Is the era of the mosh pit over?

danyeo":3af4sayt said:
moshgirl11sf2.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Man!!!! That was just the ticket for a good laugh today!!! Thanks for that gutbuster.

danyeo":2qhjs0wy said:
GOOD RIDDANCE. Always hated them and the whole idea of it. What do you want to do at a show, listen and watch the bands you're paying to see or rub up against fat, smelly, hairy, Lou Albano look a likes? I was tired of mosh pits in the late 80's. :thumbsdown:

This x 1000.

And stop with the crowd surfing nonsense too.

Classic style pits are few and far between, as far as I've seen over the past 5 years or so. Been in some good ones at Black Dahlia Murder shows. Cannibal Corpse was pretty good too, brutal pit. Some alright pits at Killswitch Engage shows, back in the day when they were heavy. It's a lot of circle pits these days, which I do like.

I broke a guys nose at Gigantour 2 years back :LOL: :LOL: The guy was being a complete asshole to everyone in the area, and had knocked down quite a few people outside of the pit, including me. I see the guy running at me again, so I turn to face him and throw an elbow at him, catch him in the nose and break his nose :LOL: :LOL:
The people around me who had been harassed by this guy all night started hollering and clapping :rock: Fucking drunk asshole fucking with people. You wanna knock people down? Be ready to get your ass kicked. Pretty good crowd in Chicago, the people there don't take to kindly to drunk fucks picking on others OUTSIDE of the pit.

I have seen pit a every extreme metal show i have been too in the last 15 years or so, Im not sure what gigs you guys are going to but the ritualistic, cathartic pit and its dancing is still very much alive!

I miss a good mosh pit. Now I just knock people over when they push me in, but mostly because the particpants are all little kids from emo screamo who think they can mosh before their balls have dropped. Every show Ive been to Ive moshed, and I try to start one per show. 6'6" tall so my wingspan helps force people in. But its true that they are starting to die out and only violent/gay people are left. Also the pit lasts for 30 seconds before everyone rushes to the front again.
Hate the circle pits, have not seen one yet that made it seem more manly than fucking May Day in the Netherlands. There were a couple shows that people tried to make a wall of death like 6 times in the space of their set, that also sucks.

One exception in recent memory, Went to a Nile show on Valentines day, and there was only a total of 45 people in the crowd. One of the best moshes because everyone was single, long haired, smelly, and loved Nile.

danyeo":2o7gj4r9 said:
GOOD RIDDANCE. Always hated them and the whole idea of it. What do you want to do at a show, listen and watch the bands you're paying to see or rub up against fat, smelly, hairy, Lou Albano look a likes? I was tired of mosh pits in the late 80's. :thumbsdown:

+1

I've always thought mosh pits were retarded.

LOG at Phillips Arena, same story of drunk assholes trying carry the slamming outside the very small pit. Running into guys with gf's Then getting bitch slapped down. Keep that shit in the pit if you want it. Otherwise I have no problem with a good reverse punch in the solar plexus, aside of the instant puking. Stupid fucks.

mrp5150":1s1lkoty said:
danyeo":1s1lkoty said:

+1

I've always thought mosh pits were retarded.
Yeah I kinda agree but back in my youth it was a great way to let off some steam. I 'm way too old for that shit now, but it is kinda funny to watch.

I like seeing a good old school pit (I feel too old to participate now :D ), but this kung fu stuff has got to go. One of the last shows I went to I thought I was going to have to choke somebody out. There weren't many people there so everybody has plenty of space around them while they're watching the band. Nobody is moshing, but this one douche feels the need to get right next to me and start practicing his kung fu. I didn't even see him coming until I felt the wind from his arm. If he would have landed one it probably would have knocked the piss out of me. I'm not the type of guy to start fights, but I saw red for a second and if that dude would have hit me :gethim: .... Even worse than that, I was at this other show recently at the same venue(with a butt ton more people). There is a pit definite pit going on, butd this douche is doing his martial arts thing decides to run full force towards some people at the edge of the pit and right before he gets there he jumps and does this goofy spin kick looking thing. Luckly he didn't get his leg around (he ended up flying into the people back first), but this kid could have seriously hurt somebody. I really wish one of people he crashed into had taught him some manners.

i think it is the type of show that determines now. Latest shows I have been to have all had them, cept Maiden. As I lay Dying, Trivum, August burns Red, Chimera, Opeth, Skeleton Witch, Testament, Lazarath AD, Unearth, Slayer, Killswitch Engage, Bullet for my valentine, WhiteChapel all had pits or circle pits. :rock: Not dead.

fearhk213":21z5a0v0 said:
I like seeing a good old school pit (I feel too old to participate now :D ), but this kung fu stuff has got to go. One of the last shows I went to I thought I was going to have to choke somebody out. There weren't many people there so everybody has plenty of space around them while they're watching the band. Nobody is moshing, but this one douche feels the need to get right next to me and start practicing his kung fu. I didn't even see him coming until I felt the wind from his arm. If he would have landed one it probably would have knocked the piss out of me. I'm not the type of guy to start fights, but I saw red for a second and if that dude would have hit me :gethim: .... Even worse than that, I was at this other show recently at the same venue(with a butt ton more people). There is a pit definite pit going on, butd this douche is doing his martial arts thing decides to run full force towards some people at the edge of the pit and right before he gets there he jumps and does this goofy spin kick looking thing. Luckly he didn't get his leg around (he ended up flying into the people back first), but this kid could have seriously hurt somebody. I really wish one of people he crashed into had taught him some manners.

Went to an Ozzfest eons ago with my buds and there were a couple of guys doing this at a tiny set. One of my buds grabs a dude in a choke cuz the guys fists and feet are within a couple inches of people. THen one of the kid's freinds punches my buddy in the face twice and the whole things turns into a brawl as I rush to defend my buddy and people who were watching saw what happened and join in to defend us. We ended up getting kicked out, like 10 people, but justice was served and the kid and his gang quietly left while we cursed them off. The whole thing about people looking for fights is certainly true for metal shows. And at younger and younger ages. Good concert experiance

EXPcustom":3j8lk0rx said:
Been to a few recent concerts and I noticed its just people standing around with their cell phone cameras, are there really any big mosh pits anymore like back in the 90's or was that the end of an era? :cry:

I remember there were mosh pits at the Blind Melon concerts. :rock:

I know there maybe some kids that try to mosh at the local EMO Screamo show at the church down the road but that does not really count. :thumbsdown:

Well... if there were mosh pits at Blind Melon, then it's certainly over. Kinda like Ed Hardy designs at Target or Ross... :gethim:

On the other hand, saw Exodus last month and there was not only a savage mosh pit, but the whole wall of death bit... Crazy kids. :rock:

I hope mosh pits are still going. Not this kick-boxing and fighting shit, but just hard head-banging and jumping up and down, waving arms in the air, that sort of stuff. Just full-on raging to the energy of the band.

I hate it when people just stand there and/or use those silly camera phones to film stuff. Boring.

i went to see motorhead last september at the pageant in st louis. reverend horton heat opened.
they had a mosh pit that i didn't want any part of lol

The mosh isn't dead, you're just too old. :D

There's different styles depending on the genre and scene a band works in. There's still old-fasioned slam dancing, crowd surfing, circle pits, etc at thrash and death metal concerts, while down the road you might see more dancing at a metalcore show, some pogo and slamming at a punk show, and the at the hardcore gig it's just an all-out brawl. Scenes are much more "clicky" than they seemed to be before my time, but the mosh is still there.

Back