Is Customer Service Dead?

In my experience that doesn't sound like shipping damage.
It also doesn't sound like a custom guitar would ever ship like that.

A truss rod can't "spin freely and wouldn't adjust", yet also "caused a crack in the fretboard".

????

Dave does go the extra mile. 4 years ago I picked up a very early BE 100; one of the Metro wired PTP versions. Had a really cool mod to make it more open and raw like a good stock Marshall. The half power switch went on the fritz; I messaged Dave here on his sub forum and within 30 minutes he got back to me. Told me exactly what to replace and sent me a pic of it. Now that's customer service.
I have emailed Dave over the years a few times and have always received a same day or next day response. I bought a used Friedman Small Box and I remember when I had an issue which ended up as usual being tube related, I emailed Dave and told him that I bought a used Small Box and described my problem and I said I fully understood that it was not a warrantable issue because I purchased a used amp. Dave's response was something along the lines of, it was his amp and he would still take care of it if there was a problem along with some great troubleshooting advice which was spot on and got my amp back in service quickly without needing to send it to him for service. I have a management position in customer service with perhaps the largest new home builder in the country. One of the reasons why we are the Great White shark is because the written warranty and the letter of the law both say one thing but we go above and beyond that on a regular basis all while delivering a product that equals or surpasses our competition.

Last edited:
I had a tech issue w/a amp 2018. It was winter NAMM the busiest time of year for music companies. I sent Dave a some pic's of my amp. He replied with the solution on a weekend no less during NAMM !
He has always returned my emails & phone calls.
Countless stories like this.

Friedman does offer great customer support. I have seen him offer repairs on amps bought second hand that people have modded.

Kyle Rhodes and Nik at Ceriatone are the two Amp manufacturers that I deal with almost exclusively and that has as much to do with customer service as anything else. Hell Nik helped me with an issue on a build that wasn't even his. Kyle Rhodes has also been very helpful even when it didn't directly benefit him. He has even offered help on a few things that I would only expect from a good friend.

As far as pedals I pretty much use Deadweald for my boost and now noise gates as I actually consider him a good friend and he makes great products.

Now if I could find a guitar manufacturer that I could get a similar business relationship as I have with KSR, Ceriatone, and Deadweald I think I would be set.

It's nice to be able to contact the person who designed your gear and they know who you are, what you have, and what you like. We have a lot of great options now and really there is no reason to give your money to someone who doesn't value you as a customer. This isn't like when I was growing up buying Peavey, Marshall, and boss stuff where you are just another faceless customer.

Having said that for me it's a two way street. I try to do what I can for these manufacturers and their user communities(like answering questions about settings, recommendations, etc)

In my experience that doesn't sound like shipping damage.
It also doesn't sound like a custom guitar would ever ship like that.

A truss rod can't "spin freely and wouldn't adjust", yet also "caused a crack in the fretboard".

????
Sounds like someone who didn’t know what they were doing attempted a truss rod adjustment.

You said out loud what I was thinking.
Nope. Sorry. The crack was the first thing that was discovered when my tech was changing the strings. After he installed the strings, he went to do a slight adjustment and discovered what was happening with the truss rod.
I have no idea how this was either missed or what could have occurred. But it’s the plain and simple truth.

Sorry if my comments came across badly. It's just so strange the way it was explained.
Had you played it prior to your tech working on it?
All good man.
Yeah... The guitar played just fine. But he found the issue right away and let me know.
It still "feels" fine. Just has these issues.

UPDATE BTW...
Got things worked out with the builder.
All will be rectified. No thanks to the a** hat dealer.

I'm not going to crucify anyone here. The builder is correcting the issue, so I'm not gonna name any names. Please don't ask.
I'm just appalled at the way this idiot can treat a customer. Not a good way to build a clientele.

7af1e3ca9bfef2e824ebf57d8d7d463e.jpg

Someone experiencing problems in the deep south is no surprise to me.
Oh god damn those mother fuckers are in Oregon and Washington state too. You come on down to the dirty south you liable to get your little feelings hurt.

Oh god damn those mother fuckers are in Oregon and Washington state too. You come on down to the dirty south you liable to get your little feelings hurt.

No, no, no. Keep it a secret! The South is full of morons and incest; tooth-less idiots with IQ’s in the double digits. We are VERY backwards down here. Please, please, all of you West Coasters and Yankees moving down here now, or the ones that are considering it, DON’T DO IT!!!

Back