Kramer Pacer question

paulyc

To those of you (you know who you are !!!) that have experience/love for Kramer guitars, I'm looking for info on a Kramer Pacer with a C neckplate with a serial number of 09XX, is this a legit serial number ? And what do you suppose the current value is ? Its candy red with flaking clearcoat, 2 hum, chrome hardware, probably 82-84, rosewood board beak headstock, unmolested except LP style toggle switch in the original (enlarged) hole with the original hard case. Buyer is asking $1200... it's OG for sure. Thanks for any help !!!

In my experience, the quality of those are so hit and miss, that I wouldn't touch it at $1200 IMO. Also, keep in mind that those have vintage frets, if that bothers you. Some times a nice, old MIJ Focus is a better buy.

I can try before I buy, it's semi local to me, so that's not a big concern. But thank you for the input.

Should be a flat neck plate, with serial engraved and Made in USA on it. More than likely chrome, but if it's black then it's a special order. Early C plate with beak neck sounds right. Should be an R2 nut, but I've seen some R5's on the rare occasion too. Will be heavy as all get out, as it should be a maple body. Probably not too bad on the price, as the Kramer stuff (like everything else) has gone through the roof. The modded toggle hurts it a bit, but if you like it.. I say go for it!

Yes, flat plate engraved with made in USA on it, chrome hardware. Frets are beefy. Thanks for the reply !
Does it still have the Schaller pickups in it? If it's stock, will have Schaller's. No branding, but the bobbins will look a bit "flat"and textured.

I've been talking myself into, and out of this one on reverb for months. Next to the non-scarf joint nanner head and the beak, this is my favorite Kramer neck. Transitional, with the skunk stripe. You don't see them very often. I just know how much is going to weigh, and it gives me some pause. lol

Kramer Pacer Imperial, U.S. Made, 1985 Candy Apple Red, Serial Number: E1415 https://reverb.com/item/63462429?ut...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=63462429

I've been talking myself into, and out of this one on reverb for months. Next to the non-scarf joint nanner head and the beak, this is my favorite Kramer neck. Transitional, with the skunk stripe. You don't see them very often. I just know how much is going to weigh, and it gives me some pause. lol

Kramer Pacer Imperial, U.S. Made, 1985 Candy Apple Red, Serial Number: E1415 https://reverb.com/item/63462429?ut...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=63462429
Man that's clean ! I don't think I've ever seen a skunk stripe Kramer !?

Man that's clean ! I don't think I've ever seen a skunk stripe Kramer !?
Yes it is, and if the guys story checks out RE: Buddy Blaze it's got some cool history too. They are called traditional, or tranny necks. They are a three piece like the later pointy neck, but have the banana head stock. Kinda rare.

I have a friend that is left handed and he got two Elliot Easton Kramers back in the day that Buddy Blaze made, the tell was a tiny hole drilled in the neck near where your thumb would go in first position and a little dark wood colored dowl was stuck in the hole and glued. Both necks had it. One of the best necks I've ever felt to this day, but left handed (beak) maple necks.

Thinking more about it, that neck on the reverb guitar doesn't look like a three piece, like the pointies. I may have been mistaken about the construction on those. But, it's consistent with other tranny Kramer necks I've seen. I'd still like to have it, just can't bring myself to pull the trigger just yet.

Thinking more about it, that neck on the reverb guitar doesn't look like a three piece, like the pointies. I may have been mistaken about the construction on those. But, it's consistent with other tranny Kramer necks I've seen. I'd still like to have it, just can't bring myself to pull the trigger just yet.
Yep, its got that 90 degree cut across that says "tranny" to me :p

Should be a flat neck plate, with serial engraved and Made in USA on it. More than likely chrome, but if it's black then it's a special order. Early C plate with beak neck sounds right. Should be an R2 nut, but I've seen some R5's on the rare occasion too. Will be heavy as all get out, as it should be a maple body. Probably not too bad on the price, as the Kramer stuff (like everything else) has gone through the roof. The modded toggle hurts it a bit, but if you like it.. I say go for it!
I have a C serial pacer body in the garage that is trans green/dark blue. It's super light for some reason. No where as heavy as my old tilt Hockey stick era Pacer that was Maple! I suspect it's a light piece of Poplar. Is there really a market for this stuff?

Weird. I have never seen a no scarf Kramer neck like that.

I have a C serial pacer body in the garage that is trans green/dark blue. It's super light for some reason. No where as heavy as my old tilt Hockey stick era Pacer that was Maple! I suspect it's a light piece of Poplar. Is there really a market for this stuff?
I’ll buy that body ASAP If it’s for sale !!!

All of the early Pacers I've had were maple body, but that's not to say there may be others that weren't. I just know I've had a bunch of them, and all were Les Paul heavy. lol I had a beak neck deluxe, and several Pacer Imperials. All of them pre-84's. My favorite neck is the non-scarf joint banana head, followed by the beak. I've never owned a tranny, but I would take that over the typical scarf jointed neck just from a reliability standpoint. Although I'd probably say, if the scarf joint was going to fail it would have done so by now.

I can't recall any of them having a gasket behind the neck plate, but it's been a really long time ago since I've had them. So, it's possible they may have had one.

Back