Kemper vs Two Notes Live/Reload...Wat do?

esizer

So after playing with the eleven rack for years...I have come to the conclusion that it is too much work to get gainier tones from it. I've played with parametic EQ's, post EQ, speaker/mic adjustments..everything. The cleans to mid gain stuff sounds great, so it'll definitely stick around. I've even tried using other IRs like Wall of Sound and it sounded about the same...or maybe even a little worse. I know the latter part is user error. I just want to start making some stuff that sounds better than my previous endeavors and is more fun than recording one part and tweaking it for hours and hours to still be somewhat disappointed.

So that leads me to maybe upgrading how I'm recording...diminishing returns and whatnot. I've used the Kemper before and, when loaded with a good profile, sounds amazing. It sounds very much like a good representation of a mic'd amp. It seems to be the most user friendly unit with the least amount of tweaking to get it to sound right.

I've also heard great stuff about the Two Notes Torpedo Live and Reload. These take an analog signal from input to speaker output and then are finished off with an IR...so less digital stuff in the signal path. I like the amps I have so this option would be great...but on the flip side, it seems like there would be more tweaking involved. Then I would be back to all the EQs and blah blah blah.

I guess I'm just looking for y'all's opinions on which one is more of an "instant gratification" type scenario. I certainly don't mind a little bit of a learning curve...but I'd rather have something I can record stuff with and be happy with the tone for sitting down and busting out a new demo and having fun with it instead of spending the whole time tinkering with shit to get it to sound better.

If you can afford it, Kemper. It does so much more, has decent cab impulses and you can always pick up a torpedo cab cheap later on if you want.

It seems to me like the Two Notes stuff would be the easiest in terms of tweaking. The downfall is you are basically just stuck with the one sound of your amp, and it would have the biggest mess in terms of wires, clutter, etc....

Just kind of my thoughts, but I can only mention it because I have thought about it. I have an Axe-FX II. It is definitely the one you dont want if you dont like tweaking!

Rezamatix":2drji90u said:
esizer":2drji90u said:
Rezamatix":2drji90u said:
Torpedo Live or Torpedo Studio.
Forget the Kemper crap.

What made you choose one over the other?

Here is the thing, the Kemper isn't crap ok. It's cool.
But I want to record my amps, and I'm not entirely sure the one model I get from my amp into the Kemper is the best mic'd up version of that amp.

That being said, everytime I have played a Kemper I have been dissapointed.

You can create many different profiles of the same amp.. Different mic positions change everything. It's ALL about the quality of the profiles with the Kemper. I have used one for a couple years now, and I am really happy with it, It took a little bit to find the right profiles for me. Some of the newer commercial profiles are outstanding.

Rezamatix":2xekspol said:
esizer":2xekspol said:
Rezamatix":2xekspol said:
Torpedo Live or Torpedo Studio.
Forget the Kemper crap.

What made you choose one over the other?

Here is the thing, the Kemper isn't crap ok. It's cool.
But I want to record my amps, and I'm not entirely sure the one model I get from my amp into the Kemper is the best mic'd up version of that amp.

That being said, everytime I have played a Kemper I have been dissapointed.
Well, you HAVE to make a few profiles at varying stages of gain from what I see. I have a Kemper arriving on Wednesday and a lot of the commercially profiles I have bought have MULTIPLE options in each one. Hell, I have a JCM 800 profile that has 16 variations due to mic, placement and gain setting at the time it was captured.

Looks like it takes all of 8 minutes to make a profile and refine it. You are not stuck with one captured sound. I am sure you know this.

I think it all comes down to how much time you want to spend tweaking around with profiles and settings, etc. If you're the type of player that wants to plug into a great sounding head, dial in the tone you're looking for and play, the Torpedo is pretty much a magic bullet and will take most of the headaches out of recording.

But, if you're looking for more sounds, fx, etc and don't necessarily have the kind of gear collection that will get you where you want to be, the Kemper can be very versatile. I agree with Reza in that I've never been entirely impressed with it - I'm sure you can get a lot out of the unit by tweaking, playing with commercial profiles, etc, but at the end of the day I guess I'm just happier plugging into a great sounding head and spending my time playing guitar rather than messing with settings.

Rezamatix":1tgkq1tr said:
Shask":1tgkq1tr said:
It seems to me like the Two Notes stuff would be the easiest in terms of tweaking. The downfall is you are basically just stuck with the one sound of your amp, and it would have the biggest mess in terms of wires, clutter, etc....

Just kind of my thoughts, but I can only mention it because I have thought about it. I have an Axe-FX II. It is definitely the one you dont want if you dont like tweaking!

Lol!!

It's a cable from your amp to the unit , and then one to the Daw...the clutter!!! Run!!!

You have to think of the whole picture, lol.

If you have the Two Notes, then you have a Tube Head sitting around. Most people that have tube heads probably have some pedals they use with it. Those pedals require patch cables. Those pedals also require a power supply. Before you know it you have clutter :)

Big difference from one little box that sits on the desk that has 2 cables attached to it.

The Two notes stuff is great! I had a Torpedo a couple of years back and loved it. It's even better now with the new cabs they have for sale. They are killer sounding!

However, I've been very happy with my Kemper and the quality of tones I get from it is bang on. I don't want to be carrying around a big setup anymore. This thing does it all for me and then some.

esizer":1v0w8uvx said:
I like the amps I have so this option would be great...but on the flip side, it seems like there would be more tweaking involved. Then I would be back to all the EQs and blah blah blah.

Both are great choices of course...but if you like your amp(s).

I never bothered with additional EQ on the Two Notes or did heavy tweaking, just picked an IR and a little bit of movement/placement and done. :)

Well I think it makes more sense for me to go with a Kemper. I have the means to go and profile my amps whenever I want and I won't be limited to just the amps I have. Thanks for all the input.

If you are not happy with your profile just swap the cab for a better one.
I'm able to copy a lot of tone by just using the profile of the same amp and by swapping the cab until i have the right tone.

bmi":6kadjdjp said:
I'm able to copy a lot of tone by just using the profile of the same amp and by swapping the cab until i have the right tone.

I'm not sure a better cab exists once I get my rig profiled :thumbsup: :D

I'm new to the forum, but not to two notes. I replied to a similar question last week, and offer the same perspective. Modelers are easy to pack around, and present a very easy way to obtain great sound. Any engineer with a good background will make signal sound great in the house or in a recorded mix. I have almost gone that way a few times, but instead went with two notes, specifically the CAB. I have a THD hotplate to derive a line level out, because I want the power amp from my head, though I can slave my pre from the send jack of the loop and use the IR power amps to vary my sound. It's really easy to create patches and switch on the fly.
I prefer the ribbon mics in the torpedo, specifically the Royer R121. I own and use the hell out of an R122, and I can say the IR of the Royer is scary on the mark. The different cabs are very good, and the miking parameters are easy to tweak and get fantastic results.
Easy to set-up, easy to use and makes live and studio engineers and production folks happy to work with you. I bought my heads for a reason, and intend to use them forever, even on the quietest of stages-hence a load and the two notes. Check Pete Thorn's videos on you tube on the two notes stuff, he is very thorough.

Cheers

esizer":3cjkzggt said:
bmi":3cjkzggt said:

I'm sure a better one exists after i profiled all my amps. :aww:
This explains that. :LOL: :LOL:

I always fail at micing though i probably have one of the best stack in the world.(jtm45/100 anniversary)
The kemper helps a lot because it cuts the room's reverb.

bmi":bszczfo0 said:
esizer":bszczfo0 said:
bmi":bszczfo0 said:

I'm sure a better one exists after i profiled all my amps. :aww:
This explains that. :LOL: :LOL:

:) I've just been a very big fan of the German made Diezel cab I picked up. There a lot of great cab options out there though that are more complimentary to different styles of music/amps but for modern voiced amps...this is the one for me. :thumbsup:

hstlaurent":2pqitws9 said:
Love the Reload. For recording, I would go with the Live or the Studio.

Can you elaborate? I was thinking about picking one up for recording only and was leaning towards the Reload. The Studio is out of my budget and I thought the Live was geared more towards stage use?

Back