KISS fans....come on in...

I find Vinnies' soloing cringe worthy on those 2 albums and even worse on the Invasion albums ... I agree though he is a fantastic songwriter
I actually love his playing on COTN and LIU, it's where he should have been. His solo stuff is unlistenable to me though.

The Bruce Kulick era had a pretty huge effect on me when I was first getting into guitar back in '86. I was 12 and a big fan of people like Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, Georgy Lynch and David Gilmour but I also loved Bruce's playing on the unmasked-era KISS albums. He was hot & bluesy plus their songs were a lot more complex than their earlier work. Even so I could play a lot of it. This is back when I was playing 10-12 hours a day if not more. I love almost every KISS album except for the Vinnie Vincent stuff. I've always felt he was fast without any real feel or melody and his stuff always felt boring to me.

You guys are aware that Vinnie didn't play quite a few solos during "his" time, right ? Steve Farris (MR. Mister) played the solo on the title track of COTN, Robben Ford played on two songs on that album, and Rick Derringer played the Exciter solo on LIU.

You guys are aware that Vinnie didn't play quite a few solos during "his" time, right ? Steve Farris (MR. Mister) played the solo on the title track of COTN, Robben Ford played on two songs on that album, and Rick Derringer played the Exciter solo on LIU.
Farris still gets a ton of interest for the solo on the title track Creatures of the Night. In fact when Gene had EVH in the studio Ed told him they should hire Farris. He would have gotten the job but he cannot sing backup at all. Robben Fords solo is fantastic as well. That whole track is interesting in the fact the production is perfect on that song - it has a pristine yet analog feel. I'd recommend for anyone to put that tune on their turntable and crank it up. It's so clean but heavy. Obviously I'm a huge fan but COTN is really the only Kiss album I go back to on a regular basis.

IMO most of Vinnie's solo's are pretty restrained on those albums, good playing with some nice speedy flurries here or there. Absolutely nothing like his solo albums. IMO, both COTN and LIU albums still stand the test of time.

Now St. John, I don't care for his playing, it's all over the place and IMO very unmelodic.

Kulick is great player but Bruce's real "soul" came out on Revenge. Without question in my opinion his best playing with Kiss. Great player but he's hit or miss with me on their albums besides Revenge. He could pull all that stuff off with ease but to me, it just never seemed in his wheelhouse until he got to Revenge.

I'd bet money Bruce's solo on Unholy was lifted from Vinnie, it just sounds like Vinnie to me.

Robben Ford played on 2 cuts on COTN if I remember right, not just one.

The production on COTN is fantastic ! Huge drum sounds, heavy but clear and clean. They hit it out of the park on that.

I'd bet money Bruce's solo on Unholy was lifted from Vinnie, it just sounds like Vinnie to me.

Robben Ford played on 2 cuts on COTN if I remember right, not just one.

The production on COTN is fantastic ! Huge drum sounds, heavy but clear and clean. They hit it out of the park on that.
Yes, he played the solo on Rock n Roll Hell as well. A co-write with Bryan Adams of all people. Badass song.

Vinnie played solo's on Danger, I love it Loud, Keep me Comin, Killer, War Machine and one of my fav tracks on that album Saint and Sinner.

And yes the production was just massive. I remember thinking, this is what I always wanted them to sound like. Especially coming off The Elder. Alot of fans wished they had never released The Elder and put out COTN instead. My view is they had to hit rock bottom in order to release COTN. It really was starting over for them.

Last edited:
I saw Kiss around 96-97. I wasn’t a huge fan but thought it would be fun. It was an awesome experience. I was a big Nirvana, PJ, STP, AIC fan at the time and it was very cool to see a band go absolutely all out for the fans. Everything in that show was about the audience having a good time. Had a blast and definitely made me appreciate what they bring to the table.

Yes, he played the solo on Rock n Roll Hell as well. A co-write with Bryan Adams of all people. Badass song.

Vinnie played solo's on Danger, I love it Loud, Keep me Comin, Killer, War Machine and one of my fav tracks on that album Saint and Sinner.

And yes the production was just massive. I remember thinking, this is what I always wanted them to sound like. Especially coming off The Elder. Alot of fans wished they had never released The Elder and put out COTN instead. My view is they had to hit rock bottom in order to release COTN. It really was starting over for them.
I always read Saint and Sinner was Robben Ford.

I always read Saint and Sinner was Robben Ford.
Yeah there's an interview out there on youtube with Robben where he states that it was RnR Hell and I Still Love You, called it his weirdest gig lol. Both solo's are great and VV is perfect on Saint and Sinner. When the guy plays like that he has something to say. IMO.

Something about VV tone...
I read somewhere that when Wolf Hoffman, guitarist of Accept, heard VV play in a Kiss concert(COTN era)he was so shocked with VV's tone that the next day got himself the emg 81 and used it for decades since moved to fishman fluence..

Well, being an "Ace" in 2 working KISS tributes... you could say I'm a fan! LOL! KISS has been a YUGE part of my life and highly responsible for my love of music and desire to play guitar.

I saw Kiss around 96-97. I wasn’t a huge fan but thought it would be fun. It was an awesome experience. I was a big Nirvana, PJ, STP, AIC fan at the time and it was very cool to see a band go absolutely all out for the fans. Everything in that show was about the audience having a good time. Had a blast and definitely made me appreciate what they bring to the table.
The first reunion was the first time I got to see them live and it was mind blowing to see it, loud and in person. Went to a pre-show barbecue where a bunch of us got made up. Went as Paul as I felt he was unrepresented with all the Gene’s...lol Being in a band at the time it really got me more interested in playing a real show instead of the usual, dress street and don’t look too interested..lol. Starting wearing non street clothes and moving around more, throwing the foot on the monitor when soloing, actually lookin and interacting with people in the audience. Was so tired of the 90’s aesthetic for live performance as I grew up on 70’s and 80’s rock and metal.

Love those early albums, just wish they were mastered better. Alive just sounds so much better than those first 3 albums.

And I can totally see why people dislike Kiss, but I really like them, even some of there panned late 70s and early 80s albums.

Being in a band at the time it really got me more interested in playing a real show instead of the usual, dress street and don’t look too interested..lol.
Always hated that approach. Grunge and indie screwed us over in that regard.
Being in gigging bands myself for the last 25 years or so and dressing the part, I too subscribe to the notion that if you're in a bar or club, and the band that will or has perform(ed) is walking around, you should be able to recognize them as 'the band' instead of another audience member.
IMO, people come to see you perform and put up a show, instead of doing a paid rehearsal in street clothes, while looking down mopey at your shoes or God forbid, sandals/flip-flops. Otherwise you might as well stay in your garage or basement, jammin' with your buddies. :cautious:

Back