JP2C

ClintN667

Anyone have a Mesa Mark IV and a JP2C? How do they compare? Since the Mark IV has went up in value I keep thinking about selling mine and getting a JP2C but I love my Mark IV and I'm always nervous that I would regret it but I can only do one or the other. I've read some things where people say they prefer the Mark IV over the JP2C and I've heard it the other way around.

Just interested if anyone has been able to compare them and how close they are or whether it would be an upgrade or downgrade

Owned the JP for a few months. I mean it gets "that" tone but after that
I found it a bit boring. Some of the extra gain options were unusable
cause they'd get into the 'high pitched squealing" zone too quickly.

For all of the knobs and sliders on the front it's a pretty plain amp.
Prefer both a III red and Mark V:25 to the JP.

Ah ok. I havent tried a Mark III or Mark V but Ive always heard the Mark V does a lot but it doesnt do anything the best. Part of me thinks I would like the extra gain and extra GEQ

I love the JP2C. I'm also quite fond of the Mark IV. I don't currently own the Mark IV any longer. Last year I had the Mark IV, 2 Mark III'S ( Black and Blue Stripes) a Mark V. I kept the JP2C.

For me the JP can get into the realm of the IV you can make it dark or cutting it is really capable of shaping the tone to anyway you like it. Sounds outstanding in a band mix too. I set Channel 2 for a fat thick rythym AIC.... And channel 3 to bite your head off. The clean channel is quite remarkable too.

Owned the JP for a few months. I mean it gets "that" tone but after that
I found it a bit boring. Some of the extra gain options were unusable
cause they'd get into the 'high pitched squealing" zone too quickly.

For all of the knobs and sliders on the front it's a pretty plain amp.
Prefer both a III red and Mark V:25 to the JP.
It doesn’t really get ‘that’ tone if you’re after what a C+ does. It’s like an imitation of one…without the true tonal character of a C+. If that makes sense. I’ve played both a JP and a IV…the IV did a better C+ imitation imo.

I've owned a Mark IV and now own a JP2C.

The features for me that make the JP2C stand out slightly more are the 2 graphic EQ's, and shred mode for when I'm using a downtuned guitars or need a tighter boosted sound. Both amps sounds awesome.

Last edited:
I owned both when the JP2C first came out. I sold the IV quickly after buying the JP2C, but found out that I liked the lead on the IV more, both in tone and feel, especially at low volumes. Loud, it was debatable, but the JP2C sounds more huge. I ended up selling the JP2C also, and now own a IV again. But I must say, the other stuff that the JP2C has, like MIDI, etc, makes it a better buy IMO. I'm GASing for a JP2C again too 😅.

I owned both when the JP2C first came out. I sold the IV quickly after buying the JP2C, but found out that I liked the lead on the IV more, both in tone and feel, especially at low volumes. Loud, it was debatable, but the JP2C sounds more huge. I ended up selling the JP2C also, and now own a IV again. But I must say, the other stuff that the JP2C has, like MIDI, etc, makes it a better buy IMO. I'm GASing for a JP2C again too 😅.
Yeah I have been G.A.S.'n for one lately and then Ola's vid this morning didnt help. If Im being honest with myself I will probably never sell my Mark IV. I love that amp and to lose that tone would really hurt.

I need to quit watching gear demos. I have a KSR Ares and a Monomyth Skeleton Key on order. My G.A.S for amps is at an all time low but the JP2C is still on the list of amps I want to try.

Yeah I have been G.A.S.'n for one lately and then Ola's vid this morning didnt help. If Im being honest with myself I will probably never sell my Mark IV. I love that amp and to lose that tone would really hurt.

I need to quit watching gear demos. I have a KSR Ares and a Monomyth Skeleton Key on order. My G.A.S for amps is at an all time low but the JP2C is still on the list of amps I want to try.
Well If you can afford the gear, just go for it. I'd never sell this IV. It's my 4th already, and everytime I regret selling them. The only way I could see myself selling it is if by any chance I need a little extra money to buy a IIC+ DRG when the chance presents itself.

So I'd tell you to buy the JP2C and keep the IV at least until you have them side by side. And if you can keep both, better.

The Mark IV has been one of my all time favorite amps, I have owned at least 7-8 over the years. I Bought a JP2C and ended up selling my Mark IV because I thought the JP2C would be everything I wanted and more. After 3 months I sold the JP2C (it just never seemed right to me). Some time passes I bought another Mark IV and decided to give the JP2C another go (also sold it again after 2 months).

I definitely like the Mark IV lead channel way better then the JP2C and I think the Mark IV has a lot more punch. I do like the midi, reverb and clean for the JP2C but for me the Mark IV is the better amp. I was left disappointed with the JP2C for the second time. I have come to realize that I stopped liking the voicing of mesa boogie's amps from the Mark V on.

Don't sell the Mark IV to get a JP2C. Keep it and spend the time with both amps to make sure the JP2C is going to work for you and then make your decision, Clean Mark IV's are becoming harder and harder to come by. The last few I had to put some money into them to get them working proper which is to be expected with a 15 plus year old amp.

If anyone is selling a 2c+ please message me. I have had all the other mark series but not that one . Curious even if it kills the cat lol. I still have a mk3 green strip but . Idk just want one to know

MkIII blows away Mark V and Jp2c tone wise. Had multiples of each (2 Black dot IIIs). If you don't need on the fly tone changes or channel changing. I would take the mark V25 over either of the 2.

I had a JP2C when they first came out. Had a friend get a few through artist relations so I paid $1,680 for it. It was really cool, but at the time I have multiple 2C++ amps, Mark 3's, etc so the JP2C just wasnt there for me. I did think the amp sounded good and when I stuck in a cocktail of STR 415's and Chinese C8 preamp tubes, it really woke up the amp. There shred switch on the JP2C sounds horrible. :LOL:

I had a JP2C when they first came out. Had a friend get a few through artist relations so I paid $1,680 for it. It was really cool, but at the time I have multiple 2C++ amps, Mark 3's, etc so the JP2C just wasnt there for me. I did think the amp sounded good and when I stuck in a cocktail of STR 415's and Chinese C8 preamp tubes, it really woke up the amp. There shred switch on the JP2C sounds horrible. :LOL:
You have one to sell ? 2c+? Lol 😆 been looking

I do not own a JP2C (but have played through a couple), but I do own a IIC+/+ and a IV. I think the JP2C is a really fun amp and sounds good. The used market was beginning to become more reasonable on them before the last year and a half then it went to shit. I love my IV but it is way different than the JP2C--the feel is different, the compression level between the amps is different (with the IV being more compressed to my ear), and the voicing is fairly different to me (this is the biggest one). I think they both sound good but it depends on what tones you want? Lamb of God? Dream Theater?

Back