Is a G Major 2 still the best buy for rack fx?

Spaceboy

Just looking for my best option for rack reverb and delay that’s simple to program and be affordable. I’m surprised nobody has come out with a 1U rack effect for a decent price in the past decade.

I bought one and I like it.. has ALOT of options to program per effect and can get a bit annoying.. at least to me. But it sounds great. I use it in conjunction a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro and daisy chains to a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher to change channels on my Splawn Nitro.

A good option it has is if you buy one of those Midi to USB cables, you can use a computer to configure your patches, etc..

I think part of "no new 1U rack effects" is a lot of manufacturers are focusing on the Multi-effects devices like the Kemper, AxeFx, Helix, etc.. At least from what I am noticing.

Good luck

Last edited:
I’m going to say this knowing there’s a particular member who is going to come in here and shit all over it, but I still love my G-Force for the delays. Reverbs aren’t my favorite but if you aren’t super picky, they do the job. Been seeing them for under $400 lately. Though I think the G-Major has the relays for amp channel switching, doesn’t it? The G-Force doesn’t. Breeze to program, too.

I’m going to say this knowing there’s a particular member who is going to come in here and shit all over it, but I still love my G-Force for the delays. Reverbs aren’t my favorite but if you aren’t super picky, they do the job. Been seeing them for under $400 lately. Though I think the G-Major has the relays for amp channel switching, doesn’t it? The G-Force doesn’t. Breeze to program, too.
The G-major 2 has the single relay jack.

I would say the G Major 2 or Intellifex. I like both. Both have good delay and reverb. The Intellifex is more transparent, but more limited.

I also like the MPX-1, but it is not easy to program. The Replifex is good also, but the Intellifex is the better choice for only delay and reverb.

I had no idea it had a computer editor. I might be sold on it then, because I can be a neanderthal leaning digital equipment. I plan to make use of the relay to switch a 2-channel amp that doesn’t have MIDI.

What do I need to know when it comes to controllers? I’m looking at a cheap Mongoose or MIDI Mate. I don’t need much functionality, only need to switch between about 5 presets.

I went through this a couple years ago when looking for a rack-based effects unit for my tube head. I'd had a G Major 2 years ago and it worked great, but it's dated.

There's not as much out there. Processing power has advanced enough that what used to need a rack can now fit in a pedal. I ended up using an Eventide H9 for awhile, mounted to a rack shelf.

I thing the T.C. G System might be a better choice than the G Major 2. It does more than just effects, but it does more of those too. It's 1U that you pop out of the floorboard. If all I needed was effects, this is probably the route I'd go.

I use an Axe-FX III for mine, which is overkill for just effects, but it doubles as my backup rig. If I blow a tube or a fuse or whatever, I can finish the gig with the Fractal.

An Axe-FX II might be worth considering as well. It'll be more $$ than either T.C. product, and it may be more than you need too. FWIW.

I had the G Major, G Force, and G System all at different times over the years, but never the G Major 2. To my ears, my favorite was the original G Major.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I am now using the Fractal FX8 with my Boogie Mark IV. The effects are second to none, and the relay switches make this a G System on steroids.

As of recent, the Fractal FM3 gets all of the play time - so much that the AX8 is now in the classifieds.

I had the g major, the g2, g force, and the g system and I liked the g2 best. Actually I had two of them and if I was looking for a 1u unit thw g2 would be my first choice.

Currently I'm using the ax8, but wish it had the relays. (FWIW The g2 has one relay jack, but the ring and tip control two separate switches.)

Just looking for my best option for rack reverb and delay that’s simple to program and be affordable. I’m surprised nobody has come out with a 1U rack effect for a decent price in the past decade.
If your just using the G-Major 2 for verb and delay get the Suhr Minimix 2. Sounds like a million bucks compared to a serial loop connection.

If your just using the G-Major 2 for verb and delay get the Suhr Minimix 2. Sounds like a million bucks compared to a serial loop connection.

Definitely use a mixer in a serial loop. I hate running my entire signal through AD/DA conversion. I’m using a musicom labs parallelizer. Much more control compared to the Suhr or RJM and can mix 3 separate loop... at same time or separately.

http://musicomlab.com/parallelizer.htm

I was hoping to stay away from using a mixer, and read reviews that the conversion on the G Major II wasn’t that bad. If I’m having to buy additional hardware and space to run the unit, then it gets away from the budget and space limitations I had in mind.

G Major.... really?
You guys settle for very low end!
MPX1 and MPX-G2 used only as fx are very cheap and kill the G-major and Intellifex flat out.
For some more money you get Lexicon PCM80 and 81...
For a little more the Eventide Eclipse----

If you really want cheap but not low-end.... a couple of Roland DEP-5 and a mixer (you need it anyway!) or a Boss SE-70 and a DEP-5 are other interesting choices that sound really nice and musical.

Call me crazy but I’d buy a used axe fx standard over anything here. Much easier to use, better computer based editor, and drive pedals etc. the fx are still second to none even in the standard. I’ve seen them for 500 or so. Or even the ultra, just a way better idea to me personally. Plus you have a backup rig just with the axe fx itself.

I have the Axe-FX II, Intellifex, Replifex, G Major 2, and MPX-1. Honestly, I think they can all sound good in their own ways. It really comes down to what features you want, what limitations you can live with, what your hassle factor in dealing with a unit is, and how much money you want to spend.

Good topic, i was wondering that too. i'm at that point where i'm 4-5 fx pedals deep in my rig now, and when i get to this point, typically i start thinking about flipping them all for an all in one. I really liked the original g-major, save for the shitty knobs and buttons that were prone to falling off.
what about the g-system? anyone one use those? can't they be racked and/or mounted on that floor board? i've been seeing those go for 500ish lately.

I remember buying a GMajor 2 to get a guitar oriented processor when they came out. I was using a Kurzweil Mangler before that. Definitely a downgrade in quality to go from the Kurzweil to the TC. The prices were about the same IIRC. The TC also stopped working within 2 years. If all you want is reverb and delay, consider looking for a used Kurzweil Rumour. As already pointed out, a used AxeFX Standard is probably a good buy too.

Back