IK TONEX - Game Changer?

I've had the software since the week it came out but only used it twice. I'm not a fan of the profile searching, but that'd be the same on any platform. You sort through endless profiles that sound like shit that by the time you find a good one, you don't even care about finding a great one because you're sick of the process. I don't have a need for the pedal now, it'd go unused until I start gigging again, but I'll definitely snag one.
There is over 7000 presets available right now. That is only since September. I agree I won't be spending much time looking at presets. There is plenty of other people doing that and recommending what ones to look at. At this point I have no interest in doing my own samples.

I'm running ToneX pedal into a Fryette PS-100 line in into a Orange 1x12 with a Vintage 30. I have a few EVM12L speakers not in a cabinet. I will probably switch out the speaker eventually.

I'm running ToneX pedal into a Fryette PS-100 line in into a Orange 1x12 with a Vintage 30. I have a few EVM12L speakers not in a cabinet. I will probably switch out the speaker eventually.
This is how I was planning on using it, hence the desire for an FX loop.

having the IR after reverb definitely changes the tone of the verb, but its also how its SUPPOSED to be, and how most records people want to emulate were made. doubt it matters at all for other effects people use in their loops

I spent a few more hours with it last night. I just need more time with it to become more familiar with it. Navigation is easier than a few have suggested.

So far better than anticipated. Some of the sounds and textures I was impressed. Even doing some chug and djent technique the feel was good.

Certainly not going to replace my other rigs but can see it being very useful.

I'm going to get one of these eventually. I just have to. I could have it as a rig backup, studio tool, etc.

So can you play this into the clean channel of an amp with a cab?

So. How good is this thing? Do i need to buy one?
I'm going to get one of these eventually. I just have to. I could have it as a rig backup, studio tool, etc.

So can you play this into the clean channel of an amp with a cab?
It's still just a digital amp and all that comes with that. I rarely recommend gear but so far I like it.

There is 150 presets on the the pedal. Some of them sounded pretty impressive. There is over a 1000 models available from IK Multimedia. Over 6000 models available from users. That is just since September and growing fast.
There is people selling models but with all the free ones available I don't see it likely I would need to buy any.
Basically there is a ridiculous amount of options and sounds available.

It sounds more like a recording than the actual amp in many uses. Like with headphones. When using it with the Power Station and Orange 1x12 Vintage 30 cab it sounded like a amp. You can turn off the cabs globally on the ToneX Pedal. I picked up some headphones so I could check out the cabs in the unity and spent several hours with it yesterday. Checked out all the presets and started going through the models. Presets have the gate, reverb, eq, compressor. Models are the different captures are also inside the presets.

I have not used any of the software. I don't find the pedal difficult to navigate. Relatively easy with the manual.

About 45 of the models are just pedals. No amp or cab. These are obviously meant to be used in front of a amp. Only some of these are for a clean amp.
I will try some of the amp models with the front of a clean amp when I check out the pedal models. Maybe today.

There is just a lot of ways it can be used. Headphone practice rig, live with a amp, recording tool, etc. My drummer is currently in New Orleans I plan to use it to jam with him remotely on the internet.

I tried pretty much all the various digital rigs available made by everyone. This one sounds more like the actual amps in my experience.
I only have had it since Tuesday night. Let's see where I am at with it with more time.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I was wondering what it would sound like in a scenario where my tubes go out on my 5150-III and I plug that into a power amp pedal (like the EHX Howitzer) into the Tonex pedal, then into my 2x12. Would be cool having a pedal setup with tons of uses.

The cab separation algorithm tho' I don't like at all and I didn't like it in Kemper either. Use the software, go to Tonenet and filter by Amp and Amp + Pedal profiles only, aka DI/no cab. Some of them are really amazing.
I don't have a computer here that is compatible with the software. They are too old. I was planning on getting a new computer. The pedal just came out before that happened.
So for now I am only using the pedal other ways.
I did check out the software on at a friend's home before buying the pedal.

Bypassing the cabs on the ToneX pedal worked fine for me. Actually better than I anticipated.

Back