Just got a XTC and I've got questions...

Gtar_Plr

Hey everybody, I just got a XTC and matching cab. I've read that it'll take a while to tune in the amp to the players taste.
This doesn't help my need for instant satisfaction!!! :doh: :D
What I noticed is on the Blue and Red gain settings. I don't even have my guitar plugged in yet and I'm getting some feedback howling. Plus I can tap the top of the head or any of the knobs with my finger and I can hear it come out of my cab. It's like a live mic or something. Doesn't happen on the Clean though.
It goes away with lowering the gain or the volume for Blue or Red, but WTF???
The guitars not even plugged in yet?
Could it be a bad tube?

Gtar_Plr":1a0lzz41 said:
Hey everybody, I just got a XTC and matching cab. I've read that it'll take a while to tune in the amp to the players taste.
This doesn't help my need for instant satisfaction!!! :doh: :D
What I noticed is on the Blue and Red gain settings. I don't even have my guitar plugged in yet and I'm getting some feedback howling. Plus I can tap the top of the head or any of the knobs with my finger and I can hear it come out of my cab. It's like a live mic or something. Doesn't happen on the Clean though.
It goes away with lowering the gain or the volume for Blue or Red, but WTF???
The guitars not even plugged in yet?
Could it be a bad tube?

Yes, bad preamp tube NOT a power tube problem.

Change pre amp tube '1' first to see if it's that tube because by all accounts it sure sounds like it. If it ain't that tube continue on to 2,3 & so on. It WILL be one of them and remotely possible two of them but I doubt it.

Let us know how you get on?

EcstasyTube.gif

Yep, that was it. Swapped it out and problem is gone.
As I was messing with it today, I now have further questions to ask who may know.

When NOT using the loop, I can have the Master volume on back set pretty low, and crank the channel volume pretty high. That gets the amp thinking it's got to work harder and producing some excellent tones. Almost like a Attenuator.

But, I put a delay in the loop now. I had to match the volume of the amp without the loop engaged vs. when it is, with the Master Volume on the back. If I set the master at 2 o clock and engage the loop, I get a boost in volume plus delay, which is good for solos. If I lower the Master Volume on the back to about noon, it equals the volume I'm getting without having the Loop engaged. The only difference is that now I have a delay effect happening.

So how would I crank the channel volume thinking it's got to work harder without blowing my ears, AND have the delay on or off in the loop?

When using the loop, you have to have the rear master set to unity volume when the loop is on or off. So toggle the loop on and off while playing. I think my unity volume is around 10:00 - 11:00. It has a great master volume, so you really don't need to crank the channel volumes. I do always run mine at half power cause these things are loud.

@Gtar_Plr

Tragic that a response of gratitude for our help hasn't happened.

Next time f_uck off elsewhere.
:thumbsdown:

@WGAF,
Wow...
Anyway....thank you for the diagram. Sorry, but I don't get the chance to visit this site often.

Back