IK TONEX - Game Changer?

I got mine ordered today. Can't wait for it to get here.

Profiling this ASAP.
bvIQa04h.jpg

I ordered one based on a few friends feedback. I will say that if you buy solely on YouTube "reviews" then you have to be prepared to take a chance on being disappointed. I can't remember the last time I played newer gear that even if it wasn't my cup of tea that I would consider it garbage.

I ordered one based on a few friends feedback. I will say that if you buy solely on YouTube "reviews" then you have to be prepared to take a chance on being disappointed. I can't remember the last time I played newer gear that even if it wasn't my cup of tea that I would consider it garbage.

My username is due to the fact i typed a rant on TGP, i just typed without expecting any replies something like "The shilling on this product is huge on Youtube. They just cannot hide it is an infomercial.".

Then a single user replied agreeing that it was all paid reviews but that it was no issue for him because according to him all companies do the same and that i should try the free version which i had already tried and hurted my ears. After the talking with that user was finished guess who appeared out of the blue? Ik Multimedia themselves and that Youtuber SonicDriveStudio, i did not reply to the shill SonicDriveStudio but i did to Ik Multimedia.

Then suddenly i was banned from replying to that thread, and only that thread. While i was unable to make any replies both Ik Multimedia and the shill SonicDriveStudio took the opportunity that i had no chance to reply to discredit me using rethoric for retards. I had no intention to reply anyway. About two days later all my posts got deleted and i do not really care. But if one is not doing something wrong there is no reason to try to cover it using such shady tactics.

That is a good video on the matter.

Tonex DR profile from Tonenet -> Audio Interface + a little bit of delay and reverb

Megadeth did use a Marshall on this track(not CAE rack as many believe). Just saying in case you are attempting to get any close to the same tone.

Last edited:
I'm on the TGP but it is like most places on the internet with a lot of people you need to ignore more than 99% plus of it. There has been countless threads on Rig Talk about negative experiences with TGP. I work in the funeral industry so my tolerance for people having a bad day is different than most people. I did three baby funerals and a women who burned to death on Christmas day this week.
Rig Talk no one cares who you tell to fuck off or whatever. There is a lot less moderation.
YouTube way beyond guitar stuff is mostly nonsense. It can be entertaining but would never recommend using it to decide if you want to buy anything. The internet in general I only use to see what is around. I don't buy anything without trying it first.
I didn't try the pedal but did try out ToneX on a friend's computer before buying the pedal. My experience with pedal has been positive but make it clear it is a digital amp and everything that goes along with that....

Fuck off everyone and have a great day.

I'm on the TGP but it is like most places on the internet with a lot of people you need to ignore more than 99% plus of it. There has been countless threads on Rig Talk about negative experiences with TGP. I work in the funeral industry so my tolerance for people having a bad day is different than most people. I did three baby funerals and a women who burned to death on Christmas day this week.
Rig Talk no one cares who you tell to fuck off or whatever. There is a lot less moderation.
YouTube way beyond guitar stuff is mostly nonsense. It can be entertaining but would never recommend using it to decide if you want to buy anything. The internet in general I only use to see what is around. I don't buy anything without trying it first.
I didn't try the pedal but did try out ToneX on a friend's computer before buying the pedal. My experience with pedal has been positive but make it clear it is a digital amp and everything that goes along with that....

Fuck off everyone and have a great day.
I came to the realization one day that watching gear reviews on my free time on the computer was the equivalent of me watching commercials. Since then I've reduced the amount of time I spend on there especially where gear "reviews" are concerned. If I'm watching guitar related vids it needs to be something that is showing me something with my playing, recording, etc. It is funny when you see all these vids show up on the same day all exclaiming how great something is. Out of those people half have a video somewhere that they talk to you about how awesome raid shadow legends.

I came to the realization one day that watching gear reviews on my free time on the computer was the equivalent of me watching commercials. Since then I've reduced the amount of time I spend on there especially where gear "reviews" are concerned. If I'm watching guitar related vids it needs to be something that is showing me something with my playing, recording, etc. It is funny when you see all these vids show up on the same day all exclaiming how great something is. Out of those people half have a video somewhere that they talk to you about how awesome raid shadow legends.
Yes, these days it is that bad.

When looking for a legit opinion i do ask Google "Does product sucks? ".
The haters reviews or posts are usually correct in the point(s) they are making. If you ask Google if ToneX sucks you will find users in forums that cannot be bought by Ik Multimedia saying that even the cheapest Mooer unit sounds better. I completely agree.

Mooer's JCM800 as long as you do not push bass too much sounds like the JCM800. While the one in ToneX sounds nothing like it. The same goes for the other models i tested, SLO and 5150. Then a massive number of suspicious people appear all of sudden saying it is better than or similar to a Quad Cortex.

They made an AC/DC preset with JCM800 and made it heavily dressed with effects. Do you think they have any clue of what they are doing after seeing such a bizarre preset? They do not, they are clueless.

I am into electronic music too, Ik Multimedia stuff in the EDM and IDM community was the lowest level one could go. Only suggested if one could not afford anything else.

Last edited:
Almost all of them suck compared to what's on Tonenet or whatever that user platform is called. Try it and see for yourself ...

You know that Ola guy made a paid review of it. He is very good with these devices and profiled his own 5150 with ToneX, he says in the video the profiled 5150 is good but you can hear yourself in his own video that it still sounded nothing like his real one.

I've had mine for a couple of days....Have not profiled anything just downloaded some amps from "tonenet". A lot of sucky ones, but I have found some that sound and feel AT LEAST as good as my neural DSP plugins which are pretty cool. Also has bass amps, and pedal models. For $399 it's not bad at all and sounds great as a preamp into a tube power amp. All this is my opinion of course

Tried it with a few other guitar players running into a Diezel Einstein loop and out front. Orange Pedal Baby 100. Both amps running into Diezel 2x12 with a G12K-100 and Vintage 30.

Took a fair amount of EQ to get it with a lot of presets. The noise gate with high gain needed pretty extreme setting to get the tail to sound good. That caused less sustain. The interface is intuitive and very easy to use on the pedal. Getting sounds dialed in is fairly quick.

As for the pedal presets out in front of the Einstein using the ones that came stock a few sounded pretty good. Most were stuff I wouldn't be interested. I can't give a strong yes or no for that application yet. Banks of three pedals each with the bypass on each pedal makes it very easy to use for this application. We did not try to adjust the pedal sounds or use different sounds on the amp. Just ran through them with a crunch sound on the amp. So not really a fair evaluation.

All three of us liked the results. Lots of good sounds. I don't know about replacing all the other digital rigs like some claim. But it was as good or better as the rest.

I captured my Wizards, Rockman, MP-1 with Tonex. It's pretty good, def better than Kemper (never tried Quad Cortex). The Kemper always seems to screw up the midrange (cocked wah) and the low end (thin or bloated depending on amp) which are the hardest to fix in a mix. Adds gain too. Sometimes though, Kemper's inaccuracy can make a crappy amp sound better than the real one.

Tonex isnt perfect either but it seems closer in the midrange and low end with the only little experience I have with it so far. The high end is duller and there is less gain but they provide you with a gain knob before you finalize your capture. I prefer Tonex for the simple fact that its not self contained, which makes demoing on a laptop with sounds similar to what you own without flipping through 1000 presets. Kemper's cool too just different.

I just want to say I appreciate what you do for a living. I can't imagine having to deal with stuff like that day in and day out. My job is not like that but definitely is something that can weigh on the mind daily froma different angle.

I think everyone has "something" but there are tons of folks that complain about everything because they are hardwired now. I couldn't have imagined when I was 16, having a few thousand dollar computer, a phone, Doordash, tickets to see my favorite band with V.I.P. access, etc. A lot of people are just plain spoiled.

I work my ass off in my 50s and have done so since age 16. I have been thru quite a lot of crap since 2017 but life is about moving forward, laughing, being good to others, etc. That is my goal man, positive energy.

having the IR after reverb definitely changes the tone of the verb, but its also how its SUPPOSED to be, and how most records people want to emulate were made. doubt it matters at all for other effects people use in their loops
Spaceboy is right.

Effects loops in amps were invented to approximate having the effects after the guitar signal is mic'd in the studio. It would be a waste of resources (and increase in retail price) to add a fx loop to the ToneX so that you could have the sub-optimal version of time based effects after the preamp but before the power amp+IR.

It is interesting that people that have not tried it at all are deciding they don't want it based on features or whatever. I don't buy anything based on anything but sound. All the rest of it seems unimportant to me.

It is interesting that people that have not tried it at all are deciding they don't want it based on features or whatever. I don't buy anything based on anything but sound. All the rest of it seems unimportant to me.
A decision based on functionality, features, dimensions, whatever is just as relevant as a decision based on sound :)

Back