Keto

Losing weight is just about being in a calorie deficit. Just find whatever works to keep you there.

Even if keto turns the body into a fat burning machine, the diet calls for a lot of fat and you still can't eat more calories in fat than you burn.

A lot of the initial keto weight loss happens quick with loss of water weight as the body's glycogen reserves deplete (no carbs to replace them), and the water bound with the depleted glycogen flushes out.

In general, and in theory, the calories in/calories out explanation is legit. However, there is more to the story. I am no doc but have read about the role of hormones in metabolic processes and how ketosis ignites hormones in different ways than glycolysis (which has been studied far more deeply BTW). All I'm saying is that diet in general is not so black and white as many want to believe, and ketosis is no different.

As I mentioned before I am not doing keto to lose weight so my perspective is more from a general health angle. But there is a reason why you hear a lot of anecdotal evidence favoring keto for weight loss. For one, it has been shown to effectively suppress ghrelin, known as the hunger hormone. Secondly, the basic chemistry/physics of the metabolic state via insulin suppression allows tremendous access to burning stored fat. Now if you are gorging yourself with fatty foods then yes your fat burning body will choose the food you are eating first, and weight gain is very possible. But most people in time find a balance that is much more sustainable than simple calorie restriction. Fat and protein are much more satiating than carbohydrates and this is an important distinction as well.

You keeping it up fat boy?
Yes sir. 200lbs right now, feels good I like this weight.

Interesting effect, carbs, and sugar taste like shit now. A few time's I've tried to eat a fry, a potato chip, something really sugary I spit it out. just tastes horrible.

Losing weight is just about being in a calorie deficit. Just find whatever works to keep you there.

Even if keto turns the body into a fat burning machine, the diet calls for a lot of fat and you still can't eat more calories in fat than you burn.

A lot of the initial keto weight loss happens quick with loss of water weight as the body's glycogen reserves deplete (no carbs to replace them), and the water bound with the depleted glycogen flushes out.

We'll it's working fantastic for me. I'm a meat lover, so this diet in in my wheelhouse.

Last major diet I did was about 15 years ago when I got close to the 230lb mark back then. I limited calorie, and fat intake to the recommenced daily values (or slightly bellow for the first month). I lost too much weight, I know I was burning muscle.

Friends and family swore I had to be on drugs lol. 6ft at 155lbs is not a good look. lol

In general, and in theory, the calories in/calories out explanation is legit. However, there is more to the story. I am no doc but have read about the role of hormones in metabolic processes and how ketosis ignites hormones in different ways than glycolysis (which has been studied far more deeply BTW). All I'm saying is that diet in general is not so black and white as many want to believe, and ketosis is no different.

As I mentioned before I am not doing keto to lose weight so my perspective is more from a general health angle. But there is a reason why you hear a lot of anecdotal evidence favoring keto for weight loss. For one, it has been shown to effectively suppress ghrelin, known as the hunger hormone. Secondly, the basic chemistry/physics of the metabolic state via insulin suppression allows tremendous access to burning stored fat. Now if you are gorging yourself with fatty foods then yes your fat burning body will choose the food you are eating first, and weight gain is very possible. But most people in time find a balance that is much more sustainable than simple calorie restriction. Fat and protein are much more satiating than carbohydrates and this is an important distinction as well.

Yeah man, this diet just feels right.

Early humans were not out on in the African grasslands baking bread, and making sweet tea. They are eating meat, fat, berries, etc..

Our bodies are not tuned for the shit we eat in a modern society.

Yeah man, this diet just feels right.

Early humans were not out on in the African grasslands baking bread, and making sweet tea. They are eating meat, fat, berries, etc..

Our bodies are not tuned for the shit we eat in a modern society.
The evolution of the human diet is fascinating. If you have time, this is an excellent video that really identifies low carb as the closest connection to our ancestors.

The evolution of the human diet is fascinating. If you have time, this is an excellent video that really identifies low carb as the closest connection to our ancestors.

I have a few vegan friends on FB. One guy posted a picture of a cow being slaughtered, and said how do you feel about eating meat now?
I said: Makes me hungry for a nice steak. That triggered all his vegan buddies, then the attacks were on.

A week later he posted a picture of a Lion, and boasted about how amazing this animal is.
I responded with a video of a pack of lions feeding on a live zebra. Haha, the Vegans fucking lost it on me dude.

I don't eat meat. I'm not morally opposed to the concept, but modern-style animal farming has major issues, at least to me, both from a moral and environmental perspective. But I don't want to sound judgmental. The rest of my family eats steaks and burgers and whatever. Just my choice.

The arguments about how meat/fat are more satiating or suppresses hunger; that all may be correct but it starts coming back to the idea that keto works because it helps some people not over eat. That seems to be the key: find whatever strategy that works for you to avoid over eating.

It depends much on a person's chemistry and metabolism. I can stay lean with carbs, others cannot. No one shoe fits all, which is why it's wrong to promote a particular eating regime to everyone. I know people who failed miserably on keto, and if you're into bodybuilding, muscle fullness and appearance requires sufficient carbs in order to fill out (one part glycogen holds three parts water in muscles, giving them that full appearance).

I don't eat meat. I'm not morally opposed to the concept, but modern-style animal farming has major issues, at least to me, both from a moral and environmental perspective. But I don't want to sound judgmental. The rest of my family eats steaks and burgers and whatever. Just my choice.

The arguments about how meat/fat are more satiating or suppresses hunger; that all may be correct but it starts coming back to the idea that keto works because it helps some people not over eat. That seems to be the key: find whatever strategy that works for you to avoid over eating.
Respect that.

I agree about problems with modern farming. I try to buy free range, and organic meat as much as possible.

It depends much on a person's chemistry and metabolism. I can stay lean with carbs, others cannot. No one shoe fits all, which is why it's wrong to promote a particular eating regime to everyone. I know people who failed miserably on keto, and if you're into bodybuilding, muscle fullness and appearance requires sufficient carbs in order to fill out (one part glycogen holds three parts water in muscles, giving them that full appearance).

Yeah I agree.

Most people I know have done really well on keto. Now that being said some I know have failed, but..... that being said, these same people have failed at every diet.

As far as the bodybuilding, and keto. there is cyclical keto (i.e. 5-6 days on keto, 2-1 days off). It's not definitive it works. I've had good results with it.

I agree with the primal diet however, our environment is different than it was 10,000 years ago. The air perhaps, water, pressure might be different. Stress levels have to be much higher today. We probably need to consume more water than they did. Like isn't it recommended to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day? Who knows if our primal ancestors needed to drink as much water.

I don't really have a point though haha

Back