Sweetwater easily enough. I haven't played an Ibby in years and have gravitated towards thicker necks. Nostalgia is a "B" though...

Either way you go (old or new), you'll have issues. If you buy used, you'll be hard pressed to find a Golden Era Ibanez anywhere close to mint condition and if it would most likely need a refret or at the very least a fret level. It's been getting harder and harder to find these old school RG500/700's with necks that aren't disgusting. My experience with the newer Ibanez Prestige's is that their fret work is really hit or miss, to the point where I'm learning how to finish fret ends on junk guitars so I can just fix stuff on arrival. If you go new you get a mint condition body/headstock/fretboard, but run the risk of bad fret ends or a neck pocket crack. At least you can return it if it arrives like that though. Sweetwater is really good about that kind of stuff, you can ask them to make sure the neck is alright. They did it for me when I ordered an Ibanez a few months ago.

If I get into my ultra Ibanez cork-sniffing, the feel of the necks on the old ones are hard to beat. Maybe it's because they've been broken in or a little thinner from wear. I really enjoy the feel of my 91 RG770/565 neck over any newer prestige or iron label neck. I prefer them over my J-Custom Ultra neck and even the similarly spec'd JEM neck. That and the older ones have this thing I call "Ibanez twang", where they just sound great under lots of gain and pinch harmonics come easier than on any other guitar.

Don't pay more than $700 for an older RG550 unless it's in *really* stellar condition. Most can be had for $500+/-.

Got a line on one of these CLAIMING to be minty for about $800 shipped

ibanez-rg3250mz-for-4798.jpg

It's a Prestige RG3250MZ from 2013

drewiv":zotajd4s said:
JerEvil":zotajd4s said:
Got a line on one of these CLAIMING to be minty for about $800 shipped

ibanez-rg3250mz-for-4798.jpg

It's a Prestige RG3250MZ from 2013

EEK! The Edge Zero trem. :no:
Why the Edge Zero hate. Keep in mind, I have no loyalty to an Edge as I am normally not a trem guy and haven't owed an Ibanez since 1990...

The original Edge trem is by far my favorite trem ever, the Lo Pro is good, the Pro is okay, the Edge Zero... frankly, I hated. It's the easiest double locking trem system to set up, but it is the stiffest trem system I have ever played. It also felt cheap. :dunno:

drewiv":dy25y3ca said:
I want to offer you my Black RG550 20th Anny to keep you away from that. :LOL: :LOL:
I think any RG style in a non-funky color would bother me more than the trem. if I'm honest. There's a Desert Yellow 20th on Reverb for $1K with "make an offer"...

JerEvil":pz7qgmw0 said:
drewiv":pz7qgmw0 said:
I want to offer you my Black RG550 20th Anny to keep you away from that. :LOL: :LOL:
I think any RG style in a non-funky color would bother me more than the trem. if I'm honest. There's a Desert Yellow 20th on Reverb for $1K with "make an offer"...
I wouldn't talk you out of that Z. It just wasn't my jam. Keep in mind, my first *real* Ibanez was an '89 Floral JEM. I may have some bias here.

drewiv":ob80pjmk said:
JerEvil":ob80pjmk said:
drewiv":ob80pjmk said:
I wouldn't talk you out of that Z. It just wasn't my jam. Keep in mind, my first *real* Ibanez was an '89 Floral JEM. I may have some bias here.
I might do thing's morally/spiritually "off" for one of those old floral JEM's...

I pulled the trigger. Never owned any of the Prestige stuff and price seemed really good. We'll see if it's a keeper when it gets here.

JerEvil":25qsxiqi said:
I pulled the trigger. Never owned any of the Prestige stuff and price seemed really good. We'll see if it's a keeper when it gets here.
Good luck. I hope you love it. I know it will play well.

JerEvil":ac63nrrl said:
drewiv":ac63nrrl said:
JerEvil":ac63nrrl said:
drewiv":ac63nrrl said:
I might do thing's morally/spiritually "off" for one of those old floral JEM's...

I worked the entire summer of '89, between my Jr. & Sr. year of HS, and then took all of my graduation money and bought a new '89 JEM in the summer of '90 off the GC wall. My parents were not impressed with the decision. :LOL: :LOL: I still have it though.

drewiv":d6a55bnt said:
JerEvil":d6a55bnt said:
JerEvil":d6a55bnt said:

I worked the entire summer of '89, between my Jr. & Sr. year of HS, and then took all of my graduation money and bought a new '89 JEM in the summer of '90 off the GC wall. My parents were not impressed with the decision. :LOL: :LOL: I still have it though.
I am sure they weren't! You should show them the value now in good condition! Take that! LOL!

Pics?

They’re on photobucket and I cannot figure out mobile imgur.

Does this work? Is photobucket working?

Back