KSE cover: the 5150 is still king! *driftwood added*

VESmedic

Little cover I did of to bid farewell. The 5150 just, works... period. Fantastic tone to me here, really proud of how this turned out.

Engl 4x12: creamback 65 watt mic’d
maxon 808 boost
Vintage unidyne 57

Bass: parallax, LTD AP-5, SSL E channel slammed

Drums: death and darkness toontrack

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/BKzhupC6FmxgRm4k8

****added***

driftwood purple nightmare reamp: peppers dirty tree up front.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/H7ZDxq5BCk5XuXxk7

Last edited:
Sounds Killer! Very Crunchy! I like how forward you put the guitars in the mix!:2thumbsup:
It’s Alittle tooooo much listening back, drums get lost slightly but it’s an easy fix. I hate sounding like a guitar player who mixed a song haha, and that’s what I hear right now, but still killer! I prefer this tone over the record by far, so I’ll take that!

That is a very professional sounding mix, especially since you were live micing an amp.

So I applaud your recording skills! Your guitar tone is very clear and present yet had tons of depth on the chugs.

That is a very professional sounding mix, especially since you were live micing an amp.

So I applaud your recording skills! Your guitar tone is very clear and present yet had tons of depth on the chugs.

Thanks!

So for what it’s worth, I have a huge custom made iso box that I bought off of my boy engineer/producer mark Lewis. It’s 4.5 feet long, 4 feet tall, and has a top. The inside is completely covered with rock wool and the framing was built to perfectly place in 4 inch rock wool that measured 24x48 on all 5 sides ( including the top) of the box. Held together by magnets, made of birch. It’s sick. And huge haha, I can put 2 4x12s in it. Now does it make it sound better? Eh, I dunno, maybe. Close micing amps with mics like 57s, the room doesn’t really effect much. It definitely doesn’t make it sound worse, I can tell you that. I feel that my tones do seem tighter and more focused and in your face with the isocab for what it’s worth.

I’ll post pics of it later if anyone is interested, it’s pretty awesome I gotta say.
I’m also going to reamp with my other amps for anyone interested, including Herbert, rev F recto, and driftwood purple nightmare.

A little too abrasive and granular sounding for me, i tend to like a smoother top end, but it's a good tone for what it is.
Thanks! I agree, well Atleast on the overall mix, I boosted the highs too much on the drums, not a big deal but I hear it now. It’s amazing how much the brightness of the drums or lack there of influence the perception of the mix.

We have similar settings. I run my gain a little lower around 3.5

when boosting, I generally do as well, however for some reason these DI’s I made weren’t hitting hard enough to the amp, so I boosted it higher than I normally do when goosing the front end of the 5150. Same thing with the driftwood, boost and gain ended up being much higher than I normally use just playing straight into the amp.

E85D9014-4138-4739-B851-3B02BD8BBFBE.jpeg

here are some pics of my isobox. It was a great build, and works great. I just put the cabs in there and place the cabs on cinderblocks to decouple them from the floor and get rid of some floor resonance in my house.
3795DABC-0182-47F5-971E-66B485B4ABF6.jpeg

when boosting, I generally do as well, however for some reason these DI’s I made weren’t hitting hard enough to the amp, so I boosted it higher than I normally do when goosing the front end of the 5150. Same thing with the driftwood, boost and gain ended up being much higher than I normally use just playing straight into the amp.
Yeah that makes sense.

Back