Killer ‘All in One’ warm-up and technique maintenance exercises?

PDC

Curious to know what some of the forum members are doing for warm-up before digging into playing or for daily technique maintenance? I found this video and after getting this one under my fingertips and picking hand, I have been running through it every day:

I am old. I have been playing for ever. And I have found that I just don’t have the time for groups of 3 and groups of 4 in all 7 modes of all 12 keys (before starting on pentatonics) every day of my life like I did when I was young and OCD. So I’m trying to find a way to eliminate as much overlap in my practice routine as possible while still maintaining my chops. Thank you all! Looking forward to see what some of you guys are doing!

I love Uncle Ben but Troy Stetina is the rock instruction king. I use his Metal Rhythm and Lead Volume 1 as my warmup. I run through all the exercises in the book except the first couple of chapters which are very easy. Then I go back and focus on getting down the stuff I need to. I will move on to Volumes 2 when I get this down but as a warm up for me, it can't be beat because it is fun to play through and teaches me so many different techniques and theory.

https://www.troystetina.com/book-audio-dvd-methods

I'm curious, as well.
That one I originally posted is a pretty darned good one for getting all 4 fingers involved with heavy emphasis on inside and outside alternate picking. Another one I have broken out recently are the 2 harmonies to the main theme / melody of Racer-X Scarified. Again, they just seem to hit all 4 fingers of the left hand and emphasizes inside and outside string crossing.

I think playing guitar is ‘sort of’ like going to the gym. There’s an old saying that the best workout is the one you’re not doing - because we seem to acclimate pretty quickly and efficiently to anything that feels new.

Ben Eller has good tips.

But I focus on a couple specific scales in specific keys, and change it up frequently.

I don't have 7/12 type time either.

Generally phrygian dominant and harmonic minor and pentatonic get the majority of my time.

That seems to be key for me. And finding passages that force me to play a certain way (i.e. the 'right' way) or else. There are certain passages where if I don't play it 'correctly' I have no chance of pulling it off at tempo.
This is EXACTLY why I do it that way. You can't play harmonic minor descending fours without doing it 'right' at any moderate or above speed.

This is EXACTLY why I do it that way. You can't play harmonic minor descending fours without doing it 'right' at any moderate or above speed.
Ha, the particular thing I had in mind when I wrote that was the part in this song starting at about 1:00 (and again at 4:00...weird how they nailed that). Going up and then reversing direction a couple of times, all while keeping it crisp is hard. I have to use the right muscles/motions or I'm fucked.

Ha, the particular thing I had in mind when I wrote that was the part in this song starting at about 1:00 (and again at 4:00...weird how they nailed that). Going up and then reversing direction a couple of times, all while keeping it crisp is hard. I have to use the right muscles/motions or I'm fucked.

That's funny, I always think of that run before the main riff starts again in masked jackal

Damn you Tommy T Baron! Fucking guitar hero!

Back