"its only 120 volts"

0.1 - 0.2 amp is potentially lethal. But the path that current takes through your body has a lot to do with it as well. That's why it's advised to have one hand in your back pocket when you're working around potentially lethal voltages. If you do happen to get zapped, hopefully electricity takes a path that doesn't cross your heart.

I was part of our Maintenance teams "BE AWARE" safety program.
After watching a video of a wrench falling into a open panel and seeing a person vaporized
I came to respect there jobs 100%.

Believing "volts" with no "amps" won't hurt you may get you killed.

Last edited:
0.1 - 0.2 amp is potentially lethal. But the path that current takes through your body has a lot to do with it as well. That's why it's advised to have one hand in your back pocket when you're working around potentially lethal voltages. If you do happen to get zapped, hopefully electricity takes a path that doesn't cross your heart.

I’ve been hit with 200V DC at 4mA - I got hit with post plate resistor B+ Down one arm and through my leg. Made my eyes go nuts but nothing heart related because of this exact rule which I preach to no tomorrow. It made my fingers ache for a few days but nothing more than annoying.

If you’re wondering why, I was using gator clips with insulation not rated for the voltages we use in our amps and swapping parts out. Needless to say I bought all new gator clips after it happened.

I’ve been hit with 200V DC at 4mA - I got hit with post plate resistor B+ Down one arm and through my leg. Made my eyes go nuts but nothing heart related because of this exact rule which I preach to no tomorrow. It made my fingers ache for a few days but nothing more than annoying.

If you’re wondering why, I was using gator clips with insulation not rated for the voltages we use in our amps and swapping parts out. Needless to say I bought all new gator clips after it happened.

Lucky. Good thing it wasn't AC.

I've only been bit once. I was testing an amp build. Saw some lint or a pice of insulation or something laying in the chassis. Stupidly, I reached a finger in there to grab it and the base of my thumb brushed against one of the poles on the power switch lol. But because the tip of my finger was grounding at the chassis, the current when into my thumb and out my finger. So it was just a momentary zap. But it scared the crap out of me.

I grounded out three 230 volt contactors in series w/a meter doing Industrial HVAC, don't ask me how i still don't know.
Was like a 12 gauge shotgun going off in my face. I don't recommend that.
And ive taken various jolts over the years both AC & DC.
Once while replacing a 3 foot long fluorescent bulb in summer heat on a ladder i was sweating my ass off & couldn't line up the pins on the bulb correctly in the sockets so i used my fingers on both hands on the pins to guide.
Because i was dripping with sweat i became part of the circuit.
Those ballast are high voltage.
Was dizzy a bit but seemed okay. Later that night woke up with chest pains in the night.
I don't recommend that either.
I got pinned under a 72' Firebird by 115 VAC from a droplight putting in a transmission.
That hurt cuz i couldn't break contact.
I have no problem hiring qualified people even tho i can do things myself.

Last edited:
I got caught in a JCM 800 standby off, drop a tiny piece of wire. Oh damn I`ll get it. That fucker popped me like a dumbass I was barefoot on a concrete floor. All I saw was orange.

Been zapped by 240v and higher many, many times beginning when I was a kid (3 or 4 y.o.), deciding it was a good idea to poke copper wire into a wall socket.

The only time I can legitimately say it wasn't my fault was when I copped 500+ volts by standing on an electric ray in South Africa. Blown right up out of the water. Got to see the critter up-close too 'cause a dude spotted it and fished it out with a net. Some tough bikies were sceptical but once one of them touched it with his big toe he shut up quick-sharp.

I will say this:
It's the sustained electric flow that's most-unnerving. Your muscles seize up and you literally can't move. Quite-frightening.

boy-puts-knife-in-plugin-outlet.jpg

"Sam was interested in Electronics at an early age" ...

I was an electrician for 10 years and I've seen some shit. Do not underestimate, even 'weak' voltages and amperages. I've seen a simple 20amp 120volt circuit cause temporary/local paralysis and heart arrhythmia in a coworker. I had a bad incident where I touched the capacitor leads in an outside parking lot light, it was a 277v/60a circuit but capacitors make shit much worse. Since I was touch the light fixture, I was grounded to it and the current glued to me the housing, currently flowing from the capacitor across my body into the pole. Luckily, I had a man on the ground watching out and he was able to drop the bucket of the truck a couple feet which broke me free. I had strange burns on my hand that took months to heal, and for the next week had a tough time moving my left arm and shoulder. It essentially made all my muscles tense up and seize. When I was being held by the current, I couldn't move, couldn't breathe, couldn't even think to realize what was happening. So I can imagine some aging, drifting caps in an amp doing some damage, even though n an amp might only be 120v. Electricity can be a real son of a bitch. Did some power plant work for a bit too and the stories of dudes who lost their lives on the job there can be like straight from a horror film.

I was an electrician for 10 years and I've seen some shit. Do not underestimate, even 'weak' voltages and amperages. I've seen a simple 20amp 120volt circuit cause temporary/local paralysis and heart arrhythmia in a coworker. I had a bad incident where I touched the capacitor leads in an outside parking lot light, it was a 277v/60a circuit but capacitors make shit much worse. Since I was touch the light fixture, I was grounded to it and the current glued to me the housing, currently flowing from the capacitor across my body into the pole. Luckily, I had a man on the ground watching out and he was able to drop the bucket of the truck a couple feet which broke me free. I had strange burns on my hand that took months to heal, and for the next week had a tough time moving my left arm and shoulder. It essentially made all my muscles tense up and seize. When I was being held by the current, I couldn't move, couldn't breathe, couldn't even think to realize what was happening. So I can imagine some aging, drifting caps in an amp doing some damage, even though n an amp might only be 120v. Electricity can be a real son of a bitch. Did some power plant work for a bit too and the stories of dudes who lost their lives on the job there can be like straight from a horror film.
IBEW-Logo.jpg

Gat damn you win, not that its a competition.
Glad you made it okay.
When i see weekend warriors DIY types try to rewire a 200 amp fuse panel cause they saw it on "youtube" scares the shit outta ME cuz i know they have no idea what they're getting into and usually they never heed advice to call a licensed wireman.

My rule with electricity. Don’t fuck with it.

Have a cousin who used to run a small airport years ago. A father son team were swapping out runway lights, got their signals crossed…son fried dad. It was instant.

Love my electricity, but in the wires where it was meant to be 😂

Back