JP2C

Well, Metallica used DG’s and DRG’s, so I think they can do metal pretty well 😏

a05649a753cc44a932f38b3e8cccc3e4.jpg

Z0YZiwiKTE5vJW3k-vQtGK-VKLftnKKAg2Il_IVQV1qnFSOtmNennvoJvxGTcdyLAk68nlmfYShn-gwXwsURwuCGbG357DqWH8R_D4d8q9UjKIrncfUm2V_u_joaNQfB9S41KZ8ZOwHertdqdD9Xwj20VWJvdDPbYD0

I don’t know what you mean by that. But that’s what Mike B told me. And Hetfield himself has referred to his IIC+ as simulclass.

We already know this.

I have several HRG, DRG, and KRG MK2C++ heads. So I have played them all... and do not need to rely on some 4th hand info. But you do you.

We already know this.

I have several HRG, DRG, and KRG MK2C++ heads. So I have played them all... and do not need to rely on some 4th hand info. But you do you.
I guess we hear different things. I have a C++ KDRG, C++ DRG, had a C++ HRG earlier. And currently have another HRG at Mesa waiting to be ++ modded. To me the simuls sound a lot more Metallica. That’s with all 6L6’s and a parametric EQ in the loop.

I guess we hear different things. I have a C++ KDRG, C++ DRG, had a C++ HRG earlier. And currently have another HRG at Mesa waiting to be ++ modded. To me the simuls sound a lot more Metallica. That’s with all 6L6’s and a parametric EQ in the loop.

All the DRG models DualClass/SimulClass have less wattage, a softer, spongier feel and slower attack. But maybe some like that?
Hetfield ran the preamp out to a higher wattage power amp in order to achieve a tighter, firmer, more responsive sound and note attack.

Head to head... the DRG amps do not hold together and stay as tight as the HRG/KRG models at high volumes.

Ergo... the DRG = Metallica sound argument is moot.

All the DRG models DualClass/SimulClass have less wattage, a softer, spongier feel and slower attack. But maybe some like that?
Hetfield ran the preamp out to a higher wattage power amp in order to achieve a tighter, firmer, more responsive sound and note attack.

Ergo... the DRG = Metallica sound argument is moot.
Not necessarily. MoP was all IIC+ power amp. The Strategy 400 they used on later albums may or may not be simul, who knows. Some of the early ones were simuls.

Well… I owned 2 MK IV’s before. Loved the clean and lead channels but, was alway disappointed with the middle channel. I have a JP2C now and like the wide range of gain available from both of the dirty channels. Definitely like it more than a V! I will say with the JP2C’s complexity, it really takes time to dial in that last 10-15% of tone. MK IV is faster to get there. JP2C doesn’t have me looking for a boost pedal for dirty rhythm which was the reason I never kept the IV’s.

I’ve never played a JP2C. But I think it would have been cool if there were a SimulClass option.
This guy pairs it with a SimulClass power amp and to me it sounds better.

Everyone has their own opinion, which is good and right. Mine, as a former 7 year Mark IV owner, would be a vote for JP2c. Actually, my preference would be a III or 2C+. I have had both and C+ really is a cut above

The one thing that made me sell my Mark IV is that I could never hear a difference in tone/brightness when strumming lead chords away from and closer to the bridge. Same tone.

You take any guitar and strum near the bridge and it gets tinnier sounding. With the IV it would not. Mark 2C+ (immediate successor to the IV in my Arsenal) did not have that problem with the exact same cab.

The IV gets a lot of praise and is a great amp, but the 2C+ is better in every way. So go JP2C.

A lot of garbage in this thread. People need to fact check bf regurgitating incorrect history. Typical of today's standard operating procedures.

Heads up, Mesa got back to me on a JP2C I've had on order since December. They just received the new Schumacher transformers last week and are finishing building their back catalog of custom orders and dealer orders. We'll see if the "new" JP2C is just as good or better than the "old" JP2C. My hopes are it slays. :ROFLMAO:

I have 3 original C+ DRG amps. One of them(early 1985) has not had service by Mike B. I thought of having the ++ mod done to it. I'm afraid that it will lose the MOJO, that it has, as it stands.

Back