Kemper and EVH Combo

Texhex

Brought the EVH Combo home and decided to try something different.

5150 iii is a total value, wish this one had the concentric pots. Anyway it's a blast of an amp.

Stereo Wet:
Kemper profile of the EVH Combo 5150 iii Red Channel
-> Matrix GT1600FX (Randall cab Left / Marshall cab Right)
-> Randall 4x12 V30s/G12T-75s and Marshall 4x12 G12K-100s

Mono Dry:
Kemper direct out (Git Analog) into the EVH Combo with stock G12M Greenbacks.

Tons of low end, feedback and delay and an iPhone recording... but damn it sure is fun. Yeah, it's loud. ;)

FuCK yeah man! Wow... love it when a camera gets the warbled shake from shear volume :LOL: :LOL:

Hey are you able to share that Kemper profile at all? Been struggling with my Kemper lately. I find it challenging finding profiles that sound good thru a cab.

errrrrl":2qtosdve said:
FuCK yeah man! Wow... love it when a camera gets the warbled shake from shear volume :LOL: :LOL:

Hey are you able to share that Kemper profile at all? Been struggling with my Kemper lately. I find it challenging finding profiles that sound good thru a cab.

Attached:

But the attached were made with an IR, all I did in the video was turn off the Cabinet block on the profiler. It was so loud it didn't really matter.

The best way I've found to get good sounding profiles of a speaker cab and amp without using a mic is to use a stereo cab (or two of the same cabinet), a good solid state amp, and a Reactive Load with a Cab out (like a Captor). This lets you run the Kemper and the amp you are profiling into the same cab and listen to the Kemper profile and the amp (A/B) when you are making the profile. If you have all the gear, you set it up like outlined below.

The thing is, that on the real amp you are going to end up EQing the amp, Gain, etc. to sound good for that specific cab at a specific volume in that specific room and then make the profile. The profile will specifically be made for that exact cab so it will probably sound different into a different cab and at a different volume in a different room. Just like if you took your amp somewhere else and plugged it into someone else's cab, if it's a different cab you are probably going to have to EQ the amp differently. I can literally get my Kemper to sound exactly like my amps through the same cabs in the room at a specific volume. That's what I love about the Kemper, once I dial in a killer sound on the amp, I shoot a profile right then and there and I can pull it up anytime but it's also the limitation, you only have that specific sound (it's a kick ass sound) and if you need to adjust it, although you can tweak the Kemper EQ, it's not going to get you what tweaking the amp EQ would.

You have some excellent recordings out there and I really respect your work. The Kemper is very good at recorded, micd up amp sounds too, it mostly comes down the the IR used and there are so damn many of those it can get tough to sift through. I've been using the free God's Cab IRs https://wilkinsonaudio.com/products/gods-cab in this folder "Gods_Cab_1.4\44.1\SM57\NO-TS" and they sound just as good to me as any I've run across.

Anyway, hope this is a help.

2dIdUfo.png

Attachments

• 5150iii.zip
    20.8 KB · Views: 30
Texhex":3erzypkx said:
errrrrl":3erzypkx said:

Attached:

But the attached were made with an IR, all I did in the video was turn off the Cabinet block on the profiler. It was so loud it didn't really matter.

The best way I've found to get good sounding profiles of a speaker cab and amp without using a mic is to use a stereo cab (or two of the same cabinet), a good solid state amp, and a Reactive Load with a Cab out (like a Captor). This lets you run the Kemper and the amp you are profiling into the same cab and listen to the Kemper profile and the amp (A/B) when you are making the profile. If you have all the gear, you set it up like outlined below.

The thing is, that on the real amp you are going to end up EQing the amp, Gain, etc. to sound good for that specific cab at a specific volume in that specific room and then make the profile. The profile will specifically be made for that exact cab so it will probably sound different into a different cab and at a different volume in a different room. Just like if you took your amp somewhere else and plugged it into someone else's cab, if it's a different cab you are probably going to have to EQ the amp differently. I can literally get my Kemper to sound exactly like my amps through the same cabs in the room at a specific volume. That's what I love about the Kemper, once I dial in a killer sound on the amp, I shoot a profile right then and there and I can pull it up anytime but it's also the limitation, you only have that specific sound (it's a kick ass sound) and if you need to adjust it, although you can tweak the Kemper EQ, it's not going to get you what tweaking the amp EQ would.

You have some excellent recordings out there and I really respect your work. The Kemper is very good at recorded, micd up amp sounds too, it mostly comes down the the IR used and there are so damn many of those it can get tough to sift through. I've been using the free God's Cab IRs https://wilkinsonaudio.com/products/gods-cab in this folder "Gods_Cab_1.4\44.1\SM57\NO-TS" and they sound just as good to me as any I've run across.

Anyway, hope this is a help.

2dIdUfo.png
Thank you so much TexHex. What you said makes a lot of sense and I am definitely going to try this since I have similar gear at home. And thanks for the profile as well! :rock:

Back