Who has a good practice routine they follow they can share?

Matt300ZXT

Alright guys, I have the attention span of a dog seeing a squirrel sometimes and I need to focus and show some discipline. I purchased a year subscription to Music Is Win's lessons and was learning some cool new stuff, but it is EXTREMELY theory drenched at first and a bit overwhelming. I was spending lots of time with it, but then started watching a bunch of videos and researching Maine since I was working towards moving up that way and my focus in my freetime shifted to that. While I have just recently started getting back into actually playing guitar more and getting my chops back up to where they were a few months ago when I was playing/practicing 4-6 hours a day, I may need some fresh new meat.

I have been playing 30'ish years and would consider myself beginner levels of advanced. I know some theory, I have enough speed and dexterity to play most any actually humanly attainable guitar solo (if I had the patience, or need to actually learn it), but I need a list of exercises and drills to sit down and actually work on. When I'm just noodling around, I always go back to the exact same handful of licks and such and it gets annoying. Every time I see a YouTube video where some guitar god wants to push "practice this" or "this is a good daily routine" it almost always comes up empty and seems like clickbait or you have to pay for their $59.99 course that only focuses on that one thing. If I paid for every course I found, I'd be broke and there'd be so much to do at once, nothing would come of it.

I like the videos like Cameron Cooper, Robert Baker, etc put on YouTube where they're showing some cool licks to add to your repertoire, but there's never really any tabs you can get and I don't have the patience to sit there and pause/restart the video 100 times just to tab down what they're doing so I can practice it later.

Anyways, if any of you have a practice routine you wanna share with me, I'd really appreciate it. I'm thinking something like here are some drills to start with to warm up your fingers and get them moving, here's some scale patterns you can play afterwards that'll help ingrain your modes and here's the progression you're playing it over, after that play these cool progressions with these chord voicings and inversions, and here's some tabs of licks for playing in the style of this guy, that guy, etc.

If needed, you can find the tabs for the below - there are even YT videos, just run a "Frank Gambale chop builder" search on YT:

http://philbguitar.blogspot.com/2012/01/ultimate-interval-workout.html
https://www.guitar9.com/column/hanon-style-scale-sequences

Pull up some backing tracks and you can use this for a host of different scales and even set it to your tunings, etc to work on improvisation:
http://www.scalerator.com/
There's a ton of stuff out there, just run google searches for exactly what you are looking for but hopefully the above helps some

OMG you blew my mind with some of that stuff, that'll give me something fun to tinker with today and maybe incorporate. That scalerator thing is cool!

is it on a Patreon? I Googled it and the only thing it came up with is his Patreon. I was a member of Ben Eller's Patreon for about 5 minutes, I hate that format :(
Seems yes, I just saw it on insta and shared info with you in case you like his technique.

I recently revamped my whole routine…

I spend no more than an hour on warmup/technique

2 hours for composition/recording

2 hours for learning a song by ear

I don’t force myself to do all the things everyday but keep a happy medium

When something starts to bore me, I push myself towards something that doesn’t bore me

It’s so easy to get burnt out, I have to remind myself why I enjoy what I enjoy

Also, I can’t hit the 5 hour mark each day, sometimes it’s just 1-2 hours and that’s ok…

just make some amount of measurable progress. For me that is increasing bpm, composing and recording things that push my limits and also learning songs by my heroes!

I recently revamped my whole routine…

I spend no more than an hour on warmup/technique

2 hours for composition/recording

2 hours for learning a song by ear

I don’t force myself to do all the things everyday but keep a happy medium

When something starts to bore me, I push myself towards something that doesn’t bore me

It’s so easy to get burnt out, I have to remind myself why I enjoy what I enjoy

Also, I can’t hit the 5 hour mark each day, sometimes it’s just 1-2 hours and that’s ok…

just make some amount of measurable progress. For me that is increasing bpm, composing and recording things that push my limits and also learning songs by my heroes!
Have mercy on your wrists man lol

Have mercy on your wrists man lol

Lol, when I started it was rough…not on wrists but on my shoulder blades!

They loosened up with a lot of stretching and now no problems!!

Also, I play 11s in standard tuning and 12s when dropped one step so if you’re playing lighter strings, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Lol, when I started it was rough…not on wrists but on my shoulder blades!

They loosened up with a lot of stretching and now no problems!!

Also, I play 11s in standard tuning and 12s when dropped one step so if you’re playing lighter strings, YOU CAN DO IT!!!
I play 10-50 in standart, but I have pain in wrist, kind of carpal tunnel, when I play a lot, so be cautious.

Right shoulder blade too, but that is because I need to play standing to increase space for right hand to rest and don’t be too constricted

I play 10-50 in standart, but I have pain in wrist, kind of carpal tunnel, when I play a lot, so be cautious.

Right shoulder blade too, but that is because I need to play standing to increase space for right hand to rest and don’t be too constricted
Damn I’m sorry to hear that, have you see a doctor at all?

Done any stretching to help alleviate? I can share some if you’d like

I am gonna visit a doc, although my case is not ferocious, just mildly uncomfortable.

Yes, I started to do som basic stretches before I play.
Hope you feel better man, any time I start feeling any amount of stress (and I never let it get to pain), I just stop and walk away for at least 15 minutes

Then stretching and after 15 minutes it’s usually ok

Do you do some special stretching or the regular thing?

So I started with these exercises and they really helped me unlock my shoulders which were the root cause of my issues…go slow but do them every day and you should start to see improvements pretty quick!

Edit: I just realized that’s just one of the exercises, i have the video recorded, let me see if I can post it somehow

Back