Leave it or fill it?

psychodave

So after almost 8 years of playing this Charvel, I finally wore through the paint. My issue is the surface isn’t smooth since wood is actually getting worn away. I was think of either using clear or white nitro to pool it in the spot and just lightly buff it flush.

Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• 1714679277081.jpeg
    1714679277081.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 108
IIRC, there are some nail polish that are nitrocellulose based? I remember someone either telling me they used nail polish or recommended using nail polish on a nitro finished guitar back in the day...but if you have a nitro lacquer for guitar, even better.

Great advice on this thread. I’d totally leave it - maybe swab sone tung oil or Danish oil in the bare spot. But I think that just gives an already ‘cool as hell’ guitar more Mojo.

Leave it, it shows your not a tan pant wall art / obsessed with resale value guy. Real wear is cool and shows you’ve dedicated time to playing.

I'd leave it...

About 16 yrs ago I stupidly sold my Hamer USA Centaura that was my #1 gigger for about 17 yrs. I finally took a buffer to it and the finish checking was so cool...it was buried under years of gigs in smoke filled bars. I could tell where every damn dent/scratch came from too. Ugh.
My point is, that REAL aging/wear is great. The fake stuff is, just fake.

You could put one of those fake bullet hole stickers people put on their car. :ROFLMAO:

Or leave it…and cut your nails more often.

It all depends on if it bothers you or not..... if it bothers you have it filled and refinished to match the aging of the original finish.

If it doesn't bother you enjoy your battle scar........guitars that are so pristine that you can't tell them from new tells me they are not good playing guitars and thus equate to wall art. When you find one's that are comfortable, play and sound great they end up with BATTLE SCARS!:yes:

My 1983 Gibson LP Custom was in the wall art category.... I was happy to sell it for what I paid...it sure was pretty to look at though.:dunno:

Back