Just pocked up the evh phase 90..

ElectricVoodoo

I had it after my 5150 overdrive and it was overly active, too strong. When I put it before the OD, it sounds glorious.
Wondering how you guys prefer yours?
20210408_114913.jpg

I use a Whirlwind Orange Box (it's a Phase 90 clone built by a designer of the original), and I put it in front to get the EVH soloing sound (or even when I'm playing older classic rock and I want some texturing to my rhythm tone that's not too over the top). It sounds great in front of my 5150 OD as well.

I use a Whirlwind Orange Box (it's a Phase 90 clone built by a designer of the original), and I put it in front to get the EVH soloing sound (or even when I'm playing older classic rock and I want some texturing to my rhythm tone that's not too over the top). It sounds great in front of my 5150 OD as well.
Nice phaser. I use that on my smaller board and an EVH on larger board.

The Whirlwind is a tad more chewy than the MXR bunch and a little more pulse. Great pedal for guys wanting a Vibe flavor/sound without going the photo cell route and expense.

Good choice, OP.

And yep, I've always found that as far as modulation goes, any pitch-based mod effect (phaser, chorus, flanger, vibe, octave) sounds best in front of distortion. Putting those effects after gain makes them sound too obvious and cheesy imo.

And on the other side, volume-based effects like modern Tremolo and Swell sound better after distortion.

I have to admit, besides a delay and 10 band, I've hardly ever used fx at all. But I have this as a seperate setup and I'm going full on EVH with it lol.
Agree 100% that it sounds awesome before the overdrive. Thanks guys

I use my orange box in front of gain as well. Used to have the evh phase 90, just make sure it’s after a buffer in the chain or if you are like me you will notice a dulling of your tone in bypass.

Back