Johan Segeborn tests 15 Greenback Clones and Reissues Compared to an Original 1968!

But i'll rather piss on your face.

Speaker and mic matter way more than the amp in the signal chain. What i'm trying to say is that SM57 worked back in the day because tape mellowed highs a bit and helped to tame it down. The same is not the case with digital.
You said source. Speaker and amp are source. Not mics....Get the best sound from your amp and speaker setup,,the source..! Then ideally a great mic to duplicate that back. So now are you saying that source is great but the 57 making it harsh? Your logic doesnt make sense. Have you ever worked with tape? Like done any real recording time with tape or are you just going by what you've heard and read? Never had I had to EQ the top end because my machine wasnt giving me back what I put into it. Lots of reasons to Eq but that wasnt one of them.

You said source. Speaker and amp are source. Not mics....Get the best sound from your amp and speaker setup,,the source..! Then ideally a great mic to duplicate that back. So now are you saying that source is great but the 57 making it harsh? Your logic doesnt make sense. Have you ever worked with tape? Like done any real recording time with tape or are you just going by what you've heard and read? Never had I had to EQ the top end because my machine wasnt giving me back what I put into it. Lots of reasons to Eq but that wasnt one of them.
What I meant by source was to nail it without the need to fix it in the mix. Stop twisting my words fucktard.

If it is reconed then yeah obviously we aren't listening to a 1968 Original Pulsonic coned greenback. Johan shows a 1777 number on the back side of the surround which appears as era correct.

I thought it was still a good comparison review regardless. Those Mojotone M and H speakers are impressive considering the prices versus the Heritage prices. I still like my Heritages but if I had another 4x12 to fill I think I would try the Mojotones. I wonder who is actually building them for Mojotone, I didn't find anything online about it.

I found this chart online....it looks like a 68 could have a 1777 number.

https://www.bygonetones.com/vintage-celestion-guitar-speaker-cones.html

75Hz Pulsonic Stamps55Hz Pulsonic Stamps
H1777 or **/H1777mid 1962 to 1966SP444 or **/SP4441966 to 1967
003 or **/003mid 1966014 or **/014mid 1966
**/102/003mid 1962 to 1967**/102/0141966 to 1967
** 102 003mid 1962 to Apr 1971** 102 0141966 to Apr 1971
102/3 or 102 3Apr 1971 to Apr 1973102/14 or 102 14Apr 1971 to Apr 1973
3Feb 1973 to Apr 1974141972 to Apr 1973
1777Feb 1973 to Apr 19744Apr 1973 to Apr 1975
1777 (large rib)Aug 1974 to Apr 1975102/30Apr 1971 to Apr 1973
5Apr 1973 to Apr 1974
.0444 (large rib)Aug 1974 to Apr 1975
'**' = a variable two digit number said to represent the week of the year the cone was made
Note - dates shown are for very rough guidance only - expect transitional overlaps.

You would think Johan would know this before calling it original.......:dunno:
After looking harder at this chart a 1968 Pulsonic probably should have a 102 003 designation and not a 1777....says mid 1962 to April 1971 for the 102-003 stamp. Looks like the 1777 stamps stopped in 1966....so why Johan's 1968 has a 1777 on it supports Psychodave's statement that it probably is a recone maybe from 1973-1975.

Maybe Jim from Scumback can shed some light on whether or not Johan's 68 is original with a 1777 number on the surround back. If Celestion was anything like Marshall in these years it could have any kind of stamp.........:bash::LOL:

Last edited:
What I meant by source was to nail it without the need to fix it in the mix. Stop twisting my words fucktard.
Dude.. what are you 12?? I tried being civil with you but you cant even explain yourself without tripping over your words. Just another armchair quarterback.....
Oh.. and another thing kiddo... Eq'ing some top end here and there is by no means "fix in the mix". Just shows how fucking ignorant you are about how consoles also have their own unique sound. But I guess your recording experience has been on your laptop... in your bedroom....

Dude.. what are you 12?? I tried being civil with you but you cant even explain yourself without tripping over your words. Just another armchair quarterback.....
Oh.. and another thing kiddo... Eq'ing some top end here and there is by no means "fix in the mix". Just shows how fucking ignorant you are about how consoles also have their own unique sound. But I guess your recording experience has been on your laptop... in your bedroom....

RT can be a great place to learn gear and recording stuff from people with lots of experience - Even if you already have lots of experience - I certainly have.

I guess when you know everything about everything like Mr Michael Wagener over here, it's easy to get frustrated and pissy with us mere mortals

Knowing everything must get exhausting

I guess I'll try to find a Superlux PRA628, then fix it in the mix by adding the midrange that the 57 already has, and then my toan will be as good as Grugg and Michael Wagener

man, would ya look at that. Another rig talker who is full of shit, gets mad at everyone, and never actually makes recordings of his own stuff to show us what he’s talking about……here’s my shocked face…..

man, would ya look at that. Another rig talker who is full of shit, gets mad at everyone, and never actually makes recordings of his own stuff to show us what he’s talking about……here’s my shocked face…..

shocked.jpg

Let's hear his superlux 628 recordings and how much better they are than the 57 everyone uses

One of my friends has one, it's shaped like an e609 but with an ergonomic tip for easy insertion IIRC

Blow me you fucking troglodyte. Also wtf consoles having their own unique sound has to do with anything? Stop sucking on them XLR-cables they're not edible.
I'm not sure what's harsher. The SM57's tone or Gagonmanymen's language here.
If you'd stop drinking soy every day you wouldn't have to make a cartoony version out of yourself.
guess I'll try to find a Superlux PRA628, then fix it in the mix by adding the midrange that the 57 already has, and then my toan will be as good as Grugg and Michael Wagener
You need to add that midrange back to compensate for the fact that you can't see your dick over your belly?
You're spewing constatly how i'm not doing this and that. What have you done then? Ah yeah smelled your thumb after it was stuck in your ass for 2 weeks manchild.

Last edited:
Blow me you fucking troglodyte. Also wtf consoles having their own unique sound has to do with anything? Stop sucking on them XLR-cables they're not edible.

If you'd stop drinking soy every day you wouldn't have to make a cartoony version out of yourself.

You need to add that midrange back to compensate for the fact that you can't see your dick over your belly?

You're spewing constatly how i'm not doing this and that. What have you done then? Ah yeah smelled your thumb after it was stuck in your ass for 2 weeks manchild.

LMAO this is amazing. Look at this crybaby. Also, tape sucks, go read about what all the greats think about it.

@VESmedic Don't waste your time with this mama's boy who doesn't know anything.... Just tell him to go bang on his casio keyboard

LMAO this is amazing. Look at this crybaby. Also, tape sucks, go read about what all the greats think about it.
What about the stuff that you have done? Let's hear it! Also where the hell did I claim to like tape or analog in general? Where the hell these assumptions come from?
@VESmedic Don't waste your time with this mama's boy who doesn't know anything.... Just tell him to go bang on his casio keyboard
Casio Keyboard? I don't even play piano. Sounds like you own one and that was the only thing you could afford with your mcburger job.

You keep saying tape rolls off highs... Do you not understand that some consoles can also have that same effect you fucking idiot. Seriously... did you just blow in from Stupid town?

Guys can we dial it back a little bit? Enough with the insults and personal attacks. Keep it up and I'll report you dickheads to the mods.

LOL

You keep saying tape rolls off highs... Do you not understand that some consoles can also have that same effect you fucking idiot. Seriously... did you just blow in from Stupid town?
Yes, and..? Also never claimed that consoles don't have the same effect? You call me stupid while quoting me saying something that I did not. If you wouldn't munch on everything you happen to see on the table you would've developed a functioning brain already.

I just can't handle this stupidity. Can someone show me where I said that some consoles don't have the same effect than tape on higher frequencies? Where did I even mention anything about consoles? Also where did I claim that I specifically like tape, analog etc? These fucking assumptions. You idiots live in the US? Is it the opioids?

Yes, and..? Also never claimed that consoles don't have the same effect? You call me stupid while quoting me saying something that I did not. If you wouldn't munch on everything you happen to see on the table you would've developed a functioning brain already.
I said consoles have their own sound... and you ,I quote "wtf consoles having their own unique sound has to do with anything?". Your whole fucking argument is tape rolls off highs so you cant touch the EQ, but completely left out the fact that just about anything else AFTER THE SPEAKER cab can change the sound, be it highs ..etc. Stop pretending you've worked with this stuff and stop harassing the grown ups.

Back