Lets talk tubes.. what's everyone using in their Nitro?

Bash_Man

I know I know.. the question probably gets asked a million times.. But hey, lets keep things alive :)

Nitro users.. what are you using for Power and Preamp tubes?

Right Now I've got:
V1 - TungSol 12at7
V2 - Mullard CV4004
V3 - Mullard CV4004
V4 - Sovtek 12ax7LPS

I think one of my Mullards may have gone microphonic, gotta test it later this week.

Thanks

My Street Rod preamp tubes... not sure, did some swapping, I know there's a JJ or two in there and maybe an EHX.

Important safety tip... don't put drinks on your amp! Went to an audition and apparently the glass of water I set on the amp at a previous audition had slopped a bit and shorted something out, flipped it on, got a nasty hum, tube flashed and the amp was dead... Took it to my fave tech and he said there were water spots on one of the power tubes. :eek: Fried the tube and took the screen resistor with it. He got it fixed up with JJ EL34s and now it sounds better than ever! Sorry long story but thought I'd share. :cool:

My Street Rod preamp tubes... not sure, did some swapping, I know there's a JJ or two in there and maybe an EHX.

Important safety tip... don't put drinks on your amp! Went to an audition and apparently the glass of water I set on the amp at a previous audition had slopped a bit and shorted something out, flipped it on, got a nasty hum, tube flashed and the amp was dead... Took it to my fave tech and he said there were water spots on one of the power tubes. :eek: Fried the tube and took the screen resistor with it. He got it fixed up with JJ EL34s and now it sounds better than ever! Sorry long story but thought I'd share. :cool:
Don't Splawns come with Splawn Branded Chinese 12ax7b?

one of my power tubes red plated as soon as it arrived new but luckily I had a pair of JJ |EL-34's right in the same bias zone as the tubes that I pulled. I have JJ in V1 and the Chinese that came with the amp. I tried JJ's all across and it got too dark. I've got tons of tubes here to roll just haven't gotten around to it yet as it sounds so good as is.

Last edited:
V1 Tung-Sol 12AX7
JJ 12AX7
JJ 12AX7
PI Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Genelex Gold Lion KT88's

Normally I am not the biggest fan of JJ Preamp tubes, but that's what I have found best over the last few years. The Sovtek 12AX7LPS is a great PI tube, they are the only new production PI tubes that I regularly use. Not to say that I don't have others, but they are a great tube. The Tung-Sol in V1 are great and that's generally what I use in the first slot on the modded Marshall kind of thing.

V1 Tung-Sol 12AX7
JJ 12AX7
JJ 12AX7
PI Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Genelex Gold Lion KT88's

Normally I am not the biggest fan of JJ Preamp tubes, but that's what I have found best over the last few years. The Sovtek 12AX7LPS is a great PI tube, they are the only new production PI tubes that I regularly use. Not to say that I don't have others, but they are a great tube. The Tung-Sol in V1 are great and that's generally what I use in the first slot on the modded Marshall kind of thing.
I've tried a number of 12ax7s in the PI socket and the Sovtek always goes back in there.

Have you tried the JJ E83CC in V2 and V3? I recently put those in my Nitro and it gave it an even tighter clearer sound but added more aggressiveness to the high-mid. Kept the gain at good amounts too.

I've tried a number of 12ax7s in the PI socket and the Sovtek always goes back in there.

Have you tried the JJ E83CC in V2 and V3? I recently put those in my Nitro and it gave it an even tighter clearer sound but added more aggressiveness to the high-mid. Kept the gain at good amounts too.
I have not tried a E83CC. next time I place a tube order I will though. I have been curious about them.

Back