JP2C

I own a bunch of Mark series amps... and I really like the JP2C. Compared specifically to the MK4... I prefer the JP2C. It is based on JPs MK2C++ HRG.

It does sound different from a MK2C++ HRG (of which I have 2)... but you can hear the heritage.

I had a JP2C when they first came out. Had a friend get a few through artist relations so I paid $1,680 for it. It was really cool, but at the time I have multiple 2C++ amps, Mark 3's, etc so the JP2C just wasnt there for me. I did think the amp sounded good and when I stuck in a cocktail of STR 415's and Chinese C8 preamp tubes, it really woke up the amp. There shred switch on the JP2C sounds horrible. :LOL:
I actually liked Shred Mode, but never used it. The thing is that I needed very different settings with it on to sound awesome, so I never used it. To me it was designed to set the amp normally for a 6 string, and engage Shred Mode to chug on a 7 without changing settings. I don't play 7 string guitars though.

I own a bunch of Mark series amps... and I really like the JP2C. Compared specifically to the MK4... I prefer the JP2C. It is based on JPs MK2C++ HRG.

It does sound different from a MK2C++ HRG (of which I have 2)... but you can hear the heritage.
If you ever sell one lmk . I’ve never had a want for an amp so bad lol fr

Didn't the real OG C+'s run EL34s and 6L6s in Simul-Class?? Wasn't that part of the sound??

I remember WAY back in the day, the local music store had 2-112 cabs setup with a Boogie power amp and maybe a Studio Pre, and I can remember my young ears clearly hearing the different vibe when the Simul kicked in...

I've owned 2 Mark IVs and spent a lot of time with a JP2C. I currently have 2 IIC+'s and a JP2C on order with Mesa (seems like it'll never get finished).

I miss having a Mark IV for the versatility. It can nail any tone you want from cleans, classic rock, hair metal to death metal. I wish I never sold mine. I used a JP2C very closely the past couple years and it's an insane amp, has more features than most of us will use. The thing I like the most about it is it gets grindier, gainer and tighter than the Mark IV. For a death metal dude like me it's perfect. The main reason I ordered one was the 2 independent EQs and the independent reverb per channel. As far as it being like a IIC+, it's close. It has a lot more gain. Nothing matches the "in the room" feel/sound of a IIC+ though..

All that being said, Mesa is going back to Schumacher Transformers which are what was in the original IIC+. If you are looking to get a JP2C it's not worth paying the price gouging prices now when you'll be able to get one in the near future with the old school style transformers. I placed my JP2C order in December 2020 and I'm equally bummed and stoked it's delayed. No doubt the "new" JP2C's are going to be sick. Don't sell your Mark IV.

Owned all of them at once. Mark IIC+, C++, IVa, IVb, JP2C, III, V25, V. in that order of liking. I sold them because I didn't play them much.

The Boogie Quad preamp is my thing, it combines the best of everything Boogie Mark into one unit and it sounds the best to my ears.

Didn't the real OG C+'s run EL34s and 6L6s in Simul-Class?? Wasn't that part of the sound??

I remember WAY back in the day, the local music store had 2-112 cabs setup with a Boogie power amp and maybe a Studio Pre, and I can remember my young ears clearly hearing the different vibe when the Simul kicked in...

The DRG variety did use 6L6GCs + EL34s... where D = DualClass aka Simul-Class

The HRG and KRG used all 4 6L6GCs or 6 6L6GCs. H = 100W or K = Coliseum 150W

The HRG & KRG varieties give a tighter bass faster attack, and simply a more crushing sound for metal. The DRG has a looser, more spongy, squishy feel. Richer clean sound. The country, blues, and jazz guys love these. They can do metal... but the HRG & KRG do it better.

There are also more sub-varieties within these broad divisions, such as different PTs, mods, tweaks etc.

The DRG variety did use 6L6GCs + EL34s... where D = DualClass aka Simul-Class

The HRG and KRG used all 4 6L6GCs or 6 6L6GCs. H = 100W or K = Coliseum 150W

The HRG & KRG varieties give a tighter bass faster attack, and simply a more crushing sound for metal. The DRG has a looser, more spongy, squishy feel. Richer clean sound. The country, blues, and jazz guys love these. They can do metal... but the HRG & KRG do it better.

There are also more sub-varieties within these broad divisions, such as different PTs, mods, tweaks etc.
My MIII++ KDRG is on it’s way to Mesa to become a KRG. :rock:

My MIII++ KDRG is on it’s way to Mesa to become a KRG. :rock:

django-unchained-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

Do not sell your IV for a JP2C. Save up and grab it. Then compare. Sold my JP2C to go back to a IV and if they ever tweak the JP a bit I might grab one again. It’s a pretty noisy amp and the shred mode just adds more of it.

I sold my IV after owning it for 7 years, and it’s one of two amps I regret selling. I’ve owned 3 JP-2Cs, and never kept one for more than 4 months. If I could only have one, it’d be the IV in a heartbeat.

I had a Black Dot III with the 105 PT I sent to Mike for the ++ mod. It had a massive bootprint. It made my brand new JPC and Mark IIC++ sound small although the C++ had a great feel and tone. I sold the JP right away. I don't know if it was the PT but that amp was massive sounding. I only sold it because a guy in Italy offered me $1700. Wish I kept it.

I think folks are too quick to write off the baby of the Mark family but these little guys are pretty freaking amazing.

I had one(mark 25) didn't like . I think it was the el84's. I'm thinking about getting another one now that I have a fryette power station .

Yeah the temptation of getting a jp2c to replace my Mark iv are gone and now I want a 2c+ after this conversation. ;)

Here is a serious question though. Why can't Mesa reissue the 2c+ and get it right? I don't believe that certain capacitors or transformers had some super special secret sauce that would prevent them from ever being reproduced ever again.

Especially since Gibson is backing them now it would be nice to see a new Mark series or a proper reissue.

What is that?
I added the V2 volume mod to mine. Is that a single (+)????
It was an early Mark III Black dot where they had some of the 105 PT's left they used. Mike B did the ++ mod to it. Black stripe was next then the other stripes , purple, red, blue, green.

Yeah the temptation of getting a jp2c to replace my Mark iv are gone and now I want a 2c+ after this conversation. ;)

Here is a serious question though. Why can't Mesa reissue the 2c+ and get it right? I don't believe that certain capacitors or transformers had some super special secret sauce that would prevent them from ever being reproduced ever again.

Especially since Gibson is backing them now it would be nice to see a new Mark series or a proper reissue.
They are unable to reproduce the 105 as some materials are no longer available. Also would be tough to find consistent tubes on a large scale that would survive the plate voltage. New tubes aren't getting better unfortunately.

Back