I'm a Metallica fan, but I'm a bit sceptical about this

Why not? Kirks got his name on EVERYTHING (an EMG set as well), he's as bad as Zakk and Dime... Hetfield has only really started the sig thing recently, other than guitars, and he started doing that WAY after Kirk did...

at least it's a legitimate new pickup designed for him and not like the KK, Wylde and KH sets that just have their name on standard EMG pickups.

Skrln":pj8133ud said:
James hetfield has a signature pickup set... :confused:

http://www.metallica.com/page.asp?ps_ke ... um=twitter

It's supposed to be the best of passive and active mixed in one.

What's next, Signature guitar input jack? :doh:

It's just a pickup system that he developed with EMG, based on what he wanted in a pickup. He said straight out "how can you make it better?" So he thought to have some features on how it could be better for him. I don't see a problem with it. It's only normal for EMG to market it as a business venture. And at least you know that James would stand behind the product and use it, rather than a lot of other musicians who release signature gear yet don't really use them themselves...

I wouldn't necessarily buy it- well, maybe because I already have the Suhr equivalent! A pair of Doug Aldrich series passive humbuckers that have a hot signal like an active pickup yet the punch and clarity of passives, as well as the 'distressed' metal finish! They were originally gold-plated, but most of the gold has warn off so they look mostly like silver.
And I'm more of a fan of James than Doug, song-wise anyway.

Whats the big deal, emg made hetfield a sig pickup, i dont know why metallica fans would be skeptical, either you like it or you dont. Its not like emg is scamming somebody, buy it if you like it or dont buy it, im gonna buy a set and try them because im curious about how they sound and i dont mind spending for them, i piss my money on everything else so why not. They might be cool.
Everybody else makes sig model stuff and atleast hetfield has been a active emg user for many years, lesser guys that arent worthy have sig stuff.

whats the big deal :dunno: I think its pretty cool he's doing it for himself wanting to make it better. I am probably going to buy a set and put it in one of my explorers... They look pretty cool

I dig the way they look,and I've actually been holding off on buying regular EMG's for a Les Paul I'm blacking out,but I haven't seen or heard anymore about them. That video mentions "go to our website for more info" and they have no mention of them.
I like the way they look though.
And Hetfield has been pretty good about "not" whoring his name.

XSSIVE":39q7xi4j said:
at least it's a legitimate new pickup designed for him and not like the KK, Wylde and KH sets that just have their name on standard EMG pickups.

I agree, and I for one am interested in these, not because of his name on it, but because they sound like they'd be interesting.

I am definitely going to buy a set of these! I dont have a problem with sig gear. If there was a Hetfield cola or something then no, I wouldn't support that.

"set that captures the clarity and punch of a passive pickup and still retains the legendary active tone"

Isn't that what the SD Blackout does? Seems like it might be pretty similar, though I think the new EMG looks better. Might have to pick up a set of these out of curiosity!

SwampDonkey":1x9ivjgq said:
"set that captures the clarity and punch of a passive pickup and still retains the legendary active tone"

Isn't that what the SD Blackout does? Seems like it might be pretty similar

They very likely are similar, as well as the Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups that I have.

As it was already pointed out, James Hetfield has been an active and devoted user of EMG pickups for many years, and as he said himself in the video- "How can you make it better?" (or something to that effect). He was already satisfied with the 81/60 combo, but because of his own experiments with the distressed looks etc., thought it'd be good to have his EMG pickups look like that too. And also, because of the wide variety of sounds that he needs for the songs and for what amps he's using he came to terms he needed something a bit more versatile. Instead of going for another brand, he stayed loyal to EMG and had the 81/60 pickups modified for a more "passive-like" character, and with different aesthetics. If EMG want to market it, why not? Like Steve Lukather, James Hetfield is one of the major promoters of EMG pickups, so I think it's only fair to sell them as a signature series.

There's a lot more Metallica-branded items to be skeptical about than James Hetfield-signature guitar pickup systems!
Boardshorts, shoes, laundry bags, and hopefully not coffins like the "KISS Casket"....

I think it's really cool they did this. I, for one, am really curious to try them out in my Explorer as soon as I can scrape up $240. Wish you could just buy one though, mainly interested in the bridge pickup but oh well...

splawner":31hjp0dk said:
:confused: Why would be sceptical...

I think the OP was seeking feedback as to whether this was another one of those "Fire up the silkscreen and paint Hetfield on that new arrival of stock EMG's we just got in"

Im gonna buy a set for my ken lawrence explorer and if they sound awsome i will put some in my silverburst les paul, hopefully they will be released soon.

Back