It's time - tube amp/s

BIGKAHUNA

What's up everyone. I have made up my mind to add another tube amp/s to my gear stable. At least 2 over time but who knows where it will end up lol. I currently have a Ceriatone Yeti 50 running into Marshall 1960ax cab for analog and I have the digital realm covered with a Quad Cortex running into a Fryette LXII into 2 Gflex 212 cabs. This is a want purchase more than a need purchase. Not to be dramatic but I've had a couple medical issues in the last 3 years that put me at deaths door so...I am going to start working on a bucket list type thing. A little background - I am nothing more than an unglorified bedroom guitarist these days. That being said I was recently offered a Rythm guitar spot in a local cover band that is comprised of old guys like me (was unable to accept as at the i'd just gotten out o fthe hospital and was in recovery). Guess what I am saying is that my situation could evolve from bedroom wanker. At least that is the pan when I get retired like those dudes lol.

Here is the short list as it stands right now (my mind is subject to change hourly:)

Bogner Uberschall Ultra MK2 - the clips/vids of this thing are unreal. Brutal in a good way. Most likely my first purchase. Just an itch I may need to scratch. Will it get big on the bottom similar to the Rectifier?

Bogner Ecstasy 1010B? Not sure that the best year/model Ecstasy is best but would like to hear opinions. There are a few 101Bs on Reverb under 3k - would speed up the Acquistion timeline for a second purchase.

A Friedman (BE 1000 Deluxe/SS V2 etc - I really like the versatility that the BE 100 Deluxe appears to have. It seems like an amp that will cover a lot of ground. I love the mod'd Marshall tones. The YT vids of the SS V2 are pretty epic as well.

Soldano SLO - What can I say...legendary reputation...just seems like the reviews of the SLO can be all over the map from greates amp of all time to meh. If I get one it'd probably be after I got a couple of the previous 3.

Would like to hear opinions on these from those of you that have some time playing them. Recommendations or critiques. I am not a great player...don't like dry.. I prefer harmonically rich...liquid feeling gain...that type of thing suits me. Of the amps listed are there any that excel at that? any that fall into the dry category when it comes to how it feels under the fingers? Would also be open to hear other suggestions. Thanks.

SLO is legendary for its lead tone, but far different from the Bogners. The Ultra sounds like an amp that can nail many different tones; I'd maybe pick that one since you have 2 Bogners on the list. But the SLO has a rich/3d thing that is hard to match. It's just not as versatile as all those other amps. But the one thing it does, is amazing.

The amps you mention were on my short list for a time, but completely fell off once I got my Headfirst Alta & Ground Zero Hellion. They even killed my GAS for a Wizard. Both of these to my ears destroys anything you can pick up at the music store. I couldn't recommend them more. Bonus that Jason/Headfirst (Burger) and Jeremy/GZ (Red Plated) are active members here.
PM me if you want to know more about either one.

At $5800 for 50 watts its just a bit much. Not saying it's not worth it.
The price is very high for sure, but any other amp I’ve come across that I like as much is just as pricy or more (Mark IIC+, Rev C, the right Hermansson, etc). It is a more unforgiving amp, so I don’t know for sure if you’d love it or not, but it’s in my top 4

Last edited:
SLO is legendary for its lead tone, but far different from the Bogners. The Ultra sounds like an amp that can nail many different tones; I'd maybe pick that one since you have 2 Bogners on the list. But the SLO has a rich/3d thing that is hard to match. It's just not as versatile as all those other amps. But the one thing it does, is amazing.
SLO would be my pick of what’s listed. I feel in some ways they can be like a more open, brighter/cutting Bogner, especially vs the XTC’s I had. Both are on smoother side of the spectrum, saturated/more liquid leaning and in a way prettier sounding in character vs some other amps being more rude/rough around the edges

The Uber Ultra is super modern, filtered with that cardboardy character many modern amps like omega, KSR and driftwood have. I liked that it was similarly big and powerful sounding to my OG Uber and also more cutting and tighter than the OG, but the quality of tone itself I wouldn’t really imho consider great (not rich or organic)

A Naylor or Mark series amp may also be worth considering

The Uber Ultra I had was capable of a low end as big or bigger even than I think most versions (maybe not as much low mids though), but Recto’s (especially earlier ones) are more raw/rough around the edges with a different type of growl/grit and a more rude American character vs the Uber’s getting just as brutal in a more European, more refined way. They have overlap, but are different enough where I have a Recto and Uber as keepers

The Ultra though for my taste was too filtered and clinical/lacking tonal richness

The Friedman would be the most similar to your Yeti (I used to have the 100 watt version, and have played the BE100). It's something of a dark Jose modded Marshall tone.

Soldano SLO is a bit of a legendary one trick pony. It's got a thick and smooth overdrive, a great crunch, and pretty bland cleans. You'd have to pick between crunch and clean and then compromise with the overdrive tone since it's got shared EQ. The loop on the original LA/Seattle amps doesn't play well will some effects. I love the Soldano tone and currently have an X88R preamp to scratch that itch, but I think they're a bit hard to justify at current prices.

The Uberschall has a big low end but less rough gain structure than a Rectifier. It's like a Mesa-meets-modded-Marshall thing. Certainly the most modern of the amps you're considering, especially the Ultra.

Haven't played an Ecstasy so can't really comment on it. It's also a dark amp though.

The Friedman would be the most similar to your Yeti (I used to have the 100 watt version, and have played the BE100). It's something of a dark Jose modded Marshall tone.

Soldano SLO is a bit of a legendary one trick pony. It's got a thick and smooth overdrive, a great crunch, and pretty bland cleans. You'd have to pick between crunch and clean and then compromise with the overdrive tone since it's got shared EQ. The loop on the original LA/Seattle amps doesn't play well will some effects. I love the Soldano tone and currently have an X88R preamp to scratch that itch, but I think they're a bit hard to justify at current prices.

The Uberschall has a big low end but less rough gain structure than a Rectifier. It's like a Mesa-meets-modded-Marshall thing. Certainly the most modern of the amps you're considering, especially the Ultra.

Haven't played an Ecstasy so can't really comment on it. It's also a dark amp though.
One of the things I like about the BE100 is the fact that it seems to add girth ti the Mod’d Marshall tone. Really versatile amp it seems but the Ecstasy might give that little bit of something different. Both Bogners are out front right now….as things stand in my brain this hour.

The Uber Ultra I had was capable of a low end as big or bigger even than I think most versions (maybe not as much low mids though), but Recto’s (especially earlier ones) are more raw/rough around the edges with a different type of growl/grit and a more rude American character vs the Uber’s getting just as brutal in a more European, more refined way. They have overlap, but are different enough where I have a Recto and Uber as keepers

The Ultra though for my taste was too filtered and clinical/lacking tonal richness
Thanks for the input. Hearing you on the Uber bit I fear its the itch I’ll need to scratch.

I own a 90’s 101B and it’s anything but dark. You have to turn the knobs with your eyes closed as they are funky to set up. In terms of versatility, the XTC 101B is by far the most well rounded in your list. There’s nothing that amp can’t do.

The Uber ultra has an odd frequency response I personally don’t like and I love my 101B. There’s a very specific narrowband mid hump that can’t be dialed out, doesn’t help cut in a mix where it’s sitting, and overall just aggravating. Clinical is a good way of putting how that amps tone is as dialed in - it’s very specific. I hear Helios overlap with it. It’s an amp you’d have to buy to try which if you’re unsure you like bogners at all could be a lot of hassle. YMMV.

Another amp on your list you should consider is the 5150 IIIS 50W for its size, versatility, and capability. The 50W is no slouch and easier to carry around but if you want the 100W go for it.

And last but not least is the 5150 Iconic 80W head. Same as above. It’s no slouch and sounds great. A bit thin but voiced more Marshall like.

Last edited:
SLO would be my pick of what’s listed. I feel in some ways they can be like a more open, brighter/cutting Bogner, especially vs the XTC’s I had. Both are on smoother side of the spectrum, saturated/more liquid leaning and in a way prettier sounding in character vs some other amps being more rude/rough around the edges

The Uber Ultra is super modern, filtered with that cardboardy character many modern amps like omega, KSR and driftwood have. I liked that it was similarly big and powerful sounding to my OG Uber and also more cutting and tighter than the OG, but the quality of tone itself I wouldn’t really imho consider great (not rich or organic)

A Naylor or Mark series amp may also be worth considering
Cardboady character. I love your descriptions.

I own a 90’s 101B and it’s anything but dark. You have to turn the knobs with your eyes closed as they are funky to set up. In terms of versatility, the XTC 101B is by far the most well rounded in your list. There’s nothing that amp can’t do.

The Uber ultra has an odd frequency response I personally don’t like and I love my 101B. There’s a very specific narrowband mid hump that can’t be dialed out, doesn’t help cut in a mix where it’s sitting, and overall just aggravating. Clinical is a good way of putting how that amps tone is as dialed in - it’s very specific. I hear Helios overlap with it. It’s an amp you’d have to buy to try which if you’re unsure you like bogners at all could be a lot of hassle. YMMV.

Another amp on your list you should consider is the 5150 IIIS 50W for its size, versatility, and capability. The 50W is no slouch and easier to carry around but if you want the 100W go for it.

And last but not least is the 5150 Iconic 80W head. Same as above. It’s no slouch and sounds great. A bit thin but voiced more Marshall like.

Man the Ecstasy seems like the smart play for a first Acquistion. I hear you on the Ultra. This not being a need issue...I really want to try it for myself. Not sure if it'll be first but will probably make its way into the rotation at some point...and maybe out as well.

I am somewhat intrigued by the 5150 IIIS and the Iconic. Might pick one up eventually as there are always good deals on them popping up locally on FB marketplace etc.

Really appreciate your input. Thanks.

Back