If your Mesa 4x12 is fizzy/harsh, or you want for more mids, this post is for you. Series/Parallel Bogner treatment!

Not yet. Studio soon so it’s going in for A/B.
Im really interested in the results. Thinking about making most of my cab switchable. It's kind of like doubling how many cabs you have with two voicings. How much actual change in the sound and feel ?

Im really interested in the results. Thinking about making most of my cab switchable. It's kind of like doubling how many cabs you have with two voicings. How much actual change in the sound and feel ?
I need to get my FL 4x12 too and do them both, but I like S/P so much more I’ll likely just wire two series pairs to two jacks and run two speaker cables for max toans, cork sniffery and gear sluttiness. It’s studio time and 8 ohm Mesa V30’s just bring the sound I love.

That said, the switch is so easy, everyone can try!

I need to get my FL 4x12 too and do them both, but I like S/P so much more I’ll likely just wire two series pairs to two jacks and run two speaker cables for max toans, cork sniffery and gear sluttiness. It’s studio time and 8 ohm Mesa V30’s just bring the sound I love.

That said, the switch is so easy, everyone can try!
I tend to prefer P/S.

But that could change if switching is added.

After all the switching of speakers and cabs I feel I know less about what a 4x12 sounds like than ever.

Several people like the sound of the Peavey straight 4x12 with the greenbacks on top and G12H-30 70th Anniversary on the bottom.

I think I like them all.

After all the switching of speakers and cabs I feel I know less about what a 4x12 sounds like than ever.

Several people like the sound of the Peavey straight 4x12 with the greenbacks on top and G12H-30 70th Anniversary on the bottom.

I think I like them all.
I’m considering a rock wool stuffed bare stained Baltic birch front load with Mesa T4416 V30’s on top and G12K-85’s on bottom, or X pattern for an Ultra-Über Kab.

I’m considering a rock wool stuffed bare stained Baltic birch front load with Mesa T4416 V30’s on top and G12K-85’s on bottom, or X pattern for an Ultra-Über Kab.
My 2x12 and Deliverance 4x12 are front loaded. Certainly makes it easier to change speakers.

I bet it’s Godly sounding. 85’s are 75’s with the 50 oz. magnet.
It's a big sound. I switched around speakers and cabs so much lately it's getting a bit crazy. I plugged in the Ampeg System Switcher and THD Univalve yesterday to compare the cabs in real time. The Univalve is very revealing.

I'm not done yet. A few more speakers and a lot more trying out different amps with the switching rig. Eventually I will have solid conclusions.

I have friends over and play or let them play without telling them what I am doing. A blind test. A lot of it is how they actually play and the rest of the gear.

Not sure how or if the wiring changed anything, but the X-pattern with the K/V combo definitely added some tightness and thump to the upper bass frequencies. It also added a bit of sizzle to the highs which many people probably would not prefer, but I always felt that cab lacked a bit in that department anyways.

The cab had all the OG basket-stamped V30s which have those amazing mids, but since I was used to my newer 2011 straight-baffle rectifier 412 the older cab always sounded just a little muffled in the treble area, so to me it was an improvement or at least something different to work with.
I also don't think those older V30's sound better than newer ones, just different, and if you like cleans, the newer ones with a lot of 5 - 6k sound better with cleans IMO.

Back