Just chipped my favorite guitar.

if you were talking about a 59 LP…. Legit beef I guess?
This is a non-starter as far as getting emotionally invested for me on any guitar.
They are meant to be played and enjoyed. If something happens along the way, that’s part of the deal. Not a problem. Just my opinion.

Just posting because the guitar is a 2005 not a dent and I chipped it just moving it ughhh this year suuuccckkkksss
Sorry for your loss....

If it makes you feel any better...I had a flawless CC #29 > Wildwood R8 delivered, opened the box, promptly pulled out my R7 to compare, tripped and knocked the two guitars together. The bridge on the R7 took a chunk out of the side of the new guitar. We're talking 5 minutes after it was delivered, hadn't even played it or plugged it in. Pissed doesn't begin to describe my feelings....its still the best playing and looking Les Paul I've ever encountered, but damn every time I see that :ROFLMAO::mad::ROFLMAO: I'll get it repaired eventually....

Sucks. I only hate dings in that I know I “may” sell it one day and it hurts the value. But otherwise I don’t mind. I don’t mind buying a dinged up guitar either.

You could always put some duct tape over the ding for added character :cool:
I sorta did that once with some silver racing strips. I bought a Jackson USA soloist off Craigslist for peanuts that was busted. Someone had dropped it face down on concrete and the volume and tone knobs busted the wood down into the control cavity. I sanded it down a bit and then used a bunch of wood glue, sanded that and then used racing strips to cover it. It actually came out pretty badass looking.

The guitar I write the best tunes on has several chips/dents/scratches. I would never consider reselling it so I'm not bummed out by any superficial damage.

I had a V come off the hanger straight down on the wings.

Moral of the story is find a luthier who is great and you won't even notice the difference.

Your guitar now has character.

It happens. Again this is the reason to find the best luthier you can.

Also when you do you keep going back to them to set up or sort out your guitar properly.

They can turn Epiphones into near Gibson quality guitars.
Thanks for making me terrified of that happening!

Thanks for making me terrified of that happening!
I learned that things happen to everyone eventually and not to get too cut up over blemishes as long as the integrity of the guitar isn't out of whack and that a good luthier really can make it even better than it was before. Just look at some restored gear. There are examples of gear with busted headstocks and the fix is even stronger and unnoticeable.

I bought a 1988 MIJ charvel many many years ago with a chunk missing from the input Jack area. Philb has played it. Ironically it’s one of the few guitars I still own from that time period of when I played out - it’s got character and mojo and is a bunch of parts. Overall it’s nothing that bothers me and that guitar speaks to me.

If you can repair it cool - if not it will sting less over time. Play the damn thing and enjoy it - it’s meant to make noise just as much after the imperfection than before. If anything it’s added security as it’s an easy identifier should something ever happen to it.

I bought a 1988 MIJ charvel many many years ago with a chunk missing from the input Jack area. Philb has played it. Ironically it’s one of the few guitars I still own from that time period of when I played out - it’s got character and mojo and is a bunch of parts. Overall it’s nothing that bothers me and that guitar speaks to me.

If you can repair it cool - if not it will sting less over time. Play the damn thing and enjoy it - it’s meant to make noise just as much after the imperfection than before. If anything it’s added security as it’s an easy identifier should something ever happen to it.
Yep...I’m 10 gigs deep into the Les Paul I mentioned above....they’re meant to played.

I think I might have the wildest chipped guitar story ever.

That big chip on the bottom edge of my Hamer USA Californian was caused by a truck. Was having band practice in my buddy's lil portable metal building, and we took a break. Set the guitar down on top of my amp and went outside. Drummer leaned up against the back of his Chevy S10....and the parking brake was not engaged. Long story short, it started rolling forward down a small hill and slammed in to the building. My guitar flipped off the amp and got chipped :LOL:

Our other guitarist was inside the building the entire time - when we opened the door to assess the damage, dude's eyes were the size of dinner plates and he was wondering WTF just happened :LOL:

Q43NIGP.jpeg

This thread reminds me when an a former bandmate I had blew his shit when he chipped his road worn strat. I was like dude, you added your own personal relic-ing to it now...be proud! LOL what a dolt...

Back