Johan Segeborn tests 15 Greenback Clones and Reissues Compared to an Original 1968!

I think this test fails because the original 68 speaker has a repair... a big fat repair.

That said, too bad he didnt use a 6402 cone greenback from the 1990's.
First, I do appreciate Johan's vids. He does a great job comparing vintage Marshalls/Celestions.

But, If I'm gonna compare a Pulsonic cone to any reissue I'm gonna grab the original and best version, the 1966-67 M20 with the paper coils. Those are the king of the Celestion GB heap.

I've watched enough comparisons between different instrument mics and videos in which SM57 is compared to other mics to be certain that it's a harsh mic. But you're entitled to think that I'm wrong and keep recording shitty guitar tones. 😚

Let's hear some of your awesome guitar tones (sans 57 of course) then

I'm actually curious, since Medic and I have both engineered in actual studios for actual recordings, and our recordings are all over this site

If you've somehow figured out something literally EVERYONE in the industry hasn't, let's hear what the fruits of your intellectual labor are? And I'm not trying to be a dick, I actually want to know if there's some magic sauce you've found

Ohhhhhhhh…..well since you’ve..”watched comparisons”….got it.

I'm assuming he's done more than watched comparisons, which is why I asked for some clips - i'm not just doing it to be a jerk

If his big secret is a sennheiser e906 or e609 (which are basically 57s) obviously this is all a big joke

But shit, maybe he IS onto something with some weird mic, or combo of them - I've heard people get huge sounds with 421s, ribbons and sm7s and all sorts of weird shit, weirder things have happened

Cone is repaired as well. I guarantee this repair affects the sound of the speaker.

View attachment 310626
View attachment 310629
If it is reconed then yeah obviously we aren't listening to a 1968 Original Pulsonic coned greenback. Johan shows a 1777 number on the back side of the surround which appears as era correct.

I thought it was still a good comparison review regardless. Those Mojotone M and H speakers are impressive considering the prices versus the Heritage prices. I still like my Heritages but if I had another 4x12 to fill I think I would try the Mojotones. I wonder who is actually building them for Mojotone, I didn't find anything online about it.

I found this chart online....it looks like a 68 could have a 1777 number.

https://www.bygonetones.com/vintage-celestion-guitar-speaker-cones.html

75Hz Pulsonic Stamps55Hz Pulsonic Stamps
H1777 or **/H1777mid 1962 to 1966SP444 or **/SP4441966 to 1967
003 or **/003mid 1966014 or **/014mid 1966
**/102/003mid 1962 to 1967**/102/0141966 to 1967
** 102 003mid 1962 to Apr 1971** 102 0141966 to Apr 1971
102/3 or 102 3Apr 1971 to Apr 1973102/14 or 102 14Apr 1971 to Apr 1973
3Feb 1973 to Apr 1974141972 to Apr 1973
1777Feb 1973 to Apr 19744Apr 1973 to Apr 1975
1777 (large rib)Aug 1974 to Apr 1975102/30Apr 1971 to Apr 1973
5Apr 1973 to Apr 1974
.0444 (large rib)Aug 1974 to Apr 1975
'**' = a variable two digit number said to represent the week of the year the cone was made
Note - dates shown are for very rough guidance only - expect transitional overlaps.

You would think Johan would know this before calling it original.......:dunno:

Last edited:
Looking forward to Tonedig Jr’s next reply

Well I mean, maybe he's figured out some weird mic setup that's actually badass and tames some of the unlovely or difficult things about 57s that everyone tries to make workarounds for

Fredman figured out the 55 degree angle thing, which people thought was bullshit in the 90s before they actually tried it

Then people did the phase math and it made sense

Well I mean, maybe he's figured out some weird mic setup that's actually badass and tames some of the unlovely or difficult things about 57s that everyone tries to make workarounds for

Fredman figured out the 55 degree angle thing, which people thought was bullshit in the 90s before they actually tried it

I have beat this to shit over the years but I really like this mic for SM57 applications. Not saying it's better, just a little different.
IMG_4309.jpeg

True but even still, people were doing something similar to the fredman long before that. VH1 was basically a fredman setup with 2 uni 57s.3

Let's hear some of your awesome guitar tones (sans 57 of course) then

I'm actually curious, since Medic and I have both engineered in actual studios for actual recordings, and our recordings are all over this site

If you've somehow figured out something literally EVERYONE in the industry hasn't, let's hear what the fruits of your intellectual labor are? And I'm not trying to be a dick, I actually want to know if there's some magic sauce you've found
You're not going to hear anything back because he's some novice home recordist that once stuck a counterfeit SM57 in front of a shitty Line 6 amp (dead center of the speaker) and now he's too busy revolutionizing the music industry to post his results.

True but even still, people were doing something similar to the fredman long before that. VH1 was basically a fredman setup with 2 uni 57s.3

100% true, but I mean, when everyone first heard those In Flames records no one believed it was "just a couple of 57s" or whatever - they assumed it was some crazy half a dozen mic phase corrected setup with U87s and unicorn cum

The interesting part is 57s (or their derivatives like the e609 or audix I5 et al) being fucking UBIQUITOUS through the tape days well into the present

If the gruggmeister has figured some new thing out, I honestly wanna try it - or at least simulate it with IRs as proof of concept

You're not going to hear anything back because he's some novice home recordist that once stuck a counterfeit SM57 in front of a shitty Line 6 amp (dead center of the speaker) and now he's too busy revolutionizing the music industry to post his results.

We're trying to catch flies with honey here, SIR :ROFLMAO:

100% true, but I mean, when everyone first heard those In Flames records no one believed it was "just a couple of 57s" or whatever - they assumed it was some crazy half a dozen mic phase corrected setup with U87s and unicorn cum

The interesting part is 57s (or their derivatives like the e609 or audix I5 et al) being fucking UBIQUITOUS through the tape days well into the present

If the gruggmeister has figured some new thing out, I honestly wanna try it - or at least simulate it with IRs as proof of concept

We're trying to catch flies with honey here, SIR :ROFLMAO:

You know as well as I do the ones that are the loudest here NEVER put their money where their mouth is ;)

Starting in the 80’s with a Tascam 4 track, then spending alot of time with a Tascam 1/2” 8 track / 1/4” 2 track setup a friend had, never found it to be bright. With bouncing we needed to add high end. We used 57’s, all we had. Always liked how the drums and cymbals sounded on tape.

When we went to studios that had Studer 24 track machines I don’t remember them being bright either. I do find that digital is brighter to work with than I remember tape being. Not that that is a plus or minus.
When I mic, still using 57’s mostly…took awhile to get where I am happy with them. Like anything I suppose.

You know as well as I do the ones that are the loudest here NEVER put their money where their mouth is ;)

Well, especially for something THIS universal - if someone's figured out a new way to skin a cat, i'm all fuckin ears

I STILL use your recommended HPF shelf settings, i worked out a version of it on the omni strip

I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, I guess

But the 57 is the industry standard for a reason - it's what the listener expects to hear when they listen to guitar based music

Medic, and I, and literally every other person who has worked in an actual studio for actual money will continue to use 57s and get awesome results

Call me crazy but despite all my 57's, I have started really liking the Audix i5. It is the winner on snare for me. Slightly ever so slightly less fizzy than the 57, a bit more focused and clear. I just broke a 57 somehow and I'm going to replace with another Audix.

Well, especially for something THIS universal - if someone's figured out a new way to skin a cat, i'm all fuckin ears

I STILL use your recommended HPF shelf settings, i worked out a version of it on the omni strip

Oh! The ole boosting above the LPF frequency? Yea that’s a good one, I love that one. On a neve eq or an SSL It can just sound super great , really good trick.

Call me crazy but despite all my 57's, I have started really liking the Audix i5. It is the winner on snare for me. Slightly ever so slightly less fizzy than the 57, a bit more focused and clear. I just broke a 57 somehow and I'm going to replace with another Audix.

I love the I5 as an alternative to the 57, but it remains, much like the e609 and all those, a variation of the 57

Oh! The ole boosting above the LPF frequency? Yea that’s a good one, I love that one. On a neve eq or an SSL It can just sound super great , really good trick.

I worked out a version of it on my scheps channel strip with a couple tweaks and additions (multiband compression at 80hz because i'm always in standard tuning) but it's one of my go-tos as far as post on heavy guitars

Ironic coming from someone who insists on being correct on something he was being corrected multiple times but hey, have at it.
The "counterfeit" or "broken SM57" argument from 57 fanbois are always hilarious. Also nice addition with the Line6, because anyone who doesn't use or like SM57 on guitars such as Michael Wagener must record with a shitty Line 6 amp. :jerkit:

Also showing your divine intellect by accusing me pointing one dead center of the speaker while I mentioned already in this thread how you need to set it closer to the edge of the cone to get a better sound of it.

Looking forward to Tonedig Jr’s next reply
Is this the best you can come up with after being told off?

Regardless, you absolute studio wizards claimed to have worked in the industry or in studios, because I'm sure you guys have made something big happen yourselves. The only problem here is that I've never heard none of that. 😐

Fucking megalomaniacs at it again.

Back